The Apolyton Toponimy Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Toponimy Committee

Welcome everyone to the start of the Apolyton Toponimy Committee!

Now, what is the point of this new, currently totally unofficial Committee? It is to give name to our world.
    Right now a few natural features like Abananaba and Ubers Isle have names, but most features don't. How can we live in a world without names? The rivers, lakes, mountains, plains, they all have names in th world, and they will in ours soon.

So, currently this committee includes just myself. I know from previous times that BigFurryMonster has shown interest, and there was original backing from the FM. First order of business is to get members. So, if you want to be a member, PM me.

Second order of business: to decide how we shall proceed with names. Now, this first includes deciding what features are to be named. As the previous thread on the subject states, the simplest place to start is Uber Isle.
    After we decide what there is to be named, we must choose the method of getting names and making them official. We have at least three options:

1. Having names submitted to the ATC and having the ATC decide.
    2.Having names submitted to the ATC, and then making a public poll to decide.
    3. Having the ATC give features to citizens, so that they name them. If we go this way, we have to find a fair way of handing out features, to make sure everyone who wants to name something gets to name something, and also perhaps put some small rules to keep names ocnsistent and within Apolyton rules.

Then there is the issue of creating a store of these names, and maps for the public.

There might be more issues, including legal ones. Also, if anyone already has named something in public, or a name has become common usage- say so, so that things are not name twice.

Again, welcome to the beginning of the Apolyton Toponimy Committee!
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

I like option 2. If we get a consensus on a name it will most likely stick. As for being official, why does it have to be official? Uber Isle and Abananaba were never made official, just accepted. If we put together a poll, and there is a winner, I feel people will accept it (then we just have to have the ELECTED ministers start using the names in threads).
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Definitly not opt.1

There is always some dirtbag who autocraticly want to name
      a city/place after himself. And too many stoopid nicknames
      are already present.

e.g. if I say Plaguetown, what would you respond?

I say opt.2 sounds like democracy...
      My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

I like option two as well. Though I fear there will be an awful amount of polls required.
        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
            I like option two as well. Though I fear there will be an awful amount of polls required.
            Yeah, it could... But not if the poster does some Thinker-work!
            He could post many names in one thread.
            Using the five most popular there for the five
            (already silly-named) cities. Or something like that?

Comment

this is for land features not city names...
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

it could supervise naming cities as well, don. who is going to be in this commitee? i would love to

Comment

We have a way of naming cities, and I highly doubt it will be part of the Committe's job-as that may entail CoL changes. As donegeal said, we will be naming features.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I really like this idea, the whole "name our geographic features" idea, but it could prove to be a truly large task. I think the City Planner and Imperial Expansionist ministers should have something to do with the naming, but I believe we should of course hold votes on the better ideas.

I can imagine it would be hard to support a project as this however, due to it's sheer grandness...
                    Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                      We have a way of naming cities, and I highly doubt it will be part of the Committe's job-as that may entail CoL changes. As donegeal said, we will be naming features.
                      Oh my great Bannanicus! CoL... what you mean? Constitution?
                      Has our sacred Constitution allowed for this ridiculous city-naming system. Look at all those names: Timeline one is called... Timeline, what kind of word is that?! It's as silly as... uh,
                      ehrrr, ThePlagueElephant .

Well I have to ease my self down and look into our Constitution
                      once more. Does someone have a link to it?
                      Some judge ought to help me, or I'll call my lawyer!

Comment

PlagueRat, there's a link to the CoL in the Topped thread called "Term 4 Forum Directory"

But, just for you:

Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Oh, thanks a lot man!

Comment

Holy Nude Banana!
                            I could not find anything in our law concerning
                            the city-naming system.
                            Does the officials really say they are on the right side of it?

I gotta talk with one of these guys:
                            - Current Judges: notyoueither, Epistax, jdjdjd, Kramerman, Sheik

They could be talking impeachment, you know?!
                            So maybe I should leave it, and then post a new amendment thread instead?

Comment

*** Bump ***

Not sure how many member there are in this group yet, as I haven't heard from GePap in a while about the ATC, but I think we should start making threads about what to name stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X