Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or would it be a civil war?

Comment

Davout, I was converted when Trotsky appears to me in a dream, an epiphany, and told me that changes happens, and he was promoted to Saint. I'm planning to build a cathedral dedicated to him in every city, the "First Saint Lev Davidovich Bronstein Cathedral", the “Second Saint Lev Davidovich Bronstein Cathedral” and etc. You know, "panis et circensis". We can change the bread (panis) into bananas, but we don't have clowns enough for the circus (well, I may be wrong… ). However, we have priests. A lot of them... So, let's make Cathedrals!
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I support the Republican movement. I am a citizen here as propally future ambassador (I need two more votes to make it official), so I think my opinion counts.
        Le Républicain Catholique

Comment

[Arnelos takes a page from UnOrthOdOx's playbook...]

jdd2007,

Let me get this straight... the leader of the Hawk Party... the party that has done nothing since antiquity but malign the DIA in thread after thread after thread for being "a bunch of panzy no-good peaceniks", "sissies", "cowards", and even "traitors" is now whining about being labeled?!?!?

I honestly don't see how placing people's names on a list of those who oppose the switch to republic in terms of "enemies of the people" (which, given the role-play here, is entirely appropriate coming from revolutionaries - and revolutions are generally very bloody affairs) isn't terribly off the mark. In reality, the words being exchanged would be FAR more harsh... real lives would be at stake and the threats to chop off each others' heads would be all too scarily real... We're just mimicing what little we can put in here of that w/o actually causing any more harm than any other propaganda campaign in this game has done...

So not only is this obviously meant in jest and is part of the role-play as we gear up toward the revolution, but the hawks are the last people I'd expect to be whining about this type of thing...

[Arnelos gives UnOrthOdOx his playbook back ]

Ok, seriously now... I understand your issue. However, this really is just role-play elements that are not significantly different from, say, the rather humurous role-play threads accusing Ninot of being in bed (literally...) with our enemies becuase he was a "panzy" when he was President.

That said, I fully understand that this is a game and I respect that. As long as we don't get too carried away here and get all upset at what is being said in jest, then we'll be cool. You might note that I've already attempted to tone it down a little, even though it would be thoroughly unrealistic for that to really happen because it's a game and we should get along... that said, the role-play can be fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Sorry if I really peeved some people off...
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by adaMada

I gotta agree with jdd on this one -- I know Arnelos doesn't mean it to be taken seriously (outside of who supports switch to Republic and who doesn't) and is just roleplaying, but some of it doesn't make sense considering who supports staying at monarchy. UberKrux? OPD? Ghengis? Enemies of the people? Or War-decorated SMC? Fine President? Noble Banker? Clearly, this 'enemy of the people' status needs to be rethought -- in present company, I'd be honored to be included in such a group. Perhaps the categoies could be changed to 'Allies of the Monarch" vs 'Allies of the People?'

-- adaMada
            This is a reasonable suggestion. Though a real republican revolutionary movement would certainly label their enemies as the "enemies of the people", a more neutral news source (HINT! HINT!) might be unbiased enough to label them as "Royalists" and "Republicans".

I'm sure we can do something like that...

Comment

I like to believe the people have more sense than to choose enemies based on but one issue anyway.

Whilst you're all arguing, I'm off drinking in the luxurious Apolytonian sun, "supervising" the "population growth initiatives" on Uber Island.

Why, the population is growing.... like rabbits!
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by OPD

PEOPLE WHO NOW SEEM TO LEAN TOWARDS BEING ENEMIES OF OPD
                Arnelos

Good one

Comment

Thank heavens they forgot about me. Wouldn't want to be an enemy of the people due to my imperialism, and my constant attempts to get myself back into a position of power...et al...
                  Empire growing,
                  Pleasures flowing,
                  Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                    I like to believe the people have more sense than to choose enemies based on but one issue anyway.
                    Ah, but don't you see? That's precisely the accomplishment here! The switch to republic is now a major issue

Comment

People seem not to understand the role-play here... only people which specifically spoke against the switch to republic in other threads were included on that. The only people who even made it on the list were people who had posted in the republic-related threads.

If you don't find yourself on the list, there is no mystsery behind it... it's because you didn't post in the threads on the subject . For some of you, you obviously find this to have been a wise course of action .

Comment

Now, wait a minute, leave off the venerable General Uberkrux. He is no enemy of the people, but like the late General LeMarque, one of the few friends of the common man. We must remember whom our oldest and greatest war hero was. Uberkrux was a great commander, and if called back into active service, could be so again. I will not take part in any "crusade" against the man, even if the enviable Republic is formed.
                        Empire growing,
                        Pleasures flowing,
                        Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
                          Now, wait a minute, leave off the venerable General Uberkrux. He is no enemy of the people, but like the late General LeMarque, one of the few friends of the common man. We must remember whom our oldest and greatest war hero was. Uberkrux was a great commander, and if called back into active service, could be so again. I will not take part in any "crusade" against the man, even if the enviable Republic is formed.
                          uberkrux history guy

i'm against republic because it's going to radically change our warpath. i have always spoken out about anything that would change our warpath.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hmm. I see... So you make a thread implicitly assuming that this is THE major issue and all the participants start to believe it also. Genius! Even I was fooled for a while.

Fellow Apolytonians - let us not be caught up in divisive bickering - think for yourselves whether this issue is worth such disagreements. When the option presents itself, we will have a poll. The outcome of this poll is what will be followed, whoever is in charge and whatever their views. Whether one supports Republicanism or not is entirely beside the point. Some may feel threatened by their name being in the wrong category here, but where is such a coloured classification as "enemy of the people" coming from? It is not a qualified title, merely journalistic style subjectivism!

Arnelos, I must congratulate you on the biggest success at stirring up unnecessary ire since the "revolution" a while back. Apolytonians - by all means have fun with this thread, but don't let it get to you - the views expressed here and any classification you may be given as "friend" or "enemy" of the people are wholly unsubstantiated.

I believe that no classification here will stop anyone from seeing the true worth of a candidate for any post. By way of example, although I have not yet nominated myself (or been nominated) for a post in the 5th Government, I request that Arnelos place me in the category "Enemies of the people". Does this make me an enemy of the people? Hell no! And no-one will see me as such, unless they have decided independently that I am an enemy, based on my past actions and posts as a whole.
                            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

MWIA,

Sure

I'm glad someone finally got it...

[roleplay]

Er... whether or not someone is in favor of republic should be the DEFINING ISSUE of this election! A litmus test for every position on the ballot!!! Are YOU a committed republican? The people want to know whether you are with them (republican) or against them (monarchist)!!

[/roleplay]

Comment

[rp]

I have edited the "list" posting so that the hawkish whiners now have the political correctness they so crave .

In a related development to this shift in Hawk Party philosophy, the Hawk Party is apparently holding a sing-a-long of various "Barney and Friends" albums this evening....

Apparently, UberKruX and History Guy have started early, you can hear them now... "I love you, you love me...."

[/rp]
                                Last edited by Arnelos; October 5, 2002, 12:17.

Comment

Working...
                                X