OFFICIAL Suggestions of the Palace Committee Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL Suggestions of the Palace Committee Poll

NOTE THAT YOU CAN VOTE FOR MORE THAN ONE CHOICE.

The Palace Location Committee, consisted of the following five members:
    GhengisFarb, Godking, Sir Ralph, Aro, Ninot

has suggested the following options for Palace/Forbidden Palace city pairings, not necessarily in that order:
    1- Timeline and Antioch
    2- Timeline and Contaginon
    3- Gaia and Antioch
    4- Gaia and Contaginon
    5- Chiquita and Antioch
    6- Chiquita and Contaginon
    7- Ghengistown and Antioch
    8- Ghengistown and Contaginon
    9- Del Monte and Antioch
    10- Del Monte and Contaginon
    11- Macross City and City On a Hill
    12- Macross City and Geofront
    13- Macross City and Napoleton
    14- Other

This poll's purpose is to discuss and determine the population's more popular choices.
    Timeline and Antioch
    9.41%
    Timeline and Contaginon
    20.00%
    Gaia and Antioch
    4.71%
    Gaia and Contaginon
    3.53%
    Chiquita and Antioch
    2.35%
    Chiquita and Contaginon
    1.18%
    Ghengistown and Antioch
    8.24%
    Ghengistown and Contaginon
    9.41%
    Del Monte and Antioch
    4.71%
    Del Monte and Contaginon
    2.35%
    Macross City and City On a Hill
    8.24%
    Macross City and Geofront
    17.65%
    Macross City and Napoleton
    4.71%
    Other - Specify in thread below
    3.53%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; October 1, 2002, 13:46.

I like Ghengistown (not that I'm biased or anything) as it has 18 river tiles, 19 if you count it's city tile so minumum corruption in it would be very beneficial. It also puts culture pressure on Chartres and to some extent Rheims while it's radius of influence should still filter to AGC on Uber and covers the bulk of out main Empire. It is all grassland meaning it could be a size 40+ city making for a very impressive capital indeed.

Antioch hits more of the hill production area, but Contaginon better covers our current Persian holdings.

Macross City, Chiquita, and Del Monte are too far out on the fringes and half their affected areas would be wasted in my opinion.

Comment

Looks like a no brainer to me : #1

Forbidden Palace at Timeline first. Core area now and should put snignifcant culture presure on the two French cities.

Relocation of Palace to Antioch a clear second.
      (Question: any estimates on the net production rate at Antioch [post capture + Court House at size 12 fully developed?])

I'm wondering if even Antioch is too far away to effectively build a Palace without a Great Leader pre-Communism (for the Police Station)

I'm also kind of concerned that all the eastern sites seem to require us to annex England followed by Germany to fully use. Can we do this and still have a chance for a space ship victory?
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I haven't made my mind yet, but I just want to explain why after we choose the two sites, the FP should be built in the site that is farther from Apolyton, the current capital.
        I have looked into how corruption is calculated and one of the factors is distance from the capital or the FP (whichever is newer). If we build the FP in the site that is closer to Apolyton, many cities won't enjoy its effect (because they'll be closer to the palace) until the palace is relocated. However, if we build the FP in the site that is farther from the palace in Apolyton it will benefit a greater number of cities.
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
          I haven't made my mind yet, but I just want to explain why after we choose the two sites, the FP should be built in the site that is farther from Apolyton, the current capital.
          I have looked into how corruption is calculated and one of the factors is distance from the capital or the FP (whichever is newer). If we build the FP in the site that is closer to Apolyton, many cities won't enjoy its effect (because they'll be closer to the palace) until the palace is relocated. However, if we build the FP in the site that is farther from the palace in Apolyton it will benefit a greater number of cities.
          While this poll isn't to determine which of the two cities is the palace or FP, I think the Palace (which has a larger radius of effect) would make more since in the Gaia/Ghengistown area as it has the possibility of covering more cities and the northern cities of Uber Isle.

Fortunately the programming takes into account not just distance from the capital, but how many cities are closer than you, so that ocean between Ile Da Rose and Uber Isle won't be wasted as there aren't any cities in it to be closer than those on Uber Isle. (did that make sense?)

Comment

ghengistown and antioch

this poll says "official" but how close would we be to implementing this?

ghenghistown is a size1 city and antioch isn't ours yet, both of them would have to be chopped out of the jungle still, and antioch would have foreign nationals to deal with (or would we raze it and replace it?)
            "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Re: ghengistown and antioch

Originally posted by ruby_maser
              this poll says "official" but how close would we be to implementing this?

ghenghistown is a size1 city and antioch isn't ours yet, both of them would have to be chopped out of the jungle still, and antioch would have foreign nationals to deal with (or would we raze it and replace it?)
              Oh, its going to take quite a while to build these, we are just wanting to determine the locations so the sites can start as soon as possible. Also, other cities' improvements may be altered if they are close are extremely far away from the future Palace and FP sites.

Comment

I believe after this poll, there will be a poll with the winning choice to determine which gets the palace, correct?

We should start building ASAP, though.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                  I believe after this poll, there will be a poll with the winning choice to determine which gets the palace, correct?
                  That's the original plan, it probably depends on how close the poll is though.

Comment

Main reason for building the Forbidden Place in the closer city is that the waste would make building it take too long on the eastern fridge of the empire without a Great Leader.

I hear the probablity of a Great Leader in this turn chat is only 12% and suspect a poll on the use of one now would strongly result in Leo's if possible, Army otherwise.
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Put too many options out, get an indecisive poll.
                      Templar Science Minister

Comment

This is a preliminary poll. The objective is finding the preferred pairs and then we'll make a poll with less options.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas
                        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I'm suprised more people haven't voted.

Comment

OK. Just found the poll. Am voting now. I would encourage people to vote based on both what we are now, AS WELL AS WHAT WE WILL BE. I see us taking over the americans, as well as the greeks, in the near future. The greeks hoplite costs a fortune to upgrade, so they will be stuck with the equivlent of pikemen for a while. Also, the last I looked they still haven't bothered connecting their iron (6+ turns ago...). So IMO they will be easy pickings. That puts Macross City right in the middle of the continent, with a large amount of high production cities to work with. I would recomend that the FP goes near Persia (I like Nap myself, but others all have merit) and that we send a large # of slave workers (combination of mostly french and american to help with culture flip) to the city and add them, along with others to clear and mine ASAP. Also, prior to construction we purchase a courthouse to reduce corruption.... then whamo presto, we have the FP in 15-25 turns max. A long time, but not forever. As stated above, this discussion is more appropriate for later when we hold a second vote with the favorites of this election and with more discussion as to what and how.

As city planner, it is my intention to jump right on the FP as soon as location is decided, adn the palace as soon as feasable (might be a while).
                            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

In the case of what GK is saying AND my own prejudices, the FP should be the one FAR AWAY from the core of the empire while the Palace is in the core.

Adding to this...

It seems the intention here is that we're NOT going to be taking over the English or expanding in that direction, but we are rathing thinking of taking over the French, Greeks, or cities in that direction...

This leads me to conclude that it would be wise to put the FP over in what is the Persian Annexation to cover that part of the empire, especially because we need to cover it and the FP cannot move.

The Palace we can MOVE, so we could always place it in Timeline first, then to Macross City if we should be so lucky as to take over Greece in the future.

That's my two cents...

I voted for the Timeline-Contagion combo.
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X