Toponymy and Uber isle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toponymy and Uber isle

Not long ago, i mentioned a project to name all the natural features of our continent, all the rivers, lakes, so forth. Well I still think it is a worthwhile excersice,a nd I would like to begin experimenting onb the way to carry it forward, beginning with a great and simple case: Uber Isle, a single, nice and isolated gegraphic unit. All the possible naming issues should become clear was th discussion progresses:

Sorry for not map, but I am yet incapable of making one (a clear map, with all cities and so forth cleared away):
    So, lets describe the Island:

Large, generally oval. A smal strip of land connects the main bulk of the Island to the smaler bit of land In which AGC sits. In the southwest corner of the Oval sits a series of hills, 5 tiles long in an L shape. A 4 tile forest is adjacent inland. A 3 tile forest is on the Southeast corner. A single tile of land juts southward. In the Northeast side lies a single tile lake, with a single tile hill NE of it. NW of the lake, 2 seperate, 1 tile hills lay as one move northwards towards AGC.

Now, at the very least, we can say that the lake can be named. BU many other questions remain: Is the land on which AGC rests to be considered as a feaure worth an independent name? If so, is it a Penninsula, or another 'island' connected to the main Island by a one tile ismusth? [spelling]. Aslo, do we name the Hills? The 5 tile chain of hils can easily be seen as a single feature- but do we name each individual hill tile, since they stand alone with no other relevant features? Should the two hills in the N of the Island eb considered one feature? Now, forests can be cut down- should we use time to name features that can and most likely will disappear?. And then there is the question fo the flat lands: there are a few tiles of Plain between AGC and the two hills, the rest is grassland. Does this patch of lains dserve a name? and does the big area of grassland also deserve a name? All these are qestions to be answered.

Now, the purpose of this thread is to discuss what should be named, and how we should go about doing it: it is not here for people to give name suggestions.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

The two hill in the north could be named the "Pillars of " something.

The ones in the south could be the "Iron Hills"

We could name the forest in the south, the plains in the north, and the grassland in the south as individual regions/areas.
    Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

GePap,
      Your map, Sir.
      Attached Files
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

As I see it, these are the following features: (1) AGC's peninsula, which is mostly plains, (2) the hill (with gold) ne of AGC, (3) the 3 hills at/near where the peninsula connects to the main island, (4) the grassland dominating the primary portion of the island, (5) the 5 hill tiles by BFM (with iron), (6) the 7 forest tiles ne of BFM. and (8) the small lake on the east side of the island.

As a side note about Uber Island: how amazingly fortunate is it that we have a fresh water source to irrigate from?!? Without it, the island would be nice to have, but not anything special. With it, the island can develop into a great resource for our glorious nation. (Praise be to the Banana for this blessing he bestows upon us, his people.)
        Honor always finds a way...

Comment

First, thank to Aro for the Map:

Second: I like the ides of having all the forest as one feature, since they do connect (diagnols being a connection in this game). lso, i ahd missed the hill next to AGC, so thanks for the remeinder.

I would say that the two hills would work well as a single feature, as OttomusCeasar said, but the other hill would porbably work best as a lone feature, like that near AGC. So, i would agree with 8 features, intead of Honors 7 (small misnumbering act there)
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Don't bother with naming the forest - it will one day be cleared anyway.

Otherwise, good ideas.
            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

I suggest the hill with gold be called the "Lost Settler's Mine" because of all the @$#@$#@ settlers that refused to move during MWIA's term of office. Stupid space bar....................

Comment

Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
                The ones in the south could be the "Iron Hills"
                Why not the "ferric hills"?

As for the ones in the north, they look pretty auric (is that spelled right?) to me.
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Everyone forgot one land feature of Uber Island-- the great big open Grassland!

Could name it something like "The Fairway"
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

It's some of the only grassland we didn't have to knock down jungles to get, we might as well name it Eden.
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by GodKing
                      Don't bother with naming the forest - it will one day be cleared anyway.
                      So we call it the Forest of Evil. We must purge the evil from our island...........

Comment

how about "the valley of shields" for the grassland?, as it is partially bordered by hills to the south and the north, and it has awful lot of shields
                        the two hills to the north could be named "the horns of uber" or something like that
                        as for the lake perhaps the "Eden reservoir" or "Eden lake?.
                        Save the rainforests!
                        Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Gepap,

As you know, Caesarqbear is currently completing an herculean work : a map of the world with absolute coordinates. That will give to each individual tile a perfect, unique, non confusing, easy to locate, identity. Therefore, I think that a name should be given only to groups of tiles having the same geographical nature. Of course, if a forest or a plaine is divided by a river, both parts could be given a name.
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Btw, caesarqbear... Where are you?
                            RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas
                            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I like many of the ideas presented here.

Ferric Hills is a good idea and the Lost Settler's Mine is brilliant. Name that has it's roots in know historical event. That's the way many real world terrain features are named. The reason just has been forgotten in the passing of years.

And for the central parts: i strongly favor naming it Eden, or Garden of Eden, or what may we choose. I base my reasoning on a scientific theory that locates Eden on a island near Saudi Arabia. Nowadays it's plain desert, but way back it was a place full of life. Though Uber Island will never be plain desert, it is an island, with beatiful grasslands. Truly a place to call Eden.

Garden of Banana could be hilarious too, though Uber Island lacks jungle where banana lives and grows.

To next issue. Has anyone noticed how much Uber Island resembles a human head from side? The oval form looks like head, and the lake looks like an eye. So the peninsula could be something like 'helmet peninsula' or something like that.

Next the two hills guarding the grass fields and separating the peninsula from it. How about 'Guardians' or 'Guardian Hills' or even 'Guard Pilars'. Also they could be called same as the pilars at Gibraltar Strait, those Hercules made or something, can't remember name of those right now.

These are just my ideas, please feel free to give suggestions and critize
                              Brilliant and effective way of curing headache, is to use a gun.
                              "Minulla on outoja unia / miehillä ei ole hampaita" Cmx - Pyörivät sähkökoneet
                              "I have strange dreams / men don't have teeth" Cmx - Spinning Electric Machines

Comment

Working...
                              X