Culture Flip Prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culture Flip Prevention

I am opening this thread to discuss ways to prevent cities we capture from culture flipping. Lets face it when you have cities of size 6+ being taken flipping is a true problem(especially if they have culture) . So lets have some ideas. If we had an overwhelming number of troops I'd say just garrison, but the troops will be needed to take other cities and I would hate to lose whole armies due to a flip. Most likely starvation will be are best protection and taking the persian land as quickly as possible will help, since several factors we can alter are distance to enemy capitol and # of sq of city radius in enemy territory, and of course # of enemy citizens. The first 2 can be handled by driving the enemy back, and the last might be a job for duddha. The factor left out is enemy culture in city vs our culture in city can not effectively be dealt with so I am ignoring that.
    Aggie
    The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

workers, reduce them to size one cities if we like their location, otherwise worker them into nonexistence. then we never have to worry about them flipping and we're going to have to produce a lot of workers to clear jungle anyway.
    Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

Once again:

A trick I have used before is to rush a settler, then rejoin it to the city. This works best with poprushing IMO,(size 6, -2 to pop rushing, -2 to settler = 2 Persians. Join the settler = 2 Persian, 2 Apolytonian citizens) but should work equally well here. That will give us a few of our OWN citizens in the city without damaging it's production potential too bad. (I really need to test my theory that you can continue this till it is 100% your citizens. If the Settler always takes the right most citizens when it is made...we could eliminate foreign presence in such situations. I haven't played my own games forever, though...)

Beyond that, I am not sure things like how many troops are needed or such.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

You know.

I think cash rushing would be cheaper to do with workers (10 shields for one citizen as opposed to 30 for 2), but same theory. Join them back in, and test out my theory, or make enough to take it down to 1 citizen first, then join them all in...
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Hummm good ideas, maybe we could populate uber from these settlers and develope it with the workers and also have a settler fro new sidon
          Aggie
          The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

And if we don't have enough cash at any given time we can always starve them out.
            Duddha: I will return...
            Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
            "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
            Free California!

Comment

workers, workers, workers, clear our jungle to reveal the glorious grassland beneath!
              Last edited by =OttomusCeasar=; September 16, 2002, 16:54.
              Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
                workers, workers, workers, clear our jungle to reveal the glorious frassland beneath!
                Eh, too many will drive up our support costs too high, i'ld rather spend THAT money on actual troops. The wars have cost our military might some. We now rank among the last in the world, look at the stats. Join them back in as productive citizens...
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Here's a novel thought: don't take any cities.

have a nice day

lololol
                  Minister of the Economy: Term IV, V
                  Ministre d'Économie: Session IV, V
                  Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there aren't people following me!
                  Même si je suis paranoïde, ça n'exige pas qu'il n'y a pas de gens qui me suivent!

Comment

Heathen!
                    Duddha: I will return...
                    Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
                    "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
                    Free California!

Comment

The idea of building settlers sounds too much expensive. After all they cost 30 shields each. However, I think that those huge Persian cities that will soon be ours produce at least 10 shields a turn so they can produce workers quickly and send out the foreign population on to a life of public service.
                      I wouldn't worry about the upkeep. We need workers anyway, and the increase in production and commerce resulting in the improvements that they make are well worth the extra upkeep.
                      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
                        The idea of building settlers sounds too much expensive. After all they cost 30 shields each. However, I think that those huge Persian cities that will soon be ours produce at least 10 shields a turn so they can produce workers quickly and send out the foreign population on to a life of public service.
                        I wouldn't worry about the upkeep. We need workers anyway, and the increase in production and commerce resulting in the improvements that they make are well worth the extra upkeep.
                        Sure they produce 10 shields NOW. They will not when counting the resulting unhappy citizens, the corruption, etc.

We will be spending cash either way if we want it done in one turn. Joining the units back in would just alter the nationality if we wanted to maintain a large population for some reason. If we can afford the upkeep, fine, send them away to hacking in the jungle. We need settlers for UberIsland from somewhere, though...or are we not risking another crossing?
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Yes, you're right. What was I thinking?
                          I'm still for producing workers but I see now that we won't be producing them at a rate of one per turn. Not without throwing in some money anyway.
                          "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                          And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                          Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I like the worker idea, we've gotta clear the jungle sometime and if we mass produce workers and do it all now we have it cleared for when we enter our GA. I don't think jungle tiles produce much of an advantage during a GA.

Comment

Since Firaxis is not of the Banana, they did not realize the potential of the jungle and a GA does not effect it. Rule for GA is one extra shield where at least one is already produced and one extra Lyton where one is already produced. This last 20 turns.
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X