Do we keep Cherbourg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiber

So to sum up, Cherbourg will give us an income of 3 gpt (2 from support and 1 from the town). Therefore we should try to keep it instead of just throwing it away.
    If we garrison Cherbourg with two units, we are left with one gpt.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I already said not to garrison Cherbourg. If Rome or the Iroquois decide they want it, two units will not suffice to protect it. They may stop the first wave of attackers but we cannot replenish the units (not without emptying our coffers with constant money-rushing of more garrisons).
      No, I say do not garrison Cherbourg at all. If enemy troops march into its territory, give it to another nation (preferably one that would be really pissed off at the Romans for standing inside their territory). Until then keep it and enjoy the 3 gpt income.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

hi ,

things could change with the rush of a policestation and courthouse there , in the near future , who knows what rescource lays there , ....

keep it

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Shiber,

In giving Cherbourg to the Romans or even the Iroquois (or in letting them take it), you open dangerously a door that will cost a lot to shut.
          Statistical anomaly.

Comment

I did not even think about that for a minute Davout. I'd rather give it to the Russians for instance.
            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I did not even think about that for a minute Davout. I'd rather give it to the Russians for instance.
              hi ,

intresting , this could be helpfull to provoke a WW and get rid of some of our enemies , .....

but we should keep it , ....

at least for now , ....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I appreciate it, but IMHO, in giving the city you loose control on it, except if you give it to the French.
                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Yes, we'll lose control of it, obviously. But it's better than to lose in it a war.
                  Here's the deal: the Iroquois and the Romans have units near Cherbourg. If they march into our territory (now or sometime in the future) this means they want to take it, and I'm afraid there won't be a darn thing we could do about it. Instead of giving them time to declare war against us and then take it, I suggest we give it to another nation, preferably one they'd rather not declare war against. This way we'll lose Cherbourg (which we would have lost anyway) but at least the Romans and the Iroquois won't declare war against us.
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Here's the deal: the Iroquois and the Romans have units near Cherbourg. If they march into our territory (now or sometime in the future) this means they want to take it, and I'm afraid there won't be a darn thing we could do about it. Instead of giving them time to declare war against us and then take it, I suggest we give it to another nation, preferably one they'd rather not declare war against. This way we'll lose Cherbourg (which we would have lost anyway) but at least the Romans and the Iroquois won't declare war against us.
                    I agree. We give it away when and if we need to. Until then, it makes us money every turn.

It doesn't have much long term potential, but it could be useful to trade away later on.

We should consider who to give the city to. My hope is that the Germans will start talking to us and we can give the city to them before it is attacked.

--Togas
                    Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                    Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                    Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                    Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Togas
                      We should consider who to give the city to. My hope is that the Germans will start talking to us and we can give the city to them before it is attacked.
                      --Togas

Same here.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

as far as I'm concerned cherbourg is a lost cause it is not helping us and it looks like it is going to be taken over anyway we might as well sell it and get something out of it
                        "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
                        - Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

Comment

on reading this thread, i think we should dispose of cherbourg...

i like the idea someone (can't remember who) came up with of keeping it for the moment, but as soon as it's menaced, sell it to someone nasty, who'll get mad at them for having troops in their territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkness' Edge
                            on reading this thread, i think we should dispose of cherbourg...

i like the idea someone (can't remember who) came up with of keeping it for the moment, but as soon as it's menaced, sell it to someone nasty, who'll get mad at them for having troops in their territory.
                            hi ,

we should keep it , who knows what rescource may lay below , or near it that we need in the future , ...

and we can always disband it later , or give it to a civ in order to provoke a war or worldwar , ...

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                            X