Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A preemptive strike near Marseille

Hello everyone.
    I sent the following message to UberKruX and Aggie by PM but I thought I should share this idea with everyone else as well. Here's the original message:

Shiber wrote on 31-08-2002 10:36:
    Hello UberKruX and Aggie,
    I would like to suggest that we use the swordsman near Marseille that still has a movement point to preemptively attack the French regular swordsman. If you do the math you'll see that we'll have better chances if we preemptively attack than if the French attack us.
    Thank you.
    What do you think? IMHO this will only improve our odds, and I don't see any downsides to this. Are there?
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

attack it before it attacks us.
    Are we having fun yet?

Comment

What's preemptive about it?

Comment

The French swordsman will surely attack our swordsmen the next turn (that's what they sent it there for). Might as well attack it before it attacks us to improve our chances.
        That's what's preemptive about it.
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

ATTACK
          For your photo needs:
          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

Shiber - a preemptive strike is an attack made BEFORE a declaration of war.

Comment

Yes shiber I agree and it will be done, if I have a say. I give us 50/50 odds, that better than if they attack. If only i had a free elite unite. Darn.
              Aggie
              The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                Shiber - a preemptive strike is an attack made BEFORE a declaration of war.
                Oh. I thought it means attacking the enemy before he attacks you.
                I guess I won't be making this mistake anymore. Thanks for the correction skywalker!
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie
                  Yes shiber I agree and it will be done, if I have a say. I give us 50/50 odds, that better than if they attack. If only i had a free elite unite. Darn.
                  Aggie
                  Uber replied to my PM and said no because it would make our units more vulnerable. I don't see what he meant or how this would make our units more vulnerable but I think you should check with him before you put this into the orders or request this in the turnchat.
                  Btw, I suggest that before you tell the swordsman to attack the French swordsman, move him one tile SW (he won't exhaust his movement points because there's a road there) so we could get some info on what French units might be approaching Here It Is.
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Well uber's the boss so I guess thats it. I think he was still thinking of the war lasting longer. I don't how up he is on ongoing debate.
                    Aggie
                    The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber

Oh. I thought it means attacking the enemy before he attacks you.
                      I guess I won't be making this mistake anymore. Thanks for the correction skywalker!
                      No. Shiber you are using it correctly, skywalker is wrong in this case. Its attacking before you are attacked. Declaration of war is not a consideration there may or may not be one.

Good idea, attack away.
                      Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                      "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Thanks jdjdjd.
                        I admitted I was wrong too quickly!
                        /me does the victory dance

Let it be known throughout the jungle, wherever Apolytonians roam and preemptive strikes are made that preemptive means 'due to action taken beforehand'.
                        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I thought a preemtive strike normally refers to attacking before war is declared, but it actually means attacking before your enemy attacks you...

So I think everyone's right.

/me shows that MWIA doesn't have a monopoly on vauge, uncommitting statements.

-- adaMada
                          Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                          PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                          Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

Originally posted by adaMada

* adaMada shows that MWIA doesn't have a monopoly on vauge, uncommitting statements.
                            Panag already did this

Comment

Working...
                            X