Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End our despotic regime!

FELLOW CITIZENS:

A new and dangerous time has begun for our great civilization. War wages in all of Abananaba Major and the greatest civ of Abananaba Minor (Rome) lies in chaos and anarchy. These new times call for a new kind of leadership!

The despotic regime that rules from our lowly palace in Apolytonia is higly inefficiant and corrupt. The productivity of our peasants, artisans, and scribes is greaty deminished by the fear they have of our government goons. A new form of government is called for.

Many of our neighbors, including our enemies, have instituted new forms of goverment. A representative type, the Republic, has become the most common form of government, yet our government has yet to enquire about its makeup. The great advantages of this form of gov. can be seen in the huge boom of population that our enemies the Germans, the first republic of all, have seen. BUt the Republic is not the only form of new government out there. While they do not practice it, the Romans, Greeks, and English all lnow of a new form called Monarchy, which i not as good as the Republic, but does provide for better governance than our despotic regime.

Fellow citizens! demand that out government aquire some new form of statecraft, and demand that they make the change, a change that our enlightened and pious population will make quick and painless.

END OUR DESPOTIC REGIME, BEGIN THE REVOLUTION!
    Last edited by GePap; August 26, 2002, 17:35.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

I believe our lands would benefit from a new government but have full confidence that our leadership will implement what is best for Apolytonia using the resources at their disposal.
    Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; August 26, 2002, 18:04.

Comment

The AIs are switching to Republic because they get a lot of free support in this difficulty level. If we switch to republic we'll get absolutely no support and actually start losing money every turn because the drop in corruption and the commerce bonus don't offset the upkeep costs. We need to grow significantly (not necessarily in size but rather in population and infrastructure) before switching to Republic can be justified.
      Monarchy, however, would be a better choice. True, there's no commerce bonus and corruption is a bit higher but we get two free support per each town and four per city.
      IMHO we should switch to Monarchy as soon as possible and switch to republic about 20 or so turns later once our population builds up (with the introduction of money rushing to replace pop rushing our population can finally grow).
      Btw, it's worth noting that in this version (1.21f) workers under a Despotism work as fast as workers under Republic and Monarchy.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
        I believe our lands would benefit from a new government but have full confidence thaT our leadership will implement what is best for Apolytonia using the resources at their disposal.
        One should expect such talk from the ruling elite, factory owners under this regime!

Say No to fear, say yes to change!

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

Comment

We have yet to discover a new form of government and no one will sell us either Republic or Monarchy.

--Togas
          Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
          Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
          Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
          Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Fellow Citizen Gepap,

You may be interested to know that a while ago I did a poll concerning the change of governments. The poll may be found here:

The people, it seems, want a monarchy. Only one person wanted to stay a despotism.

Comment

Can we obtain Monarchy in one of those wars we are fighting now, with France, Germany and Persia? I can't recall if one of them have it.
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

One should expect such talk from the ruling elite, factory owners under this regime!

Say No to fear, say yes to change!

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
                Touche, when you get hungry feel free to drop by my estate. I'm sure I can find SOMETHING for you to do................
                Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; August 26, 2002, 18:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Togas
                  We have yet to discover a new form of government and no one will sell us either Republic or Monarchy.

--Togas
                  Well, as Aro suggested, we should make getting a new form of government as part of any settlement a priority.

Also, on buying the techs, how long do we think untl the A.I. decides to sell? and, on a radical note that I would not advise, we could sell ourselves for such a tech, by entering into the Great Greek War, thus merging all the battles into one great big war. Another radical possibility woul be to switch researching feudalism and change over to either Monarchy or Republic, and getting the tech ourselves.

And as for going hungry...... We revolutionary politician never go hungry, and besides, I hold a cushy and middle paying job in government already in the Foreign Ministry. Perhaps I should talk to the tax accessors about the returns of a certain weapons factory...
                  I wonder what the Ministry of Economy would make with that?

Comment

As a trader I have visited many of our neighbours (before the war started. Traveling is far to dangerous now). I can tell you from my own experience that the government that they call republic does not make people happy at all (although you might expect differently). On the contrary. In several countries the government had to implement several special measures like hiring entertainers, building colosseums (expensive buildings, I can tell you) etc to avoid people to riot. Apolytonia is not yet ready for such a government. Certainly not with a war going on. Not one war, several wars. In view of this it is probably not even wise to change to whatever government at this time. Changing government will make people insecure and get them off-balance. Although we can proudly say that the people of Apolytonia are very stable and will probably absorb a change like that quickly, it still means losing production that we badly need at these difficult times. Let us hope our current government is able to counter our enemies successfully. This will be a major task. And not necessarily one that, I think, they will be able to finish succesfully. Having several sons at the frontline that is what I worry about a lot these days.
                    Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
                      Can we obtain Monarchy in one of those wars we are fighting now, with France, Germany and Persia? I can't recall if one of them have it.
                      Neither had it prior to the war.
                      However I agree that the best way to get Monarchy will be through a peace settlement, if one of the AI civs we're fighting will have it by the time we reach the negotiations table.
                      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

*sniff* I'll miss you, pop rush! *sniff*

*hums The Grapes of Wrath*

Comment

Don't worry Epistax. Some day the workers will unite in a form of communal government, then we can order them to their deaths by the million to finish building the factories to make our products of war......
                          If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

hmmm, atleast this revolution thread has merrit to it
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

You people haven't bought me Republic or Monarchy yet. You can't propose a revolution until you do.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X