Suggestion: 2nd Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: 2nd Forum

All the recently-added elections threads, the SMC threads and others have left very little room for roleplay, jokes and other stuff in the 1st page. As we progress in the game, threads will be pushed to the 2nd page much faster since the game will become more complicated and more proposals and discussion threads will be started. Or you can look at it the other way and say that with all the roleplay and joke threads and the occasional Jungle Gazzette threads there's gonna be too little room for serious threads.
    I therefore suggest that we open a 2nd forum for the Civ3 Demo Game. This thread will be dedicated to gameplay-related issues only while the 2nd forum will be the place for everything else: jokes, roleplay threads, The Jungle Gazzette, things like naming our cities which are not essential for the game and so on.

Any thoughts, as well as suggestions for a name for the 2nd forum would be appreciated.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

sigh.... sub forums...

government
    roll play
    turns
    institutes/strategy
    other

Comment

Whoa whoa hold it there, that's a bit too much. Separating the game to so many sub forums would make it harder to keep track of it.
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Subforums? There won't be any. Stop dreaming.

Comment

When important threads start dropping to page two, opinions will change.
          Come on people, have some vision. Or at least explain why you object to sub forums.
          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Lol, what important threads are you talking about? How we should call our Banana currency? Or the dual-identity poll? Is there really a grain of importance in all that spam?

Well, seriously, subforums are a nice to have, but MarkG doesn't like them, or has other reasons not to put them up. So unless you can say, how you're going to convince the 'Poly owners, all speculations about subforums will remain... well... dreams.

Comment

Subforums are not allowed, IIRC. You have to ask the mods. I mean, gOdZ.

Edit: sorry, double information. Sir Ralph said all.
              Last edited by Aro; August 13, 2002, 09:20.
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

As I understand it we've asked them several times, and they don't want to do it. Maybe because everyone else would want them.

Until we make pseudo sub forums by having topped threads of each topic have links to threads inside their topic, everything is going to be a mess. I expect it will stay a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Epistax
                  As I understand it we've asked them several times, and they don't want to do it. Maybe because everyone else would want them.

Until we make pseudo sub forums by having topped threads of each topic have links to threads inside their topic, everything is going to be a mess. I expect it will stay a mess.

Hey, I'm working on it. Check out my organization thread, and add your input.

edit:http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=58658 here, go there and make some suggestions.
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

subforums may mean a little bit more organization, but when it comes down to it all they mean is extra clicks and loading time to see the new posts.

Comment

the only contra of mark was that the participation was not high enough to justify subforums.
                      maybe he changed his mind about it as the participation goes up?

keeping track of new posts would be easy as you can see whether a new post is in a subforum in the icon in front of it.
                      Hean of the UN delegation ofFANATIKA

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                        Lol, what important threads are you talking about? How we should call our Banana currency? Or the dual-identity poll?
                        You got me all wrong. What I was afraid of was that threads like the banana currency thing, which is actually more popular than many Machiavelli Institude/War Academy/Thinkers Guild/etc' threads I've seen will push the essential threads off to page 2.
                        Look at what we have in front of us now: there are 30 threads in page 1. 10 are election-related, 9 of which are topped. There are 7 other topped threads. 5 other threads are not gameplay-related (the Phoenatican embassy, the currency thread etc'). This leaves us with 8 (!!!) threads for War Academy threads, Machiavelli Institute threads, SMC plans and suchlikes.
                        Already we are having this kind of trouble. The Impeachment Amendment Poll, which is not related to Civ but is very important IMHO needs to be advertised in other threads and be bumped once a day so people would pay attention to it.

Yes, I know the elections aren't gonna last forever and we'll have more free space soon, but as the game progresses there will be need for more serious threads. On the other hand, the number of members will grow which will result in more non-serious, "just plain fun" threads. Eventually the two will clash.

This is basically why I think we should have sub forums. However, you've made it clear to me that any further efforts I make will probably be in vain because the mods are against this, so I'll just save me the trouble and drop the matter now.
                        Being a novice here, I do not know much about the history of the Apolyton forums as you do. Please be a bit more patient with me. There's really no need for any "is there really a grain of importance in all that spam?" kind of talk.
                        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
                          subforums may mean a little bit more organization, but when it comes down to it all they mean is extra clicks and loading time to see the new posts.
                          Won't we be facing the same problem if we'll have to look for threads in page 2?
                          And another point in favor of sub forums: some citizens don't like the roleplaying and the humor threads. If we separate those from the serious part of the game then these people won't have to search through humor threads which they disapprove of anyway just to get to the ones they deem to be important.
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Subforums would be nice, but we've been given a resounding NAY from at least one of the faceZ of the gOdZ, and I think we need some more participation before we petition again.

UnOrthO's ideas seem to be the best to date, and I hope everyone seriously considers them. One or two threads with links to all the important stuff, as well as some of the more fun threads. Two clicks to get to whichever of these threads you like, instead of searching, searching searching.
                            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Yeah it's a good start.

I wish we'd have one government thread topped, with links to all other government threads, EXCEPT for possible the join thread, which we want as visible as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X