Playing ahead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing ahead?

Are there any set rules what counts as playing ahead? If so, can someone point me to the thread, please?
    More specifically, is it ok as a citizen to "try out" trades with other civs in order to give suggestions to the government?
    Forgive my ignorance, I have just been too busy lately to read through the threads carefully
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

IIRC, it is okay to "try out" trades if you DO NOT complete them. You can haggle all you want, but NOT press okay. You have to press Cancel or Never Mind.

Spiffor can explain this better.
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Remember: if you are using the 1.29 patch, the results may be different. Very different, in fact.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

what patch are we using? I forget. did we all agree to upgrade or not to?
        Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
        Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
        Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
        Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

We are using 1.21

I think it is almost time to have a vote to upgrade to 1.29. However due to the fundamental nature of the change, I think we should need at least 80% of a vote.

Playing ahead is wrong. It should be an impeachable crime for officials IMHO.

Comment

Hey, don't forget to vote in the Impeachment Amendment vote...

go here: Impeachment Amendment
            Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
            "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Originally posted by jdjdjd
              Hey, don't forget to vote in the Impeachment Amendment vote...

go here: Impeachment Amendment
              Now jdjdjd, are you SURE you want us to vote in that poll?
              Anyway, yeah, playing ahead. That's something that ISN'T PERMITTED in the demo game at all. So, no exploring or testing to see if a war will be successful. You can bargain hunt during turnchats, but that's the limit.

Comment

Combat Ingrid :
                Welcome back !

Playing ahead is simply doing something on your own that you can't go back on, except by reloading. For example, if you move warrior #6 to the Nrth, you can't go back on this. By the same token, if you accept to buy monotheism for X gold, you can't go back on this. Ending a turn (or more) is the worse.

The logics behind it is that you get information beforehand, and you'll adapt your way to play because of this info. This reduces risk to nil, and thus it reduces fun.

But, doing anything you can go back on (such as adjusting the slider, toying with city production, negociating deals without agreeing to them) are allowed : indeed, when you do this, you know the present, not the future.
                (for anyone interested, I always toy with the sliders on my own between each turnchat, to see if there is an optimal rate. You can see the results at http://www.multimania.com/spiffor in the Budget previsions section)
                Doing these non-definitive things is as good as looking the map or checking foreign Civs : it helps finding the optimum, with the available information.

Also, it's strongly recommended to wait for the president to do something, before you do it on your computer. For Example, Uber ordered unit Y to go SE-S-SE, and our executive is confused : he sends the unit SW-SE-SE. Even if it's a mistake, it's an official one, and it's the only truth of the game. Thus, you shouldn't obey Uber's orders blindly, but blindly follow what the prez has done.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Good summery Spiffor, saved me the trouble.
                  If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
                    Seems like I have behaved so far!
                    I just downloaded the save today and played around in the trade screens. It turned out there was some tech trades we could do, but I didn't know if I would break the rules by reporting it

Comment

That sig, Combat Ingrid - what a movie!

Arthur: Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?
                      Ash: Nope. Just me baby... Just me.

And as far as upgrading to the v1.29 patch goes, remember what Firaxians said - playing a 1.21 game (what we have) in the new patch can make for some weird effects.... Whilst said effects remain unexplained, I will oppose any upgrade during this game.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

combat ingrid - even telling that we can make tech trades (assuming that you completed the deal to know this) is wrong

Comment

No, I don't complete the trades, I just play with the trade deals to see what's "probably acceptable".
                          I already posted the AI proposal in another thread, but if this really is considered wrong, I will edit it out

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                            No, I don't complete the trades, I just play with the trade deals to see what's "probably acceptable".
                            I already posted the AI proposal in another thread, but if this really is considered wrong, I will edit it out
                            I think I saw your post (about selling currency, right?), and you did not play ahead. Asking what the AI would trade for things we already have is fine, so long as you don't accept any trades.

Comment

Working...
                            X