Compatibility issues: possible solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility issues: possible solution

For those who are running 1.29, and cannot have a second copy of Civ3 on their computer for space or other reasons, I *think* I have a solution:

All patch changes are made to only a few files in the Civ3 home directory, right? None in the subfolders. These files are relatively small, so having two copies of them would not be a particularly great memory strain. Most of the space is taken up by graphics. So, we just need to know exactly which files are modified. Anyone know this?

Anyone?

Comment

The simplest way to move from 1.29 to 1.21 and back is to download both patches, run patch 1.29 (will uninstall the patch) and then run patch 1.21 and viola! To return to 1.29, just run patch 1.29.
      I posted about a week ago asking the same thing and someone told me that the patches can also be uninstalled using the original installer. Whoever you are, I'm sorry I can't credit you for it but I simply don't remember who you were.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

My solution to solve compatibility issues is : install another Civ3, and patch it to 1.21. Use a no-cd crack, and it should work (well, at home I no-cded my 1.21 first, then I installed a whole new 1.29)
        Timeline uses the same trick, but Ninot can't for some reason.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

if you know which files are changed you could pack them into a differen directory for each version and use a mod-installer to exchange them like a mod.
          Hean of the UN delegation ofFANATIKA

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!

Comment

The point is, you need to know WHICH files are changed.

Comment

The problems include some people don't want to or can't install a second Civ3 for various and sundry reasons. Another problem is that there are programming/coding changes you can't get to (unless you are a programmer and then, it's iffy at best).

Switching back and forth between patches isn't that simple a deal. I have installed/reinstalled Civ 3 patches 8 times for a number of reasons. You have to deal with registry (of the regedit kind) issues. Also, scan disk, and defrag/optimizing are things I was encouraged to do before reinstalling; it makes a big difference if you don't and you switch more than a couple of times. Lots more other things as well.

Comment

My solution: everyone upgrade to 1.29.
                Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

We already decided not to do that, as it will be quite some time before the non-English versions of the patch are released.

Comment

I just havent bothered to update to 1.29 yet, thats easy!!
                    A citizen of the first Civ 3 democracy game
                    A member of the Apolytonia War Academy

Comment

Also, some versions may or may not get the upgrade to 1.29 based on reports that are out.

Comment

Working...
                      X