Has anyone else noticed this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else noticed this?

I just noticed that we have something like 200 more threads than the Civ2 Demo Game. How is this possible, if we've pretty much just started compared to them?

Well, basically there is so much more clutter here. When I visited their forum, they are much more organized and most of their threads are more relevant. Here we have threads just to ask for information available in other threads.
    Est-ce que tu as vu une baleine avec un queue taché?
    If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.

Comment

People complain and whine about silly things all the time.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

its because this is much bigger. we surpassed them in citizen-count in a matter of weeks.

Comment

we have more people, more democracy, and frankly, more idiots that have the freedom of speech :P

you know, this thread sort of adds to our total # of threads doesn't it?

::cough::
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I have not noticed here a higher proportion of idiots, compared to any other human community. Besides, it is the same for genocidal maniacs.
            Statistical anomaly.
            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

to get it mathematically right, you would have to use the total thread count of apo and compare it to the total thread count of cfc. then you have to calculate a normalized threadcount for both demogames to compare ;-)

but this clearly shows you will need subforums much earlier than we did, as your postcount will easily surpass ours by propably factor 2 or even 3 soon (well, as soon as ppl start to actually get distributed work on city topics, as different aspects of the game come up, as rpg starts etc.). at the moment (typicall early game) its just military action. as soon as the later game comes up when micromanagement and all aspects of civilization come up (typical mid-game) this will get interesting ;-)
              Hean of the UN delegation ofFANATIKA

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!

Comment

To the numbers:
                normalized=demogame/total

apo
                threads:
                total: 50898
                demogame: 50898
                normalized=0,0133
                demogame: 18677
                normalized=0,0187

cfc
                threads:
                total: 28015
                demogame: 1048
                normalized=0,0374
                demogame: 18157
                normalized=0,0445

Summary
                Comparing the normalized thread-counts, phoenatica has about 2.8 times the number of threads than apolytonia. In the normalized postcounts phoenatica has about 2.4 times the count of posts than apolytonia.

Result
                up to you to interpret. just one thing: you run at about double the turnrate we do, so the normalized numbers are conclsusive, meaning you will end up in the same normalized counts we ended up.
                as the total apo-count is 2.4 times the cfc count, i forecast the following totals for apolytonia at the date we have in phoenatica at the moment (1800AD):
                2515 threads
                43577 posts

conclusion
                a analysis based on the member count may also help, though it would propably be useless due to "dead" members.

Comment

Strange findings
                  Looking at the stats again, i assumed there double the turn-rate than at cfc (you take double the number of turn-chats per week).
                  But then, looking at the game development, i made a strange discovery:
                  apo started the game on 20.06.2002 and is in 750BC (i believe) after about 46 days.
                  cfc startet the game at 01.04.2002 and was at 750BC about 19 days later.
                  Again, here is a 2.4 factor, but this time totally opposing the numbers above, as cfc is 2.4 times faster than apo!

assumptions
                  a) 2.4 is a magic number (well, litte vague here ;-)
                  or
                  b) apo will take 2.4 times the time cfc took to complete the game with 2.4x2.4 times the post and thread counts of cfc(!).

totally strange. did something heavily interrupting happen during the first turn-chats? was the schedule drastically changed?
                  i would have expected apo being 2.4 times faster than cfc, not the other way around.

Comment

Fascinating. Another test of our well known blinded obeyance to a pseudo-scientific demonstration ?
                    Last edited by DAVOUT; August 6, 2002, 12:55.
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

*looks forward with a serious face, nodding*

uh huh yes right 2.4 hmmm well that could explain it

*reads it again*

conclusion: disorganizer knows more math than me

Comment

skywalker was talking about the civ2 demogame gere at poly i believe...

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Uber's right. Poly's Civ2 Demo Game has 400-something threads, while we have 600-something.

Comment

hi ,

the fact that more people get an internet connection plays a role that is largely forgotten , ....

and "back then" there where not to many site's about civ , ... ask Ming and Rah , they play civ2 for ages

in europe there was almost nothing , here and there a fan club , a forum or two , now the last to years more and more people find there way to the net , ...

and apolyton is without doubt the best site on civ

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Re: Has anyone else noticed this?

Originally posted by skywalker
                              I just noticed that we have something like 200 more threads than the Civ2 Demo Game. How is this possible, if we've pretty much just started compared to them?
                              Yes I noticed that too. Maybe this is a good example of wasted space.

Interestingly enough, you started 40 on your own, more than Unorthodox and Tassadar (the Jungle Gazette) combined, more than Trip or Ninot, including all the election threads Trip had to set up. Nearly 1/16th of the total, by only 1/200th of the membership...and you're not in the gov't.

Just some interesting facts.
                              Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                              "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Working...
                              X