Changing City Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing City Names

I'm sure this thought probably crossed someone's mind at some point or another, but I'll bring it up here: what's everybody's opinion on changing the names of the cities we've captured? I think we should 'Apolytonize' any cities that we acquire, if only for the roleplaying element the Demo Game has. If we decide to change the name of Washington, we should name it after one of the heroes of the Amerotonian War (the name of the war being a combination of America and Apolytonia). We could name it after Uber, but he's already got Uber Isle (unless that turns out to be part of our continent, or a two-tile thing). Any suggestions?

Good point - we should rename it to the chosen name of whoever in the city name thread is next in line.

EDIT: Sadly, no Apoc. I may have been citizen 1, but I have not pbeen picked in the random name draw for naming cities. Next is Ninot's choice: Del Monte.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

WhereItsAt, DC?
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Is there a link for that thread, I would like to get my name in for a city?
        If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

/me points out that the SMC has control of captured cities
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

*Will 5001 points out he only has for a while
            A citizen of the first Civ 3 democracy game
            A member of the Apolytonia War Academy

Comment

Do we really need to name it after a leader? I am sure we could think of something better... something which proclaims our victory, perhaps.
              ~THE DARK LORD APOLON

Comment

the immediate question is should we rename it all. i say, yes, btw

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Lord
                  Do we really need to name it after a leader? I am sure we could think of something better... something which proclaims our victory, perhaps.
                  Just a couple of ideas :
                  - a terrible name : TITANIA
                  - a more ambiguous name : PROMISIA or directly from the latin word PROMESSA.

And, if we are not on Earth, what is the name of our planet and of our Central Star whose rays help so well our bananas to grow ?
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

The question was asked some time ago, before founding Banana HQ. After several polls, it was agreed ministers would get to rename cities first. Then, regular citizens would be chosen at random (Trip wrote a randomizer program in C).

We already have a thread which summarizes who gets to name next cities. It's located here. On this list, Ninot is the next one to get to name a city, and wanted to name it "Del Monte".

A sure thing is that we need to rename cities we conquer. If we only name ctites we found, only a very small minority will get such a priviledge. And besides, who wants to have "Paris" in our empire, while it could be named "Uberorsk" ?

Edit : for our star, I think "Ra" is the most appropriate.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

im all for renaming cities captured by us. It could reflect a change in language for the name... and by that, we can change the name anyway we want.

and.. we ought to follow the list. It would be robery not to!
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Edit : for our star, I think "Ra" is the most appropriate.
                        Excellent.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                        X