A calendar for our culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To explain why DAVOUT's right:

Geostationary orbits work by having the satellite (artificial or not) orbit around the planet at the same speed as would the tip of a bar that extended the same distance away from the planet as the satellite - i.e. they stay over the same place. Now, as it is impossible to orbit around a latitude line, this has to occur at the equator.

Comment

Duration of the week

We must think twice before reducing the week from 7 days to 6 or even 5. The primary purpose of the week is to determine that people will rest one day after 6 days of (hard) work. Any reduction of the week will result in less working days, and consequently the productivity of the civ will be reduced in due proportion. Unless the day is extended to 28 or 30 hours by a slower than Earth rotation of our planet, I would therefore not recommend any duration of less than 7 days, and I would clearly support a 8 days week.
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Here is proposition for a public holiday to celebrate past victorious battles: One day a year say before the solictice or day of the dead, Everybody gatherts up in the town/city square, gathers up into two sides and attack the opposing team with either pillows or the fruit thayt corresponds the day of the week- however the holidayshouldn't occur on any days that involve hard fruits like apples or pineapples 'cause that would be dangerous and may clog whatever healthcare system with severe bruises

Comment

do i get this right?
          are we gonna make up our own calendar system, that has nothing to do with earth?
          in that case i suggest we use the 10 system
          10 days a week
          10 weeks a month
          10 month a year
          well our year would have 1000 days, but that's no problem, we can make the day last 10 hours )
          i think keeping it as simple as possible is the best idea
          "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

A planet with a day of 10 hours would certainly not be very convenient for the life as we know it.
            A calendar must be based on astronomical assumptions, mainly the rotation of the planet on itself and the rotation around the central star. From that, which determines the day and the year, we can derive months, weeks, hours, minutes, in a coherent system.
            Are we free to imagine any kind of non coherent system ?
            Yes if we intend to play a fantasy game.
            No if want to play a game fun and imaginative but coherent with our knowledge of the universe.
            Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Davout :
              I think like you, we should have days which last relatively as much time as what we know (even if this is a different world, humans are playing, and a human biological schedule is approx 20-28 RL-hours long).

However, our "hours" could last a very different while than hours from the real world (roughly the equivalent of 100/150 RL-minutes, rather than 60)

But I think we shouldn't use the 10 system for everything. Ancient scientists loved to make things complicated. Some 10s would be nice for us, but too many 10s would be impossible given human nature
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I'm getting a headache just reading this.

I see the temple is being put to good use, though.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Newspapers don't bother with research, we know that.
                  Statistical anomaly.

Comment

how about this system:
                    we have 450 days per a year
                    that year is divided into 17 months (the required annoying number) This is then is divided into a month consisiting of roughly 3 weeks each week lasting 8 days. The weekend last for 3 days which is actually more than our present system.
                    I will continue into the finer detail but it probably wouldn't matter-
                    25 hour per day with each hour lasting 50 minutes eand each minut lasting 50 seconds. This ensures the the year is about the same length with earth.
                    Last edited by rendelnep; July 28, 2002, 03:49.

Comment

An odd number but also a prime number for the months is perfect : there will be neither quarter nor semester which means that the life of the financial analysts will be almost impossible in Apolitonia ; on top of that they will be able to write stupid or wrong commentaries only every 17 months ; imbearable for them !

But again, a three days week-end, leaving five days for the work would reduce the production by 15% (taking into account the number of minutes reduced from 60 to 50). Unless all other civs adopt our calendar (and I can't imagine the Aztecs doing so), it would jeopardize our plans to conquer the world.
                      Statistical anomaly.

Comment

not nessercarily, we could do what the french do with thier school children and half work days which would offset the difference if the weekend was infact 2.5 days. Besides the extra time might mean less stress for everybody involved and could create a relaxed yet focus work force. Besides it could mean that families have decent holiday during the weekend.
                        The seconds could probably be made longer to compensate for a loss of time anyway.

Comment

But again, a three days week-end, leaving five days for the work would reduce the production by 15% (taking into account the number of minutes reduced from 60 to 50). Unless all other civs adopt our calendar (and I can't imagine the Aztecs doing so), it would jeopardize our plans to conquer the world.
                          3 day weekends wouldn't necessarily reduce production. Bt being better rested and having penty of time for leisure activities, the workers will be happy. Happy workers, as most any managment official can tell you, are efficient workers. with 15% less time they can probably nearly finish the same amount of production, and they would ahve a better quality of life. This could spark immigration to are great nation, and a larger population means a higher potential for production....
                          Anyway, i like the 3 day weeend idea alot, and kinda wished we really had one IRL.

Kman
                          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

how about monkeys/bananas....not other fruit (especially oranges, leave the oranges out of this, I mean really, oranges, why would we name a day after oranges of all things....see this Wed's Jungle Gazette for more information)

Gorilladay
                            Baboonday
                            Monkeday
                            Chimpanzeday
                            Orangutanday
                            GibbonDay
                            BananaDay, the day of rest
                            DaveyJonesDay (oh wait, skip this one)

Banana should be the only fruit, because its not just a fruit its a god.

Again, not oranges, such a stupid fruit to name a day after, in fact we don't even know what an orange is in Apolytonia.
                            Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                            "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

jdjdjd would the holy day be in the middle of the three day weekend?

Comment

Working...
                              X