The "Abstain" option in polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain
    why don't we replace the option abstain with this poll is invalid?
    That sounds nice. I'd also support present and not voting.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

captain: i must admit, i did this with the "census yes/no" poll. i just wanted to save me a click. and i didnt want to state my opinion as im no apolytonian.
      Hean of the UN delegation ofFANATIKA

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!

Comment

We should have an abstain option in ALL polls especially elections, for example if in an election the candidates are all hopeless, then if Abstain wins then the position remains empty on a poll on a decision: for example a yes no vote if abstain wins nothing will happen either way (if no means actively doing something), abstain is a vital option to show that people care
        A citizen of the first Civ 3 democracy game
        A member of the Apolytonia War Academy

Comment

Abstain lets me say "I really badly wish this poll wasn't cluttering the forum and forcing interesting and potentially important information off the page". I might add I only started abstaining recently when I turned up after 12 hours and found the first page full of new replies/new threads, only TWO of which were about the GAME, what we are mostly here for.

Don't get me wrong, some of the non-game related threads here are highly intellectual and interesting, but I don't want so many of them that I can't even find the game when I want to!

Abstain/banana lets us all protest the poll as a waste of forum space.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Abstain lets people know that people are voting; and as mentioned, if enough abstains are voted, then the poll would not pass, as abstain is neither a yes or a no vote. Abstain frequently is a sign of voters not liking the choices available, but still getting to voice an opinion. Removing it, and leaving only yes/no will result in fewer voters. It can send a message, esp. if a large enough group vote that way; when that happens, hopefully, they will post why they voted that way.

I don't have a problem with Captain's suggestion about the abstain being changed to this poll is invalid, or similar language. In some elections, you have none of the above as an option. Several elections back, none of the above got several thousand votes IRL, not enough to win the election, but enough to tell the parties we don't like either one of your candidates.

Comment

Speaking just for me, what I'd like would be :
              - desagree with both/all
              and
              - I don't care (meaning : I understand that my co-citizens are interested in that issue but I am not)

Abstains would be those who do not participate at all in the poll.
              Statistical anomaly.
              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Abstain, IMO, allows people to show that they are present and voting, but do not have an opinion on the subject and do not wish to affect the vote's outcome.

I think "this poll is invalid" would be a nice additional option.

Comment

Working...
                X