X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the............?

***********BUMP***********

Jeeze

So if this goes up for vote you will all vote yes? Come on guys! Let's get refining!

Comment

For example, if we all agree on the compromise in this thread (without officially amending the constitution), Ninot will probably structurate the CoL this way, while keeping an old-school copy (like skywalker asked). The next president is likely to continue, and the next too.
      Who is to say that? Should we just assume they will do it as was done before?

If there is no amendment for this, we run the risk of the CoL being "restructured" again, by the President who asserts there is no law dictating to him how to add amendments.

This won't overburden the constitution, imo, it will compliment it nicely. It will also ensure we have a neat, clean, easy to read document for generations to come.

Comment

Who am I to say this ? I finished my studies in political sciences, and even if my knowledge of politics is limited, I know that many things are not written, because they don't need to. Britain is the most spectacular example of this, since there is no constitution. The Brits derive their way to do politics from several texts very old (the oldest, the magna carta, comes from the 13th century).

Who am I to say this ? I'm someone who sees people fleeing from the democracy Game because of endless constitutional quibble. Some polls are important, like the big judicial amendment, but some aren't. There is no need to clutter the forum (and frighten casual players) with unimportant polls. We are already talking about ourselves too much, rather than talking about the game. I don't want the demogame to be a small circle of elites who make new procedures for the sake of it.

Who am I to say this ? Someone who has enough common sense to see this matter actually interests 10 people (appreciation based on the number of posters in this thread). I'm also someone who sees no president ever bothering making a new structure of the CoL, except if he's an extremist from this thread (and there are no extremists here, since everybody seems to agree with the compromise).

I'm adamant about this : suggesting amendments for every little thing will kill the constitution, beause nobody will bother to read it, except those who wrote it.
        That's because I like having a readable constitution that I like the compromise. For the very same reason, I'd vote against it if you propose it in the form of an amendment. Every responsible constitutionalist should do the same.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I adree with Spiffor on this, and would add the recent MoE amendment to the list of unneeded ones. Just let's do it, and if someone really feels like changing it in the future, we can deal then.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            Who am I to say this ? I, I, I.........
            Spiff, if I didn't know better I'd think you were getting a bit excited.

When I ask "Who can say this?" I am merely pointing out tht no one can say what people will do in the future. This amendment would be insurance against further problems. But I digress.

Btw, this is not Britain

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
            I adree with Spiffor on this, and would add the recent MoE amendment to the list of unneeded ones. Just let's do it, and if someone really feels like changing it in the future, we can deal then.
            The MoE poll is going to be approved or disapproved shortly. So more debate on that is not needed. I hope it passes, because unlike you, I think it IS needed.

Also, about making these changes now, how are you going to make Ninot do it (or anyone els for that matter) without a rule or some type of vote? It is defrauding the people (I feel) to just institute this suggestion without a vote first, especially considering the results of the "Reword" poll .

I will consult with Ninot on this issue and see what needs to be done for him to accept this. I just hope other Presidents follow in his steps (although I doubt that will happen).

Comment

Btw, this is not Britain
              I hope more people could understand this is not America either. How many time could we read "in the US, they do like this and like that" to justify a position ?

I gave Britain as an extreme example of ways to do politics without having strict rules for everything. People have a margin out of the texts : texts give a direction when one is needed, because people have reasons to hesitate.
              I don't see hesitation in this matter. The rewording poll is irrelevant, because the compromise wasn't a possible answer (even if you suggested it in the thread). Should we post an unofficial poll with the compromise, I'm sure it will win by a landslide among its 20 voters. Tsk.

You're eager to talk big word with "defrauding the people" and such. But do you even realize "the people" you're talking about don't care about it at all ? The only people who have a genuine interest in this are those who posted here, even just to say "yea, I like this".
              "The people", in the way I see it, don't want to participate in quibbles over small things. For example, the first MoE proposal (mine) was something new, where the people had a decision on something relatively important : replacing 2 minor ministries by a middle-powered one. This poll got 50 answers, and 84% yes.
              Now, your last MoE poll only had 29 voters. Why ? Because it only suggested to reword the thing, without bringing anything news. People don't really care about the precise wording of the constitution, they care about how the game is played. I also see the important refusal as a sign people tend to dislike amendments diarrhea.

You feel a rewording of the MoE is necessary, like precise rules for the way to write the constitution. But you're forgetting an extremely important point : the contition is a tool for us, whose purpose it to be useful, not to be here.
              You fall into the trap all bureacucracies experience : you permanently add things to the text, without ever suggesting deletions. I'm against this trend. We're a "Democracy Game", not a "Bureacracy Boredom". Should we become a bureaucracy boredom, I think many people will do like SirRalph warned : leave the game because the fun is sucked out.

When I see your eagerness to make rules for every single matter, I now understand what civman meant by "the constitution will suck the fun out of the game". You might ask who I am to talk on behalf of the others ? Nothing more than a person who's seen this thread. You should look at it carefully, it's very interesting
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I hope more people could understand this is not America either.
                No kidding, and I understand this isn't America. That's one of the reasons I pushed for this change in the first place.

Should we post an unofficial poll with the compromise, I'm sure it will win by a landslide among its 20 voters. Tsk.
                What's that supposed to mean?

An OFFICIAL, non-amendment poll looks like the way to go at this point. And I am sure far more than 20 would vote on it Spiffor . It's a good idea, after all.

You're eager to talk big word with "defrauding the people" and such. But do you even realize "the people" you're talking about don't care about it at all?
                Sigh. First, I am sure many more people care about it than post in this thread.

Second, its the principle of the matter that is important. Even if you don't think so, EVERYONE must be given the CHANCE to vote on it, even if that vote has no hope of effecting the outcome.

I am sure there are a great many people who will enjoy the benefits of an easy to read CoL.

For example, thefirst MoE proposal (mine) was something new, where the people had a decision on something relatively important : replacing 2 minor ministries by a middle-powered one. This poll got 50 answers, and 84% yes.
                Now, your last MoE poll only had 29 voters. Why ?
                Sigh again. It's not like you to try to compare one of your polls with someone els's. I thought you were above that Spiff .

Also, it's not right to try to take credit for this idea of merging the two positions when it was something MANY of discussed from Long before that poll. I don't recall who raised the issue from the start (maybe it was you, I don't remember) but many many many people helped in the formation and development of this idea, not just yourself.

People don't really care about the precise wording of the constitution,
                Then why did 32 out of 46 voters already vote in favor of rewording your amendment in this poll?

Yes, that's right. This was already once voted on and approved by a super majority once, but out of fairness (and a respect for what is really a minority of the people) I decided to host a repoll. -Of course not as many will vote! Duh, they are probably sick of voting on the same thing twice, I don't blame them.

You fall into the trap all bureacucracies experience : you permanently add things to the text, without ever suggesting deletions.
                Where the HECK did you get that from?

When I see your eagerness to make rules for every single matter, I now understand what civman meant by "the constitution will suck the fun out of the game".
                Huh?

Calm down Spiffor, I am only trying to strike a compromise here, and get this matter settled. I consider it part of my job as Vice President.
                Last edited by Timeline; July 23, 2002, 15:51.

Comment

Shhhh.. be vewy vewy quiet! Its rabit hunting season.. and....

Whats with all the bickering? its a simple matter, decide if we should restructure the CoL or not. Its not about who invented sliced bread, or who told Krushchev to send men in space (muwhaahah, this isnt USA, its USSR!)....

btw, try and reach a consensus on something to vote on soon. I dislike being reminded that I might have to rebuild the constitution any moment now. Lets get this over with.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I totally agree with every word, line, setance, and paragraph appearing above ^.

"Let's get it on!"

btw Ninot, do you feel we should confirm this restructering prinicple with an amendment, or official poll?

Comment

official poll,

this doesnt seem to be much of an ammendment. Actually.. this should have been done before we wrote the CoL.. not afterwords

so official poll, leading to a re-build of the CoL
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

ok

be back in about an hour, I have a massive thunder and lightning storm to watch....

Comment

I'm fine with an official poll, as long as it doesn't involve an amendment.

Comment

I'm fine with an official poll, as long as it doesn't involve an amendment.
                            That's all you ever had to say

heh.......

Comment

How about this:

Question: Should we accept this as the standard for adding amendments into the CoL?

Options:
                              Yes
                              No

Any amendment placed into the Code of Laws should be summarized at the bottom of the CoL document in the “Amendments” section. This summery should contain (but is not limited to) the following information:

*Name of Amendment
                              *Date of inception
                              *Link to poll of validity
                              *Document location of amendment

If the amendment replaces or removes any existing text in the Code of Laws, this original text should be preserved in the amendment’s "summery".

Needs a simple majority to pass.

Lasts 5 days

Comment

I've been out of the loop on this discussion for too long. I trust all you big boys and girls can handle it. If yall put something up for vote, and I see it, I'll definately vote, but maybe not the way you want me to.

Kman
                                "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                                - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                                Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X