THe real OFFICIAL poll: Bill of Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THe real OFFICIAL poll: Bill of Rights

Vote yes or no for each clause. All clauses with 2/3 for yes will be included in amendment. Poll closes 7/26 (5 days).

I wrote most of this, but some is taken from proposals by Togas and Sirotnikov (I want to give them credit!).

Clause 1: No person shall be denied the right to become a citizen of Apolytonia.

Clause 2: No citizen shall ever be denied the right to vote in any poll.

Clause 3: Free speech shall not be abridged unless it violates apolyton rules.

Clause 4: No one shall be banned permanently from participating in the democracy game, excluding those who are permanently banned from apolyton. Note that people may still be banned for any amount of tiem, as long as it is not permanent.

Clause 5: THe right to associate into any form of organization shall not be denied.

Clause 6: No citizen may be punished in any way without due process of law.

Clause 7: No president shall ever use a version of the game which is not available to all players.

Clause 8: THe government may not knowingly hide information or give false information to the people.
    Clause 1: Yes
    9.89%
    Clause 1: No
    2.41%
    Clause 2: Yes
    9.89%
    Clause 2: No
    2.41%
    Clause 3: Yes
    9.89%
    Clause 3: No
    2.67%
    Clause 4: Yes
    8.56%
    Clause 4: No
    4.01%
    Clause 5: Yes
    10.43%
    Clause 5: No
    2.14%
    Clause 6: Yes
    10.43%
    Clause 6: No
    1.60%
    Clause 7: Yes
    8.02%
    Clause 7: No
    4.01%
    Clause 8: Yes
    9.63%
    Clause 8: No
    3.21%
    Banana (abstain)
    0.80%

The poll is expired.

Ok, I am seriously pissed. It still won't let me vote. I'm going to send a PM to Ming. Anyway, here is how I would have voted: 1 yes 2 yes 3 yes 4 yes 5 no 6 yes 7 no 8 yes.

Comment

if any of them are especially close your votes will be taken into account.

Comment

8x No

Comment

i voted banana AND i voted in each right. Does that make me special?

5-- no. There could be an association with the purpose of splintering off the game into two groups, for instance.

7-- I voted yes, but kinda wish I could take it back. The president can use a different version than others providing that the output is the same. This will probably never come up, but the wording is bad.

Comment

Yes to all!
            For your photo needs:
            http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I would vote yes to all, but I can't vote!

Comment

Guys, there is a thread or two about voting problems in the Community forum - I'm too lazy to find it for you though.

I can't vote first time either - but I have found if I go back to the thread and vote again, it works this time around.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

1. Yes. We want to share the fun with every interested people !
                  2. Yes. Provided we can (temporarily) ban someone from citizenship

3. No. It should say : "unless it violates rules of Apolytonia". I'll explain why :
                  In all cultures/civilizations/communities, there are some things people can't say without getting a sanction (it could be death penalty for insulting the king, it could be angry looks for being rude... anyways, for a sociologist, there are taboos in every human groups).
                  Let's face it, taboos DO hinder human freedom of speech. When the law doesn't punish their transgression, the society does (just imagine what would become of someone wearing an "I love Ben Laden" T-shirt in NY).
                  In our young Democracy Game, we have specific taboos, who have nothing to do with the rest of Apolyton forums. The best example is playing ahead and tell the future : ask most non DemoGamers, they'll spontaneously ask why it's bad. By forbidding soemone to tell the results of his playing ahead, we actually hinder his freedom of speech.
                  As time will pass by, we'll develop new taboos, like any society / community. If we don't want some blind sanctions for those who transgress the taboos, we need to stop this "absolute freedom of speech" hypocrisy. If we do this, our justice and laws will exert a fair and even punishment, rather than letting the populace do the dirty job.
                  (I insist : look closely at social relations, and you'll see that even politeness is a limitation to freedom of speech, albeit not a legal one)

4. Yes. We should forbid mistakes and always give second chances. However, we should have very long banning periods for those who act like jerks for the sake of it.

5. Yes. Otherwise, this is not a democracy.

6. Abstain. Our newborn law can't prevent everything (esp. things about breaking taboos, see above). If our law has ways to punish retractively (meaning a new law can apply for crimes before it was made), then my vote would be yes. But if not, well, our law cannot prevent everything.

7. Abstain. If only an extremely tiny minority (say 1-2 people) can't play with the new version, I say we could continue. Esp. since very few people attend turnchats, and play along. Most citizens rely on minister's feedback, or reporters, to live the game (IMO).

8. Yes. The government shall serve the people of Apolytonia, not the other way around. If we lose this sight, we aren't a democracy anymore.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I am nervious about this whole idea....
                    but I'll vote in favor anyways.
                    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                      Guys, there is a thread or two about voting problems in the Community forum - I'm too lazy to find it for you though.

I can't vote first time either - but I have found if I go back to the thread and vote again, it works this time around.
                      I am pretty convinced it is an AOL problem, as I have never had trouble using anything else. Perhaps it has to do with thier ip's, perhaps the way it handles cookies, I don't know, but voting is spotty when I use it, but perfect when I use other isp's.
                      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

bump...so far all clauses except 4 and 7 are passing.

Comment

the most important and controversial amendment is missing. what happened to

5. No one shall be denied the right to post an unofficial poll, unless it violates apolyton rules, is off topic, or it is redundant with a pre-existing thread.
                          ?

[from the old bill of rights thread]

we should at least vote on it. it is by far the most important one, but you didnt put it into the poll

Comment

because i dont think we ever had an official poll for it

Comment

According to your own rules civman you must count the abstain percent against every one of your "options".

Kinda crazy huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X