Can we reword the code of laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we reword the code of laws?

There has been some violent debating on rather or not ammendments must always be simple additions to the end of the code of laws, or if they can actually replace something in the code of laws.

If we were to reword something in the code of laws, that would involve actually replacing what is already there, and copying in the new passage in its place.

If we were to ammend to the code of laws as is the definition of that word, then nothing may be deleted from the code of laws. Instead, ammendments would go at the bottom, and state what they are changing.

So, the poll asks "Can we reword the code of laws"? (as is defined in the second paragraph of this post)

1: yes
    2: no

it needs a 2/3'rds decision to become official. So if it finishes anywhere between 66% and 50%, the vote can't apply to anything.
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Ninot; July 20, 2002, 22:06.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Nein.

Comment

edit: I had the wrong link here, use Timeline's.
      Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; July 20, 2002, 02:11.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I suggest you also go here.

Comment

Oh, and I also vote 'no' for reasons stated in the 'violent' debate.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

And I vote 'yes' for reasons stated in the 'violent' debate.

Comment

No
              Nein
              Nyet
              Hmm...I've exhausted my limited knowledge of how to say "no" in different languages.
              If you are unable to read this you are illiterate.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodFella
                No
                Nein
                Nyet
                Hmm...I've exhausted my limited knowledge of how to say "no" in different languages.
                how about non? thats two languages aint it?
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Ninot: Thanks for editing your post to make it more neutral, but I'm afraid you have still failed to eliminate all bias. (hard I know)

If we were to ammend to the code of laws as is the definition of that word,
                  I invite you, go look up the word in a dictionary. You will actually find it means alteration, among other things.

then nothing may be deleted from the code of laws.
                  Far from it! We will always keep records of the Constitution and never forget what it once was. Our Historians will no doubt joyfully recite how things have changed, and I know I myself always keep records of the CoL after every change.

The point is, for new ones coming here and trying to learn our laws, it would be much simpler and far more preferable to keep things simple as basic as possible. After all, our people voted for a limited constitution, not a real-life like one where you have to be a lawyer to figure it out!

Right now, it would take someone 30 minutes scrolling up and down to put together all the changes and get an understanding of our law. Just imagine when we have five amendments, or ten. Ouch, what a waste of time when it could all be put together simple and easy to understand.
                  Last edited by Timeline; July 20, 2002, 02:37.

Comment

Absofreakinlutely NOT.

New word, do I win a prize?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Although I see no problem with small edits to parts of the Constitution, I guess it could work with just an amendment instead.

/me sees the Constitution reaching biblical size proportions in the not-too-distant future.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

The only way I could see that being possible is if we pass an ammendment which basically says our new constitution is this, but I seriously doubt we ever need a 2nd or 3rd republic so to speak

Otherwise, short of a newly ratified constitution, the old one should stay as is.

EDIT: I could also see us doing it between demo games. But that is also a long way off.

Comment

As European I vote yes. The structure of Apolytonia Code of Laws is structure of American Constitution which is an old structure and very not comfortable. I urge all European and non-American people to vote yes. It can not be that newbie will read our constitution and he will have a dificiculties to find the correct meaning of it. Almost all countries uses the system of reword, because it is simply newer and better.
                          "We, in Poland, dont know the idea of peace at any price. There is only one thing in life of people, nations, and countries that is priceless. This thing is honor!" - Jozef Beck, Polish Foreign Minister. 5 V 1939

Comment

^

He is soo right on this one.

Comment

With the US Cconstitution, when an Amendment is added that contradicts an old portion, the new amendment supercedes the old, yet the old remains in the doc for historical purposes. The new amendment would have language indicating it over rides
                              Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                              "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Working...
                              X