Preservation of the Code of Laws: Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation of the Code of Laws: Discussion

In light of recent proposed ammendments by our electd officials, I propose that we act now to preserve the original document, leave it topped, and allow present and future presidents to alter it through AMMENDMENTS, not edits.

The current proposed changes will EDIT and CHANGE the original text as opposed to adding ammendments to change its meaning. Why should this matter, you ask? There are several reasons.

First:

Changing is unneccessary(sp), ammendments could have been added ala the Minister of Economy ammendment to alter the original meaning. Future presidents could have simply REPLIED to the old thread with an ammendment.

Second:

It would preserve as a historical reminder of whence we came, and how our Code of Laws changed as we grew.

Third:

It would provide easy access for us to ensure that no changes were made without aproval. Imagine an unethical President changing a word or two. Our court would need to sort through all our pas threads to find the original just to see if it happened, but would first need to NOTICE it in the first place.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Good points.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I completely and whole heartedly agree

i just need some consensus on what im supposed to do with our Foreign minister, who still has some stuff in his little article about the Trade minister, which no longer exists.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

My only dillema currently is when the Economy minister was ammended, the Foreign Minister was left with references to the now non-existant trade minister

that, and as Timeline has pointed out, nothing was ever ammended about how the SAV is distributed.

now, i can ammend these things NOW without a 3 day wait, or...

Comment

The Minister of Economy ammendment already states that the job became a part of him. This covers that when the FAM needs to talk to MoT it is now the MoE...is it really that confusing?

Looking at the old thread, however, I change my stance a bit. We need a thread dedicated to the code of laws. The only way to change it is to reply with an ammendment. Leave who is what in another thread. We must do this now, however, before it is changed beynd recognition.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I also agree... things cannot be erased... that's why we add amendments to the end. If people are too lazy to get through reading to the bottom, then they probably didn't or shouldn't be read the thing in the first place.

Comment

Timeline is proposing REPLACEMENTS, not amendments. DO NOT REPLACE CLAUSES, let them stand and be changed by ammendments so that in thousands of years we will know where our past errors were, and therefore no make them again.
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                The Minister of Economy ammendment already states that the job became a part of him. This covers that when the FAM needs to talk to MoT it is now the MoE...is it really that confusing?

Looking at the old thread, however, I change my stance a bit. We need a thread dedicated to the code of laws. The only way to change it is to reply with an ammendment. Leave who is what in another thread. We must do this now, however, before it is changed beynd recognition.
                Ok, i can see how it might be simple to see that all occurances of Trade and Finance would be replaced with Economy. But we still gotta ammend this SAV thing.

the way it is now is that if it has to be ammended.. I ammend it threw editing. That works fine and dandy, as long as you know where it is (yeah, i know.. ill make it its own thread). But ammendment threw editing works better than ammendment threw additional posts, IMHO.

Comment

If it's amended, add it to the bottom. Simple as that. That's how they've been specified to be added to our Constitution, that's how it should go.

Comment

allright! im adding it, cuz its been voted on and blah blah blah, lol.

Comment

What about a topped Code of Laws thread NEVER to be rewritten by future presidents, just added to with ammendments?
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                        What about a topped Code of Laws thread NEVER to be rewritten by future presidents, just added to with ammendments?
                        thats what I was thinking. I would prefer it was edited to add the amendments rather than posting the ammendments underneath, but that would mean a new thread every month.

Comment

btw
                          These independent agents are bestowed the great privilege of keeping the people informed on the happenings of the game and government, as well as the general environment around us. They should strive to obtain accurate facts, and state things how they are, free of political involvement. The reporters act as a window into the game, serve as a government watchdog, and are general tool of the people.
                          Just doing my job.
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                            thats what I was thinking. I would prefer it was edited to add the amendments rather than posting the ammendments underneath, but that would mean a new thread every month.
                            Maybe we can talk to Markos about addressing this problem?

Comment

I agree with trip. Also if something is made obsolete by an amendment, it just stays in, kinda like an outdated historical reference. We simply can't make a "new" constitution for every amendment. The amendment will cover any relevant changes. Similar to how we still have the 3/5 person(encouraged by northern states) written into our constitution, but it is long since been outdated. So there really is no reason to change the reference to trade minister. Those are already handled by the amendment.
                              Aggie
                              The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Working...
                              X