New Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Patch

I know this has been addressed before, but now we need to know desperately.

On Friday, the new patch comes out in the US, and, maybe, elsewhere.

Do we use it? It seems like a good patch, but is it fair to use it for the Democracy game? And will new saves be compatible with old patches?
    ~THE DARK LORD APOLON

Re: New Patch

Originally posted by The Dark Lord
    It seems like a good patch, but is it fair to use it for the Democracy game?
    Any patch or official addition to Civ3 should be fair to the democracy game, because it's still Civ3. Plus, the less bugs we have, the better.

Comment

Re: Re: New Patch

Originally posted by Edrix

Any patch or official addition to Civ3 should be fair to the democracy game, because it's still Civ3. Plus, the less bugs we have, the better.
      I agree. We must upgrade. Less bugs, better game.....
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Will the new version be compatible, though, with the older versions that people in Europe and other places will be using until the new patch is available to them?

Kman
        "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
        - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
        Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

What about those in other countries? They usually do not release their patches at the same time... or so I am told.

Same with Mac people. (HA! HAHA!!!) I wouldn't even mention THEM except I was one of them for a good long time and I still do have my Mac...which I used for Civ2 and may again one day.

My point is it would be unfair to upgrade if they could not...especially if our ministers do not live in the good ole' US of A.
          ~THE DARK LORD APOLON

Comment

can't they also download the patch from civ3.com or apolyton?
            Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
            Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
            Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
            Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

this needs polling, but currently im against patching if it keeps our European friends out of the mix
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                this needs polling, but currently im against patching if it keeps our European friends out of the mix
                Agreed. (One of the things I love about this game is imagining people around the globe checking in, time zone by time zone, as the planet spins.)
                aka, Unique Unit
                Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Originally posted by Captain
                  can't they also download the patch from civ3.com or apolyton?
                  People who have the game, in say France, have a French version of the game. For some reason the programming is diffrent, I guess, becuase typically differnt versions are not compatible with each other. In other words, the U.S. patch probably would cause a French or German game to crash if they tried to run it with their French or German version.

Kman
                  Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Unless there's a simultaneous release of patches for all locals of the world, then it won't be possible for some people to load up the game. A simultaneous release is highly unlikely, but we'll see.

Comment

Oh, I see.
                      Ok, then I'm against, if it prevents some of our citizens from playing. That wouldn't be fair.
                      Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                      Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                      Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                      Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Originally posted by Robber Baron

Agreed. (One of the things I love about this game is imagining people around the globe checking in, time zone by time zone, as the planet spins.)

In the central time zone I'm just getting up from bed after most people have eaten lunch, and I go to bed after they've been asleep for hours - at least during the summer. Im probably on the same schedual as someone in, oh... i dunno.. Hawaii perhaps...

Kman

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                          Unless there's a simultaneous release of patches for all locals of the world, then it won't be possible for some people to load up the game. A simultaneous release is highly unlikely, but we'll see.
                          I heard Japan just got that last patch version (v1.21 I believe) that we've had for months, just a couple of weeks ago. So if history repeats itself, and it always does, then We will be without the latest patch for awhile, because I for see it being like a few weeks before the Euros get it. I guess once the majority of or population can get it or something, then we can upgrade. We shall poll...

Kman

Comment

Originally posted by Kramerman

I heard Japan just got that last patch version (v1.21 I believe) that we've had for months, just a couple of weeks ago. So if history repeats itself, and it always does, then We will be without the latest patch for awhile, because I for see it being like a few weeks before the Euros get it. I guess once the majority of or population can get it or something, then we can upgrade. We shall poll...

Kman
                            personally, i might install a second civilization 3 into my PC, put the latest patch there, and ill have my current civ3 just for demogames
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

We'll probably have a majority in favor of upgrading. Question is : What majority do we need to officially upgrade ? Should we need a 51% majority, at the risk of letting up to 49% of people out of the loop ? Should we need a 67% majority ? 75% majority ?
                              Personnaly, I favor a 67% majority, as it doesn't hinder us from updating too much, without frustrating too many people.

I also think we should wait some days after the patch is released before polling : remember, a patch almost always had problems the very day it was out (some kind of a tradition at Firaxis ). And polling few days after the patch is out will let us profit from the feedback from users.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X