X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about this to handle the issue of concessions or resignations:

Order of Succession
    -------------------
    In the event an elected official cannot complete his duties for the term or in the event
    the winner of an election concedes defeat, then the President elect shall nominate a
    replacement who is otherwise qualified to run for the office to the post subject to
    approval of the the people by a majority vote which shall count as being duely elected
    to the office in question for that term. In the event it is the office of president
    in question, then the vice president shall be promoted to president, and appoint his
    replacement in the manner outlined above. In the further event that the vice
    president is also unable to assume the role of president, then the order of succession
    to president is as follows: Military advisor, Science Advisor, Foreign Advisor, and
    Trade Advisor.
    But then again, how much of this is necessary? Shall we plan for the so-improabable-that-it-wil-be-nigh-on-unheard-of? The judiciary is needed for such emergencies, and NOT incredibly detailed, weighty legislation."
    Probally not But its still fun and doesn't hurt to have it in there.

Comment

I agree we should wait and see what Markos can do. We need to take our time and not jump into this and end up making a bad decision.
      Staff Member of Apolytonian War Academy
      Member of the UFC

Comment

I got an idea a order of secession does not make since because on what grounds is a Military Advisor more able to take the position than the Science Advisor and that applies to and of the advisors. I think that in the event that the president that the cannot fufil his duties we have and election and all of the advisors are canidates.
        Member of the UFC

Comment

Yeah I dont think anyone is going to rush to put this up for ratification yet This just meant to be more of a "drafting convention" for us to try to figure out what sort of concensus we have for when the time does come.

And beyond what Markos can do to help us with the voter registration issues. We don't need to try to finalize this until the court ammendment passes since it could impact this.

Comment

Just trying to through in an idea
            Member of the UFC

Comment

Originally posted by Decimus
              I got an idea a order of secession does not make since because on what grounds is a Military Advisor more able to take the position than the Science Advisor and that applies to and of the advisors. I think that in the event that the president that the cannot fufil his duties we have and election and all of the advisors are canidates.
              Heh its a very unlikely event that both president and VP are out of the picture, but I agree, I was just trying to tailor the order of succession somewhat on our own (from a US perspective) constitution.

Comment

Yeah i see were you coming from i just dont think it would applie just the same to our world.
                Member of the UFC

Comment

we should force our citizens to request official certificates (well, real ones! rl-ones!) and check those.
                  Maybe we should also request the citizens to publish their real address. We can then send out the voting papers via postal service to them and count the results coming back.
                  But:
                  1) we will be as slow as rl-elections. propably even slower
                  2) we dont fight the bogus votes, as citizens will still be able to get themselves registered multiple times
                  Hean of the UN delegation ofFANATIKA

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!

Comment

Way to slow stick to online elections postal like you say would be way to slow.
                    Member of the UFC

Comment

Again, I feel that we should wait and see if Markos has a solution for us. I'm sure we can find a script or program somewhere that will allow 100% accuracy, secrecy and fairness if we wish to. There's no need to do something as tedious as having each person post to vote.

Comment

They have a way of doing it at CF, so I think we can probably do it here. My problem is that I STILL CAN'T VOTE GOD****IT!!!!!!

Comment

Each election takes place from the 12th of the month until the 16th. A Pre-Election thread must be created by the current President or Vice-President at least a week before the elections are set to take place. All elections must last 5 days, until the 16th. All candidates must announce their candidacy before the elections begin in that thread, or else he will be excluded from the ballot. Once the 5 days has passed, then the new or reelected officials will be admitted to their offices.
                          12th-16th is only 4 days.

A person may run for only one office per election
                          I still don't like this.

1. registered members, but this is only enforced if the winner has under 55% of the vote AND a 2-day, majority vote of the people agrees to have nonmember votes discarded.
                          2. any time at all, including the last second of the election
                          3. sure, but only after the election ends

Comment

12-16 is 5 days: 12, 13,14, 15, 16.

Comment

Perhaps we should just say a number of hours, say 120 from when the poll starts, just to help those who see 12-16 as 4 days. If a poll starts 00:00 on the 12th and ends 23:59 the 16th, this is 5 full days.

civman: Why don't you like the restriction of a candidate running for only one position per election? There is the very real possibility of someone winning two positions - we cannot let them have both, so would they choose one and invalidate the second election automatically?

This is surely non-ideal, unless you had another idea in mind...?
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

i'm not going to argue any more about allowing people to run for multiple positions. BUt I have made many many polls and I know that the 12th to hthe 16th is 4 days.

If you start a 5-day poll at 12:00 on the 12th, it ends at 12:00 on the 17th. COunt the hours, it works. The last elections were one day too long as were the first ones.

If you start one at 0:00 on the 12th and set it for 5 days, it will end 0:00 on teh 17th. However, polls do not (in general except maybe for MrWIA with his wacky timezoe ) start at 0:00. GMT, North Americans make them between 4 am and 3 pm (usually). Europeans make them from around 9 am to 9 pm. But very few people in the demo game would make elections at a time that would be within a few minutes of midnight for most other people, which is the only situation in which your reasoning works.

Comment

Working...
                                X