Landmark Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epistax
    uber isle? Isn't that assuming it's an island?

weak possibility: connected to our mainland
    possibility: BIG
    Well, Chris Columbus thought that North America was India, so he called the natives Indians. They are stilled (unofficially) called Indians, so.......And anyways, it could be like Rhode Island, which I believe isn't really an island. Am I correct?. However, I would like to disagree with the name Uber in it. He can have a city, not a landmass, or so I've heard. Unless Uber Isle was named by a German, and it just translates to Over Isle .
    I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Maybe we could decide the names of terrian features via polls, but given the reliability of those things (*points at the Presidential election*), we probably shouldn't count on it.
      But I think whoever finds a certain landmark/land area first, or acknowledges its stragetic importance first, should get to name it. That's typically how it works in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Edrix
        I think whoever finds a certain landmark/land area first, or acknowledges its stragetic importance first, should get to name it. That's typically how it works in the real world.
        BTW, has anybody noticed this strategically important continent we're standing on?
        aka, Unique Unit
        Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Originally posted by SwitchMoO

Well, Chris Columbus thought that North America was India, so he called the natives Indians. They are stilled (unofficially) called Indians, so.......And anyways, it could be like Rhode Island, which I believe isn't really an island. Am I correct?. However, I would like to disagree with the name Uber in it. He can have a city, not a landmass, or so I've heard. Unless Uber Isle was named by a German, and it just translates to Over Isle .
          rhode island isnt an island. correct.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think someone should suggest names, and the name is adopted if nobody voices a strong opposition, as it has been done until now. With this, we already have accepted landmarks such as "Notylopa", "the Great Rift", "Mountains of Valhalla". If we give the ability to name landmarks to the one who discovers them first, Uber and other turnchatters will get to name pretty everything. Our current system, while not flawless, is fine.
            If we want to name something after one's own screenname, we can do this with cities ("Tassagrad")
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I agree with the first come, first serve idea. That means that it's Home Divide.

Anyway, it's Uber Isle, not Island.

Comment

skywalker : actually, if it was "first come first serve", our sea would be called "the Great Sea of Apolytonia" as Panag suggested ages ago in my landmark name thread.
                Saying it's first come first serve is utterly stupid, as many megalomaniacs will struggle over their "firstness".
                I find "Home Divide " terrible, and I don't think anybody who still has his senses will use it.
                My suggestion for this ocean remains "Arcadian Ocean" (Vlad Antlerkov). What do you people think ?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  ... many megalomaniacs will struggle over their "firstness".
                  I have to agree here -- first-come naming prerogatives would create really tedious problems.

(And I personally am not that crazy about "Home Divide" either.)
                  aka, Unique Unit
                  Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

As for the French Plains, how about The Great Rift Valley. OK, not the most creativve name, but it makes sense.
                    If you are unable to read this you are illiterate.

Comment

The "Home Divide" is just that little straight between Uber Isle and the mainland.

Comment

To tell the truth I don't like the name "Home Divide" ether. How about just Apolyton Channel or something like that.
                        Overworked and underpaid C/LTJG in the NJROTC
                        If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?
                        If fail to plan, then you plan to fail

Comment

Originally posted by SwitchMoO

Well, Chris Columbus thought that North America was India, so he called the natives Indians. They are stilled (unofficially) called Indians,
                          Columbus thought he had found the Indies Islands, not India that why he called them Indians.

I agree let's learn more of the lay of the land before naming certain things. I don't have a problem with naming landmarks after people unless it goes overboard: like Lake kring, Plains of kring, Hills of kring, that kind of thing; though I wouldn't want a city or landmark named after me. I don't mind naming either one.

How about a name for our current continent?

Comment

IMHO ...... we should ask the Minister of Imperial Expansion to handle this.
                            Every Mon - he selects 2 strategic landscape and invite everybody to propose names.
                            Wed - he shortlists max 5 names for each landscape and set up poll.
                            Sat - poll closed. Name with the most number of votes is selected. Announces to the public.
                            C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

I already thought of changing it, as I don't really like "home divide" either. However, I really don't want any more "Apolyton-esque" names. I think either Sky Channel (from Skywalker Channel) or Skywalker's Crossing (as I want to be on the first ship to cross it).

Comment

Working...
                              X