The New Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robber Baron

It would be a suicide run, with a chance for success and a chance for failure. (Feeling lucky? )

Which would make it all the more costly, since it might well take us several galleys, several settlers, and several garrison units to get planted.
    you would never risk a settler.

you send over empty galleys, until one makes it all the way.

you build another galley, and load it with yor settlers / garrisons.

you set it up so the foriegn-based boat is 3 tiles from the other boat.

the mainland boat moves the 3 tiles, and you move the settlers/garrisons across to the other boat.

you risk the galley but not the cargo, and the boat thats on the foriegn land has 0 chance of dying. its the mailand boats you risk / have to replace.

the secod we get mapmaking we should begin trying for it, maybe with a warrior to do a little scouting there.

it would be sweet if it was an decent island that WASNT a jugle.

since im the first person to think of the idea, if it's an island i declare it Uber Isle! if it's part fo another cotinent, part of our own continent, whatever, i dont care about the name

speaking of which, when do i get to name a city?

do i get to name 2 sicne i was elected twice?

EDIT: made some sense of the last setence.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Edrix

Actually, having a few settlers in reserve would help, especially considering all of the possible city sites we've got our eyes on following the War Against the States. We probably shouldn't divert too much time/resources squarely towards the new land, however, until we win. In the event that the land across the channel is not habitable, we could always divert the Galley/Settler elsewhere and settle.
      i have no problem popping out a few settlers in between archers.

when the cities reach a size 4, settlers should be made (pendig the army suitation).
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

you would never risk a settler.

you send over empty galleys, until one makes it all the way.

you build another galley, and load it with yor settlers / garrisons.

you set it up so the foriegn-based boat is 3 tiles from the other boat.

the mainland boat moves the 3 tiles, and you move the settlers/garrisons across to the other boat.
        Dang, that's cool! I've never tried that. Kind of like the transfer trick in CivII.
        Would it be considered an exploit? Nah.
        aka, Unique Unit
        Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Originally posted by Robber Baron

Dang, that's cool! I've never tried that. Kind of like the transfer trick in CivII.
          Would it be considered an exploit? Nah.
          it's not the same thing (and therefore not an exploit)

the ship chains of civ2 would allow you infinate movement. in this game you have to waste a movement point going onto the boat (you cant just re-load on the new boat, i think).

Comment

Originally posted by Epistax
            You know what I don't see? An enemy zone of control-- at least some of that land is free for grabbing (assuming it's habitable). If this land is indeed usable, then perhaps our palace need not move to another location, it might yet prove to be the center of our empire.
            Very good idea, Epistax!

Since the tiles between the continents(?) look like all sea, shipping a settler over is not a big risk, and it's even zero if we consider to use the ship chaining exploit. If we find habitable land there, the first city will probably have only a small corruption and will be able to build the other settlers itself.

I don't think it's a continent. Continents are much farther from each other, especially on huge maps, and separated by ocean, not sea. I think it's only an island. Anyway, it's useful!

Go for Map making!

Comment

Who knows, maybe fair Apolyton might be our true capital after all?
              aka, Unique Unit
              Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Really cool idea Uberkrux with the using 2 boats to move the settler. Im almost ashamed now that ive never thought of that and lost so many settlers that way in my various games :P

As for the new land, war with the yanks first, then explore the new land, at least thats how id do it. Because we are almost guaranteed to win against the yanks and get a good core empire, the new island might just be 2 squares or it might be enough room for 2 cities between the japanese and zulu

Comment

Excellent! If we can get over without losing sight of Plan Whatever it is today, it could set us up nicely.
                  Diderot was right!
                  Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
                  Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

We could call it the Uber Gambit

Comment

Also, I claim naming privileges for the water between the island and mainland - I call it Home Divide.

Comment

oh, and dotn worry, mapmaking is defiately a while off. well after thae war with america and stuff.

Comment

I like the idea, except for one thing:
                          Uber Isle. While I respect Uncle Uber greatly, (at least before he took his new avatar ) I don't think he deserves to have a landmass named after him... maybe we could call it The Promised Land or something like that? After all, it looks like Banana may very well have given us the gift that we need most.
                          ~THE DARK LORD APOLON

Comment

bah. i just wanted an isle named after me!

::runs crying into the corner::

Comment

If the island cannot fit more than one city comfortably, then we can go ahead and call it Uber Isle. If the populace votes to do so...
                              ~THE DARK LORD APOLON

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                                oh, and dotn worry, mapmaking is defiately a while off. well after thae war with america and stuff.
                                Actually several nations have mapmaking I jsu found out, so it was just 3hrs away
                                Aggie
                                The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Working...
                                X