War Acacemy: Tactic for the upcoming war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Acacemy: Tactic for the upcoming war

This is a discussion thread for tactics for the upcoming war. I believe that we still have not come to an official consensus regarding the target, but we know a lot of the terrain of America and France, so we can still think up some individual tactics. Ideas, anyone?

What I believe we should do is accost the American Empire, if indeed it can be called that, as soon as we have, say eight archers, and several spearmen, perhaps three, to move with them to defend them if they are attacked. I believe that we must move up from the south towards the border that faces Washington, itself, the capital of the Americans, and that then, once we have crossed the border and called up Lincoln, we shall tell him to his face that we have declared war on him, and then, before he can even react, we must make our assault on Washington, and fall on them hard, with as many archers as is necessary or practicable. In other words, we must catch them by surprise, but at the same time, we must declare war on them before the attack, and thus preserve a good standing foreign status. I believe that if we have enough well-trained men, we can take Washington within the first turn that we attack, and that the vile enemy's capital will fall. If the Americans only have two cities as this point, than we should not go after New York (unless the President decides to destroy the enemy totally, though I do not believe he had). Hopefully, the enemy by this point will have three cities, and so we can move on to New York and take that, and still leave the enemy broken, but not totally destroyed, and little more than a vassal-state for our own mighty empire.

I do not believe that much at all can be gained by attacking the French. They have nothing, I believe, short of iron, that the Americans do not, and the Americans still might have iron yet, I do not believe that we have scouted enough to find out.
    Empire growing,
    Pleasures flowing,
    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

We mass our tanks in Banana HQ, cluster the destroyers for a blockade at Orleans, start gifting our allies-to-be ....

Seriously, seems kind of simple to me. Case Pink essentials still apply. We have to strike quickly, en masse. So we stack 2 spears and as many archers as we can assemble, and march them toward ....
      Well, we need more scouting before deciding on a target city and angle of approach. (I'm hoping Washington sits right below a mountain.)
      aka, Unique Unit
      Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Tactics, not strategy. We need to know, say, what tile to move to if this happens etc.

Comment

Before we can really develope a keen and absolute tactic, we must, know ye not, get a keen idea of the terrain and land about the great city itself. Then and only then can we decide really what tactic we should use. I ask you, good sir, has Washington ever been mapped, or pictured, do we know what the terrain about it is?
          Empire growing,
          Pleasures flowing,

Comment

remember: capitals are always well defended, even in the early game. they might have 5 units defending it. why not raze a few other cities before starting on washington. the other cities are much less defended. we might fail against the capital, but if we had razed a few cities before that, we could still get a good deal on the barganing table.

Comment

But sir! I ask you, what point is there in razing a city! It only damages us, sir. Indeed, would a captured city be of more use as a part of empire than as a smoldering ruin?
              Empire growing,
              Pleasures flowing,

Comment

I don't think we need raze a city. At this stage in the game we need all the resources we can get, especially people.

I suggest we send out an army of whatever we can afford without leaving ourselves open and attack the nearest American city.

Dave
                Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

It may not be our choice. It may be autorazed.

Comment

I have yet to see a capital with more than three units this early in the game. At least when it is my first target. If we target another city first, you can bet they will reinforce the capital quickly. As it is, they will have at least two turns to reinforce before our attack, why give them more?

We must strike the Capital because it is the most productive city, it will not auto-raze, and therefore the most damaging, and most profitable blow we can deliver. With any luch our second target will either be the 'new' capital, or have an improvement, therefore preventing auto-raze.

Also, we do not want to cross boarders untill after we declare war. No need to tarnish our reputation in that way especially so early in the game.

We need more info before deciding which square to go to. Should wait till just before the attack, 10 or so turns before.
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I'm guessing Unortho's right: we'll probably encounter 2 or 3 spears, or 2 spears and a warrior, plus an archer (or sword or horseman, coming in to attack). I don't expect to encounter 5 defenders.
                      On the other hand, if the capitol is ringed with other cities and we have to make our way deep into American territory in order to reach the capitol, then our attacking force might be winnowed down. In that case, taking a city en route and pop-rushing a barracks might be necessary. Though that makes this war a much messier proposition.
                      aka, Unique Unit
                      Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Sir Ralph, Uber, and others have already calculated that 8 Archers will work.

Comment

America, at least is unlikely to be 'ringed' with cities. It is boardered with jungle on the west, they have already claimed the dye to their south, so there is little incentive for them to expande a Jungle city to the west.

France, too, has Jungle to their west, although one would preferr to be comming from the mountains, this would likely provide a route to the capital without having to deal with satellite cities first.

I would be surprised to find three spears in either capital, likely 2 plus an archer or warrior or two. Though I suppose they COULD pop rush another spear.

Ideally, our attack will occur right as a settler/spear team leaves (they rarely turn back), thus preventing pop rush and reducing defenders.
                          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

If what you say is true - Capitals are never auto-razed, then we must attack Washington first. Is it also the nearest American city?
                            Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Indeed, capitals do not auto raze. Washington is not the nearest city, but it is close enough. Just have to bypass the one with the dyes, but can attack Washington directly from either side at the moment.
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X