Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial Poll: What Advance Should We Research Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial Poll: What Advance Should We Research Next?

(This poll expires in five days. Current date is Thrusday, Jine 20 at 1:35 AM US Mountain Time)

Just wondering what the people are wanting at this current moment.

We are currently researching "Bronze Working", which should be done in about 22 turns. After which, we will get the Spearman unit which has 2 defense, one offense, one movement.

I recommend researching Alphabet. Although having no benifits in itself, Alphabet opens the door for both Mathematics and Writing. Although Mathematics provides some benifits (the catipult, and opens the door for currency and is required for construction) writing is truely a gem. Not only does it open the door for Literature, Code of Laws, Philosophy, and Map Making, it allows us to establish embassies with other countries which is required for making certain treaties (which come up later).

UberKrux and Apocalypse also had a suggestion: The Wheel. At first I was completly against it, but after sitting down and thinking about it, it actually may be a viable option. It provides us with the horsemen, a powerful fast attacking unit with a 2 attack, 1 defense, 2 movement rating. This would certainly be benefical to our military counquests which will no doubt be required during a war. However, there is a downside: This unit requires the horses strategic resource. Horses do not appear in jungle so therefore there is a small chance that we will NOT have horses. But again, there is a chance of it and if there are horses near us, we will gain access to a powerful unit. An arguement for this is that there is always a strategic resource near you. But, I still stand by Alphabet. However, this is my second most recommended option.

There is also another advance for warmongers. Iron Working would allow us access to the swordsmen which cannot be upgraded, however, it has a 3.2.1 Attack/Defense/Movement. This would allow us to defend our cities and launch attacks against other Civilizations. However again, there is a chance that we do not have access to the iron strategic resource. In my games, there is less of a chance of Iron appearing than there is horsemen. A big gamble with this advance, however, it does open the door to construction.

Pottery I strongly recommend against because the benefits of this advance are very questionable. The Granary, while improving growth, will open up unhappiness problems which we may not want or be able to deal with at this time. It does allow us to research Map Making (if writing has already been researched) however it's benefits are questionable as well. Map Making is almost useless if were not on an island, however, depending on our position the harbor city improvement could be useful.

Warrior Code is another advance I am not fond of researching because the Archer simply does not have enough benefits to research it. Yes, it does have a 2.1.1 A/D/M, but compared to the War Chariot's 2.1.2....This should be put off for last. It opens the door for Monarchy and Horseback Riding.

Mysticism allows us to build the Oracle. This (I believe) doubles the effect of temples in all cities. This would take care of unhappiness problems although that's the only benefit it has. It's next advance, Polytheism, provides nothing but is required for Monarchy, the first (out of two) warmongering governments.

Remember that because this decision is very far away, this poll is unofficial and has no bearing on what we will research next. Just wanting the peoples opinion in order to formulate my plans.
    Iron Working (Swordsmen)
    9.09%
    Alphabet (Required for Mathematics and Writing)
    33.33%
    Pottery (Granaries) (Required for Map Making)
    7.58%
    The Wheel (War Chariot) (Required for Horseback Riding)
    24.24%
    Warrior Code (Archers) (Required for Horseback Riding, Monarchy)
    9.09%
    Mysticism (The Oracle) (Required for Polytheism)
    0.00%
    Banana (Abstain)
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Nubclear; June 20, 2002, 03:42.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

I suggest we make the decision in 20 turns when we know what lays on the other side of the banana expanse.

If it is coast. MAP MAKING NOW!

If it is good land, the Wheel.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If it is good land then coast...
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Warrior code, if it's good land. The Wheel (War Chariots) would need a road through the whole jungle, which takes looong even as industrious civ. For Horseback Riding (Horsemen are jungle going, unlike WC's) we would need both Warrior code and The Wheel, so if we discover Warrior code first, we'd have a jungle-going and non resource depending attacker meanwhile.

Comment

Unless we jump.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

To those of you whom are voting for pottery: Can you at least tell us why? I'm confused as to why anyone would vote pottery unless they wanted to get to Map Making faster.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

KruX will croak when he sees this. I am right now.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

I trust you, Tassadar.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I vote Iron Working. With our UU out of action due to all the jungle, swordsmen are our next best bet in terms of offensive warfare. With swordsmen we can defend our empire plus blackmail rival civs into giving us maps, money and technology (just before we throw them onto the trash heap of history).

Alphabet would be my second choice: it opens the way to a number of scientific advances. But if we research iron working (and hopefully get lucky enough to find a nearby iron deposit) we might be able to quickly blackmail alphabet out of a rival. That's the advantage of IW: it takes awhile to develop, but once you've got it you can use it to get caught up in the tech race.
                  "Terminate, with extreme prejudice"

Comment

In spite of the minister's recommendations, I voted for pottery because the growth benefits of the granary will allow us to produce more workers and settlers faster. This will aid our early expansion, which will in turn help us get the other techs sooner.

However, I will also support alphabet.
                    Last edited by Guardian; June 20, 2002, 04:29.
                    "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
                    -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

How many who have voted have played emporer?

Sorry to be elitist, but...

This ain't civ 2.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        How many who have voted have played emporer?

Sorry to be elitist, but...

This ain't civ 2.
                        Wise words, but the wind will blow them away unheard, I fear .

Comment

I strongly recommand we use this vote as a reference for our tech planning, rather than the others. It's the one which gives all choices, and whose question and answers aren't rigged at all. This poll is undoubtedly the most democratic one on the issue.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Please, do not tie Tass to the outcome.

First of all. We do not yet know enough to make a good decision. Another 10 turns are required (or so).

We are all running off half cocked, because none of us can wait for the next turns.

Many things are premature.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

I haven't played Emperor... But how come?
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X