Next Scheduled Turnchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Scheduled Turnchat

This post will constantly be edited and changed to show the next up-and-coming turnchat. Thanks to whoever suggested it, I forget who it was now.

Alright, due to technical difficulties involving Apolyton's chatroom, all turnchats from now on will be using IRC. Apolyton can't handle the number of people we bring, so we have to find an alternative. In this post, I have a little tutorial by UberKrux to help you guys out if you can't figure it out.

The server is: Irc.Dal.Net and the room is #Civ3Dem.

Next Turnchat scheduled for:

Sunday, July 14th, 2100 GMT (4pm EST)

Turnthread Experiment: Tuesday, July 16th (Thread opened on Sunday, to be played at 2100 GMT)

Thursday, July 18th, 2100 GMT (4pm EST)

Here's a tutorial for getting into the chat, courtesy of UberKrux:

WE ARE HOLDING ALL TURNCHATS ON IRC NOW, AS APOLYTONS CHATROOM DIES WHEN WE ALL JOIN

for the advanced people this is all you need:
    Server: irc.dal.net
    Channel: #civ3dem

for the people that haven't used IRC (Internet Relay Chat) yet, there are 2 ways to get into the chat.

If you want to install mIRC software (Windows)[list=1][*]go to www.mirc.com and download the client[*]install and run the client[*]when it opens it'll say you should register, ignore it if you see it[*]it'll ask for a full name, an email address, and 2 nicknames[*]i just put krux for the real name and email, and my nicknames are UberKruX and UberKruX- (the second one is just in case someone has your nickname)[*]Your nickname should be SOMETHING like your poly name, if not the exact thing. we need to recognize you[*]in the "IRC Network" Dropdown box, select DALnet[*]under that combo box, theres another one. pick a server close to you, or whatever you want if you cant find one real close.[*]hit "connect to irc server"[*]a lot of text will scroll by, and there might be a few failed connection attempts. let it run for a while. if it fails, choose another server.[*]when it connects a box should pop up, labeled "mIRC Channels Folder". type "#civ3dem" in the box (no quotes)[*]you should be in the chat at this point.[*]if the channels box didnt pop up, you should see a LONG textbox at the bottom of the screen, type "/join #civ3dem" (again, no quotes) and you'll be in.[/list=1]

if you dont want to download mIRC, there is a java client you can use
    • go to www.dal.net
    • on the right, theres a box that says "Chat Now!", and asks for a nickname. Type in something like your apolyton name, and click Go!
    • if your browser asks you to install the java components, approve them and let them install.
    • a box should then pop up, which looks like a chatroom.
    • type "/join #civ3dem" (no quotes) in the line where you would send text (bottom line)
    • you should now be in the chat.

hope this helps you guys.
    Last edited by Jon Shafer; July 14, 2002, 15:31.

How do you top threads? Are you a mod?

or is it another one of those: ya gotta have 500 posts or somethin?

Comment

Originally posted by Timeline
      How do you top threads? Are you a mod?

or is it another one of those: ya gotta have 500 posts or somethin?
      No, I'm just god-like.

Comment

Why did you use Yellow? Anyways. Hopefully I get caught up by then.
        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

No, I'm just god-like.
          First a Despot, now a Deity.......I think we got a regular megalomaniac on our hands.

Comment

So people's attention goes straight to the date when they open up the thread. Makes sense to me. You noticed it after all.

Comment

Bold would have been better yellow is hard to read on default.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                Bold would have been better yellow is hard to read on default.
                Okay okay, I changed it to blue.

Comment

Comment

Oh I forgot to ask is the next turnchat going to be on IRC or in Poly's chat room?

Comment

Apolyton. I hope to change things over to IRC over the next couple chats, but telling everyone that they have to download mIRC, etc. would be too tedious at this point. Oh, and everyone who wants to be in the turnchat, please, DO get mIRC, and get it configured. I'm still figuring out which server to use, but the room will be #Apolytonia.

Comment

IRC tutorial for dummies

To download mIRC : http://www.mirc.com/get.html
                        After installing mIRC, launch it
                        Close the window with the author's picture.

Now, you're in the options window.
                        - Fill the fields.
                        - Don't check "invisible mode".
                        - I strongly advise you don't give your true name here, nor your true adress. Be aware your nickname might already be taken on the whole network, so you should prepare a secondary nickname (as prompted by the program). For example, my secondary nickname is "-Spiffor-"

Ok, now that you filled the forms, it's not finished yet.
                        - Click on the selection arrow under, to select among DALnet servers
                        - Select "Random (US or EU or whatever) DALNET server" ("IRCnet: US, NY, New York")

- Now, you can click "connect", and you'll be connected to the network ! Note : don't click OK in the options window. If you did, press the lightning icon in the upper left of the screen to connect.

- Then, the program prompts you to enter something, in the "mIRC channel folder". Click "add". Channel is "#Civ3dem", and click ok.

I know this might sound complicated, but you have only to do this once, to get much more comfort when chatting.
                        Last edited by Spiffor; June 20, 2002, 15:42.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

IRC troubleshooting

Yes, I know problems can arise with IRC, but don't forget we're gaining in quality !

Most problems I've seen so far was people being unable to connect the network. To avoid this, the ones who can't connect must look for other servers.

To add a new server, go to the options window (alt + O), and press the "add" button.
                          The choice of the server will vary, depending of the country you're from.

If you're American, I suggest you to do this :
                          - Description : "IRCnet globali"
                          - IRC server : "globali.us.ircnet.net"
                          - Port(s) : "6667"
                          - Group : "IRCnet"

I can't list all the servers for all countries, as there are too many. If you can't connect with the server in the previous post, go check this site. It lists all IRC servers, country-wise.

If you have a problem, please comment
                          Last edited by Spiffor; June 18, 2002, 17:57.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't know if I can make it.

Comment

I'll try to come this time. I'm going on a trip (play on words ) starting later that day though.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X