Another naming thread : something else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another naming thread : something else

I know, I know that there are already 2 active threads about naming cities. I won't bother you with it in a third thread

My concern here is the name of geographic areas... Currently, we can name 3 geographic things (or maybe even 4) :
    - the jungle
    - the sea
    - Rivers (there are plenty)
    - Our grassy homeland
    - the mountain range south of France
    - France's grassy homeland.
    - America's grassy homeland
    - A lake isolated in mountains, south of France
    - A big range of hills

The jungle is currently called "Notylopia Jungle", as it was suggested and accepted during the turnchat. I've seen only one opponent to this name so far.
    But other names are not given ! What should we do ?
    Should we let it be so ? Should we let a specific player name a geographic area (like we're doing for cities) ? Should we think of good names together ? Should we elect a "cartographer" of some sort whose job would be to draw fine maps with names ?

Whatever, I created this thread to have a creative activity (esp. since I'm not a creative myself ). Do you have any name ideas ?

EDIT : current ideas so far

Rivers :
    - Gaïa River (Spiffor)
    - Notylopa River (Trevman)

Sea :
    - Sky Ocean (Spiffor)
    - the Great Sea of Apolytonia (Panag)
    - Apolytonian Bay (Vlad Antlerkov)
    - Arcadian Ocean (Vlad Antlerkov)

Our homeland :
    - Apolytonian Plains (Trip)
    - Apolytonian Lowlands (Vlad Antlerkov)

French homeland :
    - la Plaine de Guerre (skywalker)
    - la Plaine de Mort (Mr WIA)
    - la Plaine de Vert (Vlad Antlerkov)

Montains :
    - the Iron Hills (OPD)
    - Apolytonian mountain range (Panag)
    - The Pink Mountains (Andreiguy)
    - Mountains of Joan (Andreiguy)
    - Victory Mountains (Andreiguy)
    - Banana Big Hills (Andreiguy)
    - The Western Divide (Trip)
    - The Far Reaches (Trip)
    - The Great Rift (Spiffor)
    - Ironhlm Mountains (Vlad Antlerkov)
    - Great Barrier Mountains (Purple)
    - Iroquois Range (Panag)
    - Iroquois Alps (Panag)
    - Mountains of Valhalla (skywalker)
    Last edited by Spiffor; July 1, 2002, 19:23.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Sounds good to me. It's best to do it now.

We could use this thread to come up with names for things. You can just throw out a name, and use it when it seems appropriate.

Comment

I feel the best names that are brought up during the turnchat should be used. As others have said so many times, no need to add another layer to the bureaucracy. Besides, it'll be fun to have people bouncing ideas off of each other unofficially in there until one gets popular.

Comment

Originally posted by kring
        Sounds good to me. It's best to do it now.

We could use this thread to come up with names for things. You can just throw out a name, and use it when it seems appropriate.
        I think we should nominate a cartographer to put names on the discovered map. But names should only be given when it is really necessary, and then we should have a vote to determine the name.
        Nym
        "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

This thread is not official. But I hope it'll help those who can't come in the Turnchat.
          Well, I have only one idea : I'd name the river "Gaïa River", as it's in the middle of the jungle, hence the whole god of earth / nature thing (btw, Gaïa is the name of z friend's newborn baby )

Edit : I just came to an idea for the sea : what about "Sky Ocean", as it feels limitless to our limited geographic knowledge, and the fact that the colour of the ocean and the sky are the same... (Well, I'm playing Skies of Arcadia these times too )
          Last edited by Spiffor; June 18, 2002, 12:11.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

i was thinking about a cartographer position. i would love to take the post. does anyone like my idea of naming regions and such for people, as well as cities?

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
              i was thinking about a cartographer position. i would love to take the post. does anyone like my idea of naming regions and such for people, as well as cities?
              I'm sure anyone would like that job though. And it might be a little unfair to let one person name everything. Besides, anyone can do the job as good as another.

Comment

a cartographer would do what ministers do (or should do): make polls to see what to do.

Comment

Why can't anyone just post a poll though?

"What should our next city name be?
                  Tripville
                  Trippon
                  Trippus"

Comment

but a cartographer would make maps naming regions, mountains, oceans, jungles, islands, continents, etc. they would not just name them or make polls to name them.

Comment

*Shakes his head*
                      I still think it ought to be a more spontaneous kind of thing. All of the suddent we come across a humongous fertile valley, and name it something like "The Valley of Plenty" or something like that. Names take the character of the region they're describing, you can't just stamp a name on something and really expect it to have as much meaning as something that's made then and there.

Comment

Continents and islands need names.

If there is ever a major nuclear war with global warming, I want dibs on naming the impact
                        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Come on people, I made this thread to be a think tank for names, not a doubling of the other "province naming" thread : http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=53163

Comment

hi ,

, we could ask people to post idea's , and chose the best ones for them , we could even vote on how , that is in what order to use the name's , ...

, for the moment we have a sea , or an ocean , back in the old days , everything was a sea , ...
                            maybe it should be named "the great sea of apolynitea" , ....

like in the old days of the real world , we dont know what lay's behind the sea , ... , those monsters eat our ship's , ...

the jungle , ....

hey , wait a minute , can we put places names on the screen shots , and like someone makes a map , with here and there a window , where the names could be put in , ...

if we find a lake , we can give it a temp name , the same for a mountain name , ones we know the surroundings , we could give it a permanent name , ...

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                              , we could ask people to post idea's , and chose the best ones for them , we could even vote on how , that is in what order to use the name's , ...
                              Panag, do you really think it's feasible to put up a poll for every city/geographic location on the map to have a vote for? Even if we don't have to do it seperately, we have to do it enough times to get an idea on each name. That's waaaaay too much work, and I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X