Save File for All?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save File for All?

If you are wondering why this poll has been posted for voting on again, it is because some have question the results of the original. These people continue to assert that the first poll is outdated in light of more recent polls taken. I am sure they will post more of their thoughts here, but out of fairness I will outline their argument:

We have ministers who post pictures and information on all the happenings of our game. We have specialized reporters, whose main job it is to keep people informed and show them what is happening in the game. If we send the save file (via e mail and to members only) then those people may play ahead in the game, and spoil everything about it to us. We must keep the save file to only the elected officials and the reporters, to make sure NO ONE plays ahead.

My thoughts:

If you vote to with hold the save file, you may never get a chance to look at this game in civilization. Just think about that.

Since that save files are sent via e-mail, and to members only, there is very little chance someone is going to try to "spoil" the game for us, we are all civilized . If someone does publically try to "spoil" the game, Markos can track their IP and expose who they are, and they would probably get banned from the forum.

"What about those who play ahead in secret, and dont tell anyone?" Well then, what is the problem? If no one knows they are doing it..........then how is that spoiling it for others, hmm? Technically they are not allowed to do it, but if someone like paneg plays ahead (unlikey anyone will actually do it, but just if) then he can't spoil it for us or tell us he played ahead or els he will get kicked out of the demo game and maybe in trouble with the boards. Will he risk that? Will anyone? We are here to play a game and not cause trouble.

It's interesting to note that other games like this have had open .savs and no one has looked ahead. It is really something that only exists in some paranoid people's head. We are all Civilized here as a I said, we can be trusted .

Someone offers a reporter unit in exchange for our ability to ever view the save file again. I say no thanks, I can have the reporter thing anyway

One last point: Vote yes to the save file, because, someday down the road you might just want to have a look to see where we're at. Even those that run for offices won't be in forever, you just may want to have a look in on our game someday, and it would be a disheartening experience to be told, "Sorry, you are restricted from viewing .sav files". This is your game, this is my game, it's all of ours, and we should all be allowed to get involved if and when we want.
    YES: Yes, Always. We can trust our People
    46.88%
    YES: Yes, but only between terms.
    28.13%
    NO: No, Never. This empire is corrupt and we canno trust anyone.
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Save file for all, not only for members, not only for President, but for everyone...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

So the issue of a reporter is a different poll? I just say this 'cos I support NO to making the save freely available and YES to the reporter. There may be some who say no CONDITIONAL on the reporter existing. If so, post here guys, that way we know about that option.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

go to the link to see why you should vote no. there are people out there who give serious thought to playing ahead, trust the people my arse!

Comment

This thread is pretty corrupt if you ask me... the person who posts it is supposed to lay down what the options are and that's all. Not "you should vote for this".

Comment

No way! If you want the file, you have to be part of the cabinet at some point!
            There will always be people who will play it in advance, and start saying *Kill Civ X, or they will become too powerful* and stuff like that!
            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
              So the issue of a reporter is a different poll? I just say this 'cos I support NO to making the save freely available and YES to the reporter. There may be some who say no CONDITIONAL on the reporter existing. If so, post here guys, that way we know about that option.
              We have a reporter. There will continue to be a reporter, the people liked your idea. The question is: now that we have apointed a reporter, do people feel differently about the issue of should the save file be distributed.

Vote how you feel people.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                This thread is pretty corrupt if you ask me... the person who posts it is supposed to lay down what the options are and that's all. Not "you should vote for this".
                It's not corrupt. I presented both arguments and the reason why this is being repolled. You are free to present your personal arguments also if you like.

Comment

He just meant the phrasing of the "No" option. I don't think that will affect anyone's decision - only intelligent reasoning or mental breakdown can do that.
                  Consul.

Comment

He just meant the phrasing of the "No" option. I don't think that will affect anyone's decision - only intelligent reasoning or mental breakdown can do that.
                    The phrasing of the options are exactly as they were in the first post by UberKrux, nothing has been changed.

Comment

Yes indeedy - but you must agree they are written in a biased form.
                      Consul.

Comment

Yes indeedy - but you must agree they are written in a biased form.
                        I am merely duplicating what was voted on the first time. Such issues as the poll being corrupt and biased were not raised by you or anyone before. So why are you protesting now?

Comment

I'm not going to argue with you, it's not worth it. Besides, I'm sure even you know that saying "these are the options, you should vote for this one" is pretty... *ahem* corrupt.

Comment

I'm not. Trip did and I'm merely trying to explain why I think he did. Confusion does seem to be quite rife here.

I have no problem with this poll - thanks for putting it up.

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry about talking about you in the third person, Mr President - didn't know you were here.
                            Consul.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Trip, sorry if you think it's corrupt, I didn't mean it to be that way although that rarely changes anything. I didn't mean to argue with you, just trying to debate the issue, that's all. Sorry if I came off rude.

Comment

Working...
                              X