Clear All

• Council of Territorial Expansion and Development

CTED Government Headquarters

Official CTED Members:

City Planner Punkbass
    Imperial Expansion Timeline
    Public Works Eli

Current Issues: Starting build orders.

Welcome to CTED headquarters, center of operations for City and Land development. Please keep unnecessary posting to a minimum so that our Ministers will be able to work as efficiently as possible.
    Last edited by Timeline; June 16, 2002, 23:53.

Starting Build Orders

Uberkrux and Trip’s comments are requested on the following issues

Since we understand very little about our surroundings, it will be necessary to explore our immediate area quickly. It is unresolved which level of Barbarian activity we will be facing, but it appears these forces will be at the roaming level. Now, balancing Defense with Exploration, I propose the following:

2 warriors

Uberkrux, if we built 2 warriors, will you champion using one for exploration and one for defense, or would you allow our both our armies to explore our land and find new areas to expand to? By sending one warrior along a river, we are sure to find a spot for a new city state. But, by sending 2 warriors out, each following the river in different directions away from our main city, our second settlement could be a lot better.

After our two warriors I propose:

Settler

Pumping out the rabbits is essential.

If Uberkrux is so kind as to send both warriors exploring then I suggest we train clubmen dedicated to protecting our city and squashing rebellious bananas.

2 more Warriors

Then another Settler

Punkbass, Uberkrux, it’s not my intention to debate here or squabble over every little detail, but my intention is to find out if we are on the same page. Do you agree or disagree with these suggestions? And why?

Thank you,
    Councilman Timeline

Comment

I dissagree.

This proposal puts too much emphasis on defense. Explore with the worker to find a city site*, build one warrior to defend the city and start mass producing settlers.

* - I dont really like this idea, because then i'll be doing nothing for half of my term, but IMO it's better than the one proposed.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

yeah, i agree with eli, we shouldn't make so many warriors, the support costs might start being damaging...at least i've never had 4 of my first 5 units be warriors...

Comment

(note : because of my post, my opinions have not to be taken into account. It is just an advise I'd offer, as if I were a free citizen).

In my perspective, being agressively ICSing is a must. There are simple mathematic ways to reach maximum efficiency in producing bith units and settlers :

1. hypothesis : we have 1 shield producing grassland, and other grasslands.
          We can produce a warrior (5 turns), and a settler (15 turns). the total of 20 turns exactly match the time we need to go to pop 3 in the city.

2. hypothesis : we have several shield producing grasslands :
          We can produce 2 warriors (5+5 turns). When they have ended, the city came to pop 2, and thus produces 3 shields. If we build a settler (10 turns), we'll match the very moment the city goes to pop 3.

I don't know to manage with maximum efficiency when there are no shield producing grasslands in the surroundings though.

Now, IIRC, the second citizen in emperor is born unhappy. I guess we'll need to let a warrior in the city to keep him happy.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
            I dissagree.

This proposal puts too much emphasis on defense. Explore with the worker to find a city site*, build one warrior to defend the city and start mass producing settlers.

* - I dont really like this idea, because then i'll be doing nothing for half of my term, but IMO it's better than the one proposed.
            You need three population points to produce a settler, so the warriors would be built in the interim.
            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000

You need three population points to produce a settler, so the warriors would be built in the interim.
              Sorry. Havent played the game for months.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

i'm going to be out for a bit today (family crap i can't avoid) but i would like all warriors to explore for future enemies / more city spots, so long as the city doesnt grow so fast as to cause unrest.

if we have a slow growing city with a decnt production, i'd like 2 warriors and a spearman for defense.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Excellent thoughts.....EXCELLENT Muhahaha

Yes the Warriors are simply to be built while the city repopulates for another settler.

If uberkrux doesn't mind sending our first two units on exploration, and leaving the city without troops for a while, then I suggest:

2 warriors (explore)
                  the settler
                  2 more warriors (city defense, explore)
                  settler

What I am suggesting is constantly sending out settlers from our main city, and building warriors in between. Then, we use the other cities (like one built next to cows or wheat) to make our workers and some settlers. Once our other cities are making workers/settlers we can build a temple in our main city and let it grow some.

What do ya think punkbass? Try to be as specific as possible.

Uberkrux, thanks for the coments

Looks like this council is working out nicely, now punkbass will have some info on what to build.
                  Last edited by Timeline; June 17, 2002, 14:03.

Comment

My opinions really cannot be stated before knowing what civ we are and what the conditions are, but my personal general startup reflects your proposal and I will likely support it.
                    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I didn't see mention of the starting position, as reflected in the game map Trip posted. Starting at the tip of this peninsula gives some defense advantage, so we don't have to worry about a garrison right away.

I very strongly support an explorationist policy. The sooner we find the other civs and desirable resources, the sooner we can plan the main thrust of our expansion. Even so, we can't neglect workers, who should concentrate on roading, to speed our exploring units to the frontier.

So: warriors until pop 3 is reached, then settler, then warrior, worker. Repeat. When temples become available, build one.

Comment

We can build temple right from the start because we are religious. (Egypt) So the temple might come after the first or second settler. But let the city planner decide that.
                        Alea iacta est!

Comment

We should set all of our warriors to exploring, even if we don't build as many. We don't need to fear an attack from the sea, so any units coming to attack us we come from the dread North, beyond the Banana Jungle. Our brave warriors will be exploring this evil land, so none of it's belligerent inhabitants will be able to attack us.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquinius
                            We can build temple right from the start because we are religious. (Egypt) So the temple might come after the first or second settler. But let the city planner decide that.

Yeah, the expansion-ministery should also think about cultural expansion... (at some stage)
                            My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Cultural expansion is necessary, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X