Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAME the EMPIRE

As popularly requested...

Here are the top contenders plus Dominion.

This is not a poll (because I screwed up), just gathering more options.
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Well, i would like Apolyton Dominion and would vote for it in a poll.

Comment

I don't think we should make a new poll to include Apolyton Dominion :
      - Only 5-6 people have shown concern for this name, so it has no hope to win.
      - Making a new name poll will delay the starting of the game further.
      - Many people who have voted in the early name poll will probably not be aware there is a new one, and won't bother visiting. That would be antidemocratic.

Note : the likely winner of the name poll is what I wish, so supporting the creation of a new poll would serve my interests. But it's just bad for true democracy.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

We already had a poll on this. You can't have another one.

Comment

I would liek to point out that the last poll was extremely UNdemocratic, because the names put up were invented by the person writing the poll and were NOT the result of citizen input. That's an absurd way to vote on anything and we need to re-vote to restore the faith of our people in our democratic traditions.

Ideas for names should be collected before a poll is formed; that's plain to see.
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I would like to add, skywalker, that the second provision of the pollting standards thread recommends:

2. Polls should have a separate discussion thread before the poll itself is posted (where appropriate), to allow discussion of the topic and to get an idea of the various necessary poll options.
            So, the naming poll was illegitimate and must be re-done after more brainstorming.
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I don't mind having a loooooong Civ3Demo, but I would mind not starting in the next year. We can quibble on pretty anything, and quibbling is boring.
              Although the name poll wasn't legitimate, a huge majority of voters recognized themselves in the suggested names. Only a few expressed concern that their name (Dominion of Apolyton) wasn't in.

I don't want to delay the game one week more, just because 5-6 people want to see their name is not widely accepted. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Sorry, Cyclotron and Captain, but I won't follow you at all on this one
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Don't exaggerate, Spiffor. It won't take us a year to re-vote. In addition, the game doesn't have to be delayed because we don't have a name yet. I say we give democracy a chance and actually talk about names before voting on them.

Could you explain to me why this will delay the game... at all?

Comment

Most polls expire saturnday or sooner. The game is likely to start saturnday, with the minister of finance coming 2 days later or so (since he won't have anything to do the first days).
                  But, contrary to the minister of finance, we need to know our name right from the beginning. It means setting up a poll which will last 3 days !
                  Many people will probably not vote in it... So I think it's less demoratic in the result, even if the motivation is democratic.

I talked about "delaying a year" because such discussions can arise for anything already decided or soonly decided. If this quibbling is successful and creates other quibbling, the game won't start in an astronomical time.

Comment

I'm in favor of going with Republic of Apolytonia.

As has been stated, only a handful of people are in favor of Dominion of Apolyton. If it had been included in the original poll, I don't think the results would have been changed much.

On the other hand... maybe we could change the name along with the government? i.e. start off as Dominion of Apolyton(ia) under Despotism, then maybe switch to Republic of Apolyton(ia) when we switch to Republic.

Or something like that.
                    oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

I vote for Dominion of Apolyton!!
                      "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        Most polls expire saturnday or sooner. The game is likely to start saturnday, with the minister of finance coming 2 days later or so (since he won't have anything to do the first days). But, contrary to the minister of finance, we need to know our name right from the beginning. It means setting up a poll which will last 3 days ! Many people will probably not vote in it... So I think it's less demoratic in the result, even if the motivation is democratic.
                        I don't think we need to know the game right from the beginning... just use a placeholder name, and change it when we are decided. It isn't crucial, so there is no reason not to do it right.

I talked about "delaying a year" because such discussions can arise for anything already decided or soonly decided. If this quibbling is successful and creates other quibbling, the game won't start in an astronomical time.
                        It seems strange to categorically deny a fair discussion and vote because of future "quibbling" it might cause. I'm not here to ask for future quibbling... I would like my cause to be judged on the merits of the cause, not on the predictions you make about it.

Comment

Why is no one suggesting:

"The Banana Republic of Apolyton"

its the OBVIOUS choice.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

The country can changes it's name. I think we should start with the name which is decided by the last poll which wasn't purely undemocratic there was a thread concerning names before the poll went up. If we decide via a new poll to change the name then the name will be changed.
                            Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                              Why is no one suggesting:

"The Banana Republic of Apolyton"

its the OBVIOUS choice.

And what if Trip loses his election to The Banana? Or anyone else loses to him/her/it?
                              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Working...
                              X