Naming new cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming new cities

Do we have a procedure or policy for naming newly founded cities or renaming captured cities?

If not, here's a suggestion: let each member offer one name. This will create a pool from which a city name will be selected, perhaps randomly, when needed.

We also need Great Leader names.

I hereby apply for the post of Minister of Nomenclature.

Personally, I favor retaining a captured city's name. However, I can see where renaming might be a Good Thing, for example to honor a prominent person or significant event.

Names should not include the word "New."

We should keep in mind that shorter names obscure less of the map.

For convenience, names should be pronounceable.

Comment

Perhaps naming rights could go down the CoC (as soon as the CoC is decided). For example, the first city would be named by the prez, second by the vice prez, whoever's next (military?).
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I agree with punkie. If someone from the citizenry comes up with a good name, just give it to one of the members of the Senate, and then we can run down a list or something. Not that it really matters anyways.

Comment

We should name them after active members, though not in the order that they signed up. If we decide to name it after someone, though, they can choose to name it themselves instead of just using their name (everyone with me? that was a little odd).

Comment

I think it's a good idea, but 2 problems arise :
            In what order should we give ppl the right to name a city ?
            Whhat if our number of cities exceeds the number of people ?
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
              Whhat if our number of cities exceeds the number of people ?
              The go from the end to the beginning again.
              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

We should name them only after active members, and then we go through again, but then they have to choose a name that's not their own.

Comment

I'd rather say they chosse the name, whatever it is (say, Uber will cal his city "UberKrux", I'll call my city "Production" for example). The only restriction we should give to players is not to offend someone when namin the city (say, "Togas sucks" or something )
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

I like Purple's suggestions.

I also favour the practice of declaring a 'hometown' and if ministers mess up my hometown, then that's a blackmark against them when the next elections come up. It's completely arbitrary since I don't really have any stake in the digital town, but it'll give me more reasons to vote for/against people when their playing strategies are indistinguishable.

Names I popularly use are:

Citadel (capital)
                    Verdant (fertile city)
                    Bastion (military stronghold city)
                    Omnicron (high production city)
                    Venture (city with potential, but risks being captured)
                    Resurrection (city I rebuilt over ruins)
                    Morass (city I placed stupidly)

Just my 0.02$
                    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Whats wrong with offending people

I like the idea of cycling the naming right through the counsel (cabinet). Of course there is a poll on this.
                      Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Let the citizens come up with names, have the president select the 5 best and poll on it

Comment

I too, like the suggestion of cycling down through the cabinet members and letting each one name a city. Citizens can give a name to any cabinet member, and if the official chooses to ignore it, then he/she will naturally lose popularity. And also, this idea let’s everyone have some fun, instead of just one group or one person.

Comment

Every member should name one city.

Comment

I think Timeline has a good idea. It's easier cycling through cabinet members than the whole population (which would be very frustrating for the 85th member or so)...
                              Influencing the cabinet members is a good idea, as every active citizen can have some creativity fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X