Minister of Imperial Expansion Campaign Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minister of Imperial Expansion Campaign Thread

Well, the other nominees have posted campaign threads for debates and discussion, so what the hey .

Current competitors:

atawa
    Chandragupta
    myself

Feel free to address questions to the participants here.

Good luck to my opponents!

Why you should vote for me:

I feel I would be ideal for this position as I am an avid Civ 3 player and take great pride in my city placement ability .

I value proper city placement for long-term expansion, but do not follow this line of thinking as rigidly as some do. I understand the importance of balancing short term needs with long term benfits.

Vote for Timeline, and put our nation in line for building cities that stand the test of time .

Comment

What is more important, expanding to get lots of land or expanding to get land and resources but trying to keep all the land up-to-date in public works?

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
        What is more important, expanding to get lots of land or expanding to get land and resources but trying to keep all the land up-to-date in public works?
        The second one for sure, infrastructure is very important, not only for trade but also to speed up our army's in case of war.

Resources are much more important in early game, better to take some city's from AI then get ourselves overextended.

Comment

Oh and btw, vote for me

Comment

Question:

Do you favor close (fair amount of overlap) or evenly spaced (minimal city rad overlap) city building?
            "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Well, I view REX as vital if we seriously want to become a dominant civ. Grabbing ideal close-to-home land and gaining early control of strategic and 2-3 luxury resources is what we're after.

As we expand, these would be my priorities:

Keeping every worked tile mined/irrigated and roaded - this would be a must so we can grow our cities and get a good commerce income to boost science

Expansion, grabbing land and securing vital resources - This would continue until we connect with our neighboring civ. REX is Important so the other civs dont box us in. By REXing we will leave open possibilities for peace or war, and will give our leaders more flexibility to do as we see fit.

Road Connection. Yes keeping cities connected by roads is important, it increases happiness (by allowing luxuries to be shared) and slightly reduces corruption. I however am not the type to wait while workers build a road to a future city site and THEN send out a settler (I have heard of some doing this). I value rapid early expansion over keeping cities connected.

If a city is projected to grow and need a luxury resource soon then I pledge to work cooperatively with the Public works minister and ensure the road is completed in time and if not possible then achieve efficiency by taking other means.

My plan is to expand rapidly FIRST and connect cities with roads as needed after.

I hope this answers your question, sorry I didn't see it earlier.

Comment

All depends on land, the better the land, the closer together.

One other factor is the distance of enemy civ's.

Comment

Do you favor close (fair amount of overlap) or evenly spaced (minimal city rad overlap) city building?
                  I favor pretty evenly spaced lapping for the first 3 - 4 core cities UNLESS it is at the expense of wasted tiles. Overlapping 2 or 3 tiles on a core city is acceptable but things really do depend on the terrain.

I do not object to moderate overlaping for non-core cities.

I favor a fair amount of overlapping when in hostile terrain.

My plans are for ultimate long term efficiency.
                  Last edited by Timeline; June 11, 2002, 22:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Timeline

Well, I view REX as vital if we seriously want to become a dominant civ. Grabbing ideal close-to-home land and gaining early control of strategic and 2-3 luxury resources is what we're after.

As we expand, these would be my priorities:

Keeping every worked tile mined/irrigated and roaded - this would be a must so we can grow our cities and get a good commerce income to boost science

Expansion, grabbing land and securing vital resources - This would continue until we connect with our neighboring civ. REX is Important so the other civs dont box us in. By REXing we will leave open possibilities for peace or war, and will give our leaders more flexibility to do as we see fit.

Road Connection. Yes keeping cities connected by roads is important, it increases happiness (by allowing luxuries to be shared) and slightly reduces corruption. I however am not the type to wait while workers build a road to a future city site and THEN send out a settler (I have heard of some doing this). I value rapid early expansion over keeping cities connected.

My plan is to expand rapidly FIRST and connect cities with roads as needed after.

I hope this answers your question, sorry I didn't see it earlier.
                    I would say send out exploreres asap, find the best specials and expand in that direction, after 5 city's or so start on a main highway wotch connects our city's.

Resources are only usefull if we connect to them by road, once we have a road from our core to the main resources we need we start filling in the gaps and mining/irigating.

But all that has to go in good cooperation with the City Planner and Public Works Minister

Comment

Some questions to our 2 candidates :
                      - how long will you work with the only first worker ? At what time will other workers become a top priority, before other ministers' demands ?
                      - On what do you emphasize, mining or irrigating ?
                      - Do you have a problem minig grassland ?
                      - Do you have a problem bringing fresh water from beyond foreign borders (thus helping the foreign country) ?
                      thanks in advance
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Some questions to our 2 candidates :
                        - how long will you work with the only first worker ? At what time will other workers become a top priority, before other ministers' demands ?
                        - On what do you emphasize, mining or irrigating ?
                        - Do you have a problem minig grassland ?
                        Most of these questions are covered in the areas of the City Planner Minister (who suggests what to build in cities) and the Public Works Minister (Who controls workers).

The City Planner campaign thread is located here .

Very good questions though and thanks for your interest!

Comment

well, there will actually probably be a new minister of public works to handle the workers...

Comment

Might as well, the IE and CP will have conflicting interests for most of the game.

Comment

Hello people,

I'm running for the Minister of Imperial Expansion position.

Why should you vote for me?
                              • I'm an experienced Civ3 player, and I know what I'm doing when it comes to building new cities.
                              • I plan for maximum efficency, and try to leave no square unused and with little overlap.
                              • However, I'm not totally strict when it comes to the above rule, and will break it if it leads to much more productive cities (e.g., breaking the rule so a city isn't in the middle of a jungle)
                              • I'm friendly (usually), I listen to peoples idea, and I will help our empire thrive!

And here's answers to some of the questions you have asked:
                              • Expanding to get land and resources but trying to keep all the land up-to-date in public works is probably more important than expanding to get lots of land, but both are very important in the long run.
                              • I strive for minimum city overlap, except in special situations, such as building cities close to our enemies. I espically go for minimum city overlap in the early game, so we can get more land than if we overlapped.

Remember, vote for Jonny, the best choice for the well-being of our Empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X