City Council: City Placement/Spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
    C is supposed to be on the shore, kinda unclear on that map, sorry, I need some graphical help. This is lower on my priority list as a city.
    Try ctrl-g next time (I realize it's not your map)

GF: If that happens, just means we'll be more prepared and faster into war. But I have found that instead of building 1 complete ring, building out to the second ring in 1 direction inwardly out creates the disired effect of holding off the AIs REXing while not wasting our turns moving settlers over unroaded terrain.

I like unorthodox's scheme except I'm unsure exactly about his B idea. I might build B before A because B is in the direction of our only known enemy.

But your current scheme for B is also out of range for the one turn reinforcements. From the capital it doesn't matter, but even once C is built it will take 2 turns from C to reinforce, so I would consider pulling it closer to the capitol, but oh those lovely cows! If we build A2, then B1 would be 1 turn reinforcable from A. If we knew what the unexplored land contained over there (maybe more COWS! ), we'd have a better idea where to build B.

D1 and E1 look good. E is tough, cause you'd like to be on the coast, but E2 misses 2 bonus grasslands (granted one is shared with the capitol) and E2 would make irrigating the plains on the other side a very long task!

I like GK's F, but we're getting too far ahead and don't know the map yet or our enemy placements.

If you can't tell, I love to keep cities 1-turn reinforceable with at least one sister city and hopefully 2.
    Last edited by badams52; April 30, 2003, 22:53.
    badams

Comment

I like the general layout you have, UnOrthOdOx, but I feel a little differently about exact locations and what order to place them. This is just to get some more comments. (I think I mis-labeled D2, it should be D1, as it is on your map)

I left the colors and the letter's you assigned to the spots the same for my map, so as to help anyone when compairing the two.

I would like to settle them in this order:

1. D2
      2. A2
      3. B
      4. E2
      5. C

Last edited by BigFree; May 1, 2003, 04:53.

Comment

A good point, GF, but things depend on what our strategy will be. I expect we are going to attack the Ottomans ASAP, in which case we must not worry about their growth and only on making cities close to Asgard with decent production. When we ARcher or Sword rush them we won't be worrying about their city placement or where they have built cities - except on where to reloacte them to.

However, if for some reason we are NOT going to attack them straight off then we need to consider expanding further to begin with to carve out more land. Frankly I expect (and hope) we go the militaristic way with them - take their well-placed cities with troops born in our cramped quarters! That lack of space will make our soldiers all the more vicious in battle.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

This is the joy of deity. We/I have to think a bit differently. I am thinking back to all the strategy threads I have read (velocyrix et al). I don't usually play on Deity, so my first instinct was to expand towards the Ottomans. But I agree with MWIA, and that what we need is a very effective, tight core of cities to pump out archers and/or swordsmen. I think A (as suggested by UnOrtho), or D (as per BigFree) would be the way to go.

So A2/3 or D2 or vice versa. Probably A first.

I first believed that east of us is a point of land - then again - we have been warned that this is not a typical map.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

I was justr thinking of posting my own cityplan when I saw yours, Bigfree, exactly the same as what I was about to propose. I am but thinking of founding them in another order:

1 B
            2 D2 (UnOrthO's D1)
            3 A2
            4 C
            5 E2

I also want make a suggestion about the placing of city F: NW NW NW NW of city A2, just to the N-NE of the lake.

Aidun
            "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
            Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

Shouldn't we make a priority of getting the cattle, and depriving the Ottomans of it? (site B)

Comment

Originally posted by dejon
                Shouldn't we make a priority of getting the cattle, and depriving the Ottomans of it? (site B)
                That is just what I am suggesting

Aidun
                "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
                Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

hi ,

, c should be one up two to the left , so that we can have all those hill's , .....

sorry , no photoshop tools on this terminal

Aro , where are you , ....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

With the this plan, here is what our Archer Rush city placement should look like:

Asgard
                    Food: 7 (six eaten, 1 surplus)
                    Shield: 7 (Archer in three turns with 1 lost shield)
                    Commerce: 6
                    1 Warrior Garrisoned for Defense/Happiness

Yellow
                    Food: 6 (Six eaten, 0 surplus)
                    Commerce: 5

Blue
                    Shield: 6 (Archer in four turns with 4 lost shields; this is as it is pictured, if there is a bonus grass, then this site is optimal)

Green
                    Food: 6 (Six eaten, O surplus)

Red
                    Shield: 6 (Archer in four turns with 4 lost shields)

Now I know that we won't be able to build all 4 cities before the rush, so the cities are listed in the order that I think would be best (Yellow, Blue, Green, Red). Blue is only #2 on my list IF we find that much needed bonus grassland under the Fog.

All minimum tile improvements are listed in blue (to include the beginings of an Archer Road towards the Ottomans).

I am not sure what corruption factors may play out, but it could change the entire outlook... I will check and post here.

[edit]
                    Crap! The 7th shield produced is corrupted! This changes everything!!!

* Donegeal thinks he should have done the research BEFORE he posted...

[edit part II]
                    After further testing, a one tile spacing gives no corruption. The Archers could be completed VERY quickly and the closer city placements means that they would be built quicker (and thusly be more productive sooner).

I would post an image of what I think would be the best one-tile placement but I need to go to sleep. Maybe when I get up...

PS- for all those that completely cringe at the thought of one tile placement, just remember that after we give ourselves some breathing room, we can rearrange our core for more optimal placement. We won't be needing any improvements in these cities (except maybe 20 shield barracks) so they won't be too detrimental to move.
                    Last edited by Donegeal; May 1, 2003, 12:14.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

A big for the city placement plan.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ok, I did some more work on city placement last night at work. The one I posted earlier would be best if we went with a Sword campaign. With the corruption of 1 shield, it would mean that each city would produce a Swordman in 5 turns and Red would build a Spear in 4.

I worked out a DM plan (city-placement and PW) for an optimal Archer Campaign, but be forewarned, it is a one tile placement arrangement and looks crowded. At this difficulty level, keeping our people happy is going to be difficult. This plan will maintain these initial cities as size 3 with one garrisoned unit for defense and happiness.

City build priorities:
                        1) Blue (if there is a bonus grassland under the fog)
                        2) Yellow
                        3) Green
                        4) Red
                        5) Blue (if there is NOT a bonus grassland under the fog)
                        Attached Files
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Please note that every tile improvement is worked save 1 road and that every forested river save one is also worked. In this placement, out of all the cities, we loose no shields or commerce to corruption. It requires the least amount of time for tile improvements and makes river crossing almost negligable as a movement obstacle (ok, movement towards the Ottomans. This plan will also allow us to use just one spearman to defend all the cities if need be (we would have to raise the Lux slider for this).

Asgard:
                          7 Shields (Archer/Spearman in 3 turns)
                          6 Commerce

Yellow, Green, Blue:
                          7 Shields (Archer/Spearman in 3 turns)
                          5 Commerce

Red:
                          5 Shields (Archer/Spearman in 4 turns)
                          5 Commerce
                          Last edited by Donegeal; May 2, 2003, 09:25.

Comment

Lets move yellow one south and that can become a perminant city. A little more corruption, but it saves us lots of work later on.
                            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                            X