Greek civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek civ

Does any one know what govt the greeks prefer and hate. I look in the manual and it doesn't say. However the PTW manual says what the mongols like and dislike. Is there a website that has this info for all civs?

I wouldn't know, but I believe the Greeks liked democracy in civilisation (a rather questionable thing to say that the GREEKS liked it (Athens liked it that's true))

Comment

Greece likes Democracy and despises Despotism.

*cough*cough* When Greece gain its independance it made one of the most democratic constitutions of that time. Too bad we got kings and tyrants later on
      " They will fight and die till the last warrior"
      -Dimaratos to Xerxes, a few days before the battle in Thermopylae...

Comment

You mean the independance from the Ottomans?
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I think the Greek's love for democracy is ment to represent the Athenian democracy. This was of course not representative for the entire Greek area. I don't think the Greek civilisation is ment to represent modern Greece at all.

Comment

Well, obviously there should be a government "city state"

but i think most of the greek cities (Athens, Thebe, and several more) had more or less democratic governments for a (long) while

Comment

great

Does anybody know a site that has all of the civs preffered gov'ts. I mean some are obvious, like the yanks, they must like communism Anyways, thanks for you help

jer

Comment

Originally posted by Homunculus
                Well, obviously there should be a government "city state"

but i think most of the greek cities (Athens, Thebe, and several more) had more or less democratic governments for a (long) while
                City state would not reflect any thing it would just mean that each city controls its own area. The way they did this differed very much.

Most of the poleis had a oligarchic government where the aristocrats had the most power and the farmers who were rich enough to afford hoplite equipment could have a say. Sparta was a weird one: hoplites were relatively equal and had all the power, but the groop which was hoplite was much smaller than in other city states and more oppresive towards the rest of the population (and remarkebly tolerant to women and homoseksuality.)
                Athens was the most democratic by means that poor peasants could also speak and vote in the ekklesia and their vote was as much worth as the vote of a rich aristocrat. By my information Thebe did not gave citizen rights to poor landless peasants.

Comment

Originally posted by Beren
                  I think the Greek's love for democracy is ment to represent the Athenian democracy. This was of course not representative for the entire Greek area. I don't think the Greek civilisation is ment to represent modern Greece at all.
                  But since modern Greece descents from ancient Greece... !

So long...
                  Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                  Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                  Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Syrracouse, as all Sicilian cities, had a "tyranic"(Tyrant meaning a single despot) goverment for throughout its history, untill captured by the Romans during the Second Punic War.

It was not a question of what they loved or hated, but what worked better.

Metaxas's goverment (1935-1941) was no democracy but worked perfectly and no-one had a problem with it(apart commies, that is).
                    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

I really think Greeks should have another leader.....like Eleftherio Venizelo. In addition they should have the Religious and Commercial traits. Favourite Democracy, desping Despotism. that would certainly reflect our modern age Civ, wouldn't it?
                      " They will fight and die till the last warrior"
                      -Dimaratos to Xerxes, a few days before the battle in Thermopylae...

Comment

Well Venizelos is not a well known leader outside a Greece. He may have been a great leader but the I feel fine with the fact that they have choosen Alexander as our leader. As for despising Despotism, this doesn't only us modern Greeks but also partly our forefathers.

So long...
                        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos
                          Syrracouse, as all Sicilian cities, had a "tyranic"(Tyrant meaning a single despot) goverment for throughout its history, untill captured by the Romans during the Second Punic War.
                          I think you mean the First Punic War, you know the war in which Rome afterwards gained Sicilia, Sardinia and (if I'm correct, not sure about the third) Corsica. The Second Punic War was the war in which Hanibal had a long staff resort holiday in Italy and they eventually won by capturing its Spanish possesions and winning a battle near Carthage (Scipio Africanus). Roman gain was then the Spanish provinces.
                          Just the complete: in the Third Punic War they managed to capture and sack Carthage, burn it to the ground and putting chemicals in the ground so that the city could never return to prominence (It didn't work, afterwards Caesar founded a colony there named Carthage) The Greeks among you should remember that year, 146 BCE, because it was also the year they did the same thing to Corinth.

Comment

No i mean the second Punic War. Syrracouse allied itself with the Carthaginians after the death of the pro-Roman tyrant Hierro.

Lucullus was dispatched with a besieging force and orders to retake the city at all costs.

Unfortunately for the Romans, the great mathematician Archimedes resided there at the time, and aided in the city's defence.
                            Time after time the Roman assaults were met by huge grapplers? that lifted their ships in the air, as they forced their way into the harbour, and crushed them, by laser towers that fired a concetrated sun ray and set afire their machines, and many other infamous devices.

After nearly two years of a hard fought siege, during a religious festival the Greeks were caught off their guard and the legionaires stormed the city. The Senate's orders were that Archimedes is to be captured alive.

Amidst the chaos and destruction that followed every ancient sack, a legionaire found a sole old man lost in his thoughts and drawing some cycles in the sand. As he raised his gladius to slay him, the old man said in terror:" Do not disturb my cycles!!"

The uncomprehending Roman cut him down, disobeying the Senate's order's.

That was the end of Sicilian freedom.
                            "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                            Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Palaiologos

Amidst the chaos and destruction that followed every ancient sack, a legionaire found a sole old man lost in his thoughts and drawing some cycles in the sand. As he raised his gladius to slay him, the old man said in terror:" Do not disturb my cycles!!"

The uncomprehending Roman cut him down, disobeying the Senate's order's.

That was the end of Sicilian freedom.
                              see he should have used babelfish!

and i think the siege took 5 years (not sure, just what i thought, too lazy to look it up)

Comment

Working...
                              X