The " Friendly neighbour next door" civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The " Friendly neighbour next door" civ

Now we often b!tch and moan about some civilizations: "Queen Lizzy is a *****", " Bismark is an *******" , etc. Do you have any experiences in which the civs you were facing were nice , and what civs were they?

For me, the Greeks are the friendliest civ. Having rather lame specialties ( Commercial , Scientific) , and an ancient defensive UU , They almost never tried to get tribute from me , and I don't think I remember a time in which they were the ones to initiate hostilities.

What do you think?
    urgh.NSFW

Of all the civs, I'd say that there is no friendliest. I usually play as a warmonger. Later on when I've got communications with everyone, they're all annoyed and are likely to demand tribute (my refusal causing them to trigger a world war). If I play as a builder, I nearly always get sneak attacked, regardless of whether it is a low aggression civ like France or India; a mid-level aggression civ like America or Greece; or a high aggression civ like Zululand or Germany.

If I'm going too well, they'll always be hating me, unless I've signed them into a military alliance or traded luxuries to them. If they are going poorly when compared to me, they will sometimes gamble on a seemingly suicidal sneak attack. If they are going too well compared to me, they'll get very demanding.

I don't believe a single civ to be more hateable than any other, regardless of aggression level. Its mostly their situation that drives them to do things that make me hate them for the rest of the game. I've even had situations where Bismarck and Shaka are my most loyal allies regardless of the fact that they are the most aggressive civs in the game, and France being conniving scumbags despite their apparent passive attitude.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I agree, Alexander always seems to like me......... Course, there is that rumor about.........

Comment

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Ive always found Lizzie to be a decent neighbour, good for trading and later on a half decent Ally, to top it off, when you want to invade her its usualy not all that hard.
          TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE ATTACK!

Comment

Here's a bit of a story that gives something to think about in terms of loyalties.

I just finished a game (Standard map, Regent difficulty) as the Incan civ I added to my game (Space Race victory). Though I attacked the Americans (to the south of me) early, and took four of their critical cities (including Washington), they were eventually polite and became very loyal allies.

The English (to the north) of me were also somewhat loyal in the earlier stages, even though I had REXed my way to boxing them into a small peninsula.

Greece and India shared a large island off the largest continent, occupied by Egypt in the north, Japan in the middle and Rome in the south. They were all polite.

I had peacefully powered through the middle ages as a monarchy, then republic (after core cities had markets and cathedrals and then democracy (since the Incas are religious in my mod, this was no problem at all). I had reached the Industrial age long before even Egypt, the most advanced rival in the game. My huge military was constantly growing, since I could afford it (having Smith's Trading Co. helps greatly). I was the largest, most advanced, wealthiest and most powerful civ in the game.

Then the political stability of the world as it was known, crumbled to dust. Greece sent a single warrior out of the useless jungle settlements they had established on my continent and foolishly sneak attacked me. They lost the battle to my superior Infantry units, and my retaliation was swift and decisive, having taken all of their jungle settlements on my continent. Then the true colours of the English began to show, as they willingly joined Greece against me. I then signed the rest of the world into a war against Greece (including America, who had since become gracious with me).

Gandhi, being the sneaky little scumbag he is in this game, signed an alliance against me with England (despite being allied with me against Greece). Once all of my alliances expired (and I had taken much of England's core cities), I sued for peace with all three of them (India returning to polite almost right away). I continued through the rest of the Industrial age in peace, while the rest of the world was warring. Greece's power began to decline as I entered the modern age.

I had amassed a large fleet of warships, and a large landing force comprised of two transports of Infantry, two transports of tanks and three transports of Marines. After redeclaring war on Greece, I forced a landing and wiped them out within 6-8 turns (India had greatly weakened them earlier).

Now try and convince me that Alexander and Elizabeth are always good neighbours.
            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Fighter
              Ive always found Lizzie to be a decent neighbour, good for trading and later on a half decent Ally, to top it off, when you want to invade her its usualy not all that hard.
              It seems to me that who is freindly depends a lot on playingstyle. Somehow I can't stay freindly with Lizzie for a longer period. She always ends up trying to hit me (rarely anything but hot air, though). I am mostly one of her neighbours so perhaps she just feels the need for land.

Comment

I find it hard to be friendly with amost anyone. The AI is constantly trying to build settlements on my mainland, And NOTHING ticks me off more thant that. In my latest game as Romans , Monarch , Medium Continents, Large map, Wet, temperate, After I've clashed with both the Zulus and the Babs that were both better than me in technology, and defeating them ( Legionary!!!! ) , a weakling german civ has established a city in my southern tundrah. I don't need it the least, but I feel this urge to kick their asses. The babs , and the Zulus are still strong, and if I attack the germans they'll almost certainly join. What do I do? I dunno, really.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

the romans
                  CSPA

Comment

The Romans? The ' Legions Legions everywhere ' Romans?! They're one of the worst , for me.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

they're usually a peaceful and weak civ in my games
                      CSPA

Comment

well, they're that way in most of my games, that or FAAR away. but when they're averagely strong they're a pain of the ancient age. When I play as Romans, I am not ashamed of building their UU even in middle middle ages.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

The French (surprisingly) are usually ok.
                          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The indians.

They are very passive and never demand tribute.

But the worst of all are the Egyptians.They always start near me and always emerge as a superpower.
                            "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
                            Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Russia is the absolute worst neighbor ever. Of all the other civs I hate Catherine the most. Evil Russians!

Comment

Working...
                              X