Why is Russia always so damn small!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Russia always so damn small!?!

Though I can't find much time to play, in all of my games ever, which included the Russian people were always, but always (also on MarlaMap) a tiny civ. I've never seen a map with more than 15 russian cities towards endgame, or at any time.
    This is to me a flaw in the "personality" that the russian AI is given. Russia is huge in real life, and in-game should also be huge. Expansionist doesn't seem to help much... It actually help me to expand when I am near expansionist civs, since their scout reaches me quicly, so I can find out right at the start where one of my future borders will be. That way I can use the "outside-in expansion" technique more effectively.
    Is there anything that can be done to make Russia be breal big?

P.S.
    Sorry for my ignorance (this is my first visit to the "Civ3-Civilizations" forum), but what is that "extrapack" thingy that's all over this place???
    Thanks for your time.

I've also noticed that Russia is a lot smaller than China and sometimes even India. Usually, it comes in third if it does well though.

I would suggest the following modifications in the editor:

1. Give the Cossacks a better attack.

2. Be sure that the Russians get access to horses and saltpeter (both are required to produce Cossacks).

3. Check to see that both iron and coal are within Moscow's city range, so they can build Iron Works.

4. Change the characteristics of the Russians to produce a lot of "growth" and "offensive" units.

Finally, you can just help them. Be sure to pit the Chinese against the Indians early on because if you don't they will overwhelm the Russians.
    "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Perhaps it's somekind of conspiracy?

(Don't call me a paranoid please. It's a joke)

Comment

It's because the programmers don't like Serb.

Comment

Do you really think that they know about me?

Comment

Yes, I sent them an e-mail.

Comment

What for?

Comment

you guys are pretty spammy, given how shortly you've been here. you should both be banned.

Comment

Russia isn't always small. In fact, in my latest game, they were the biggest. I was Egypt, and our other neighbours were Greece and Rome (Tiny map, Pangaea, Regent).

Even when I stormed half of their empire, they were still larger than Rome (though I had already taken half of their empire, and the Greeks took half of that half) and were also still larger than Greece (even before I whittled them down to few cities).

Anyway, I never play any real world maps, as I prefer the computer to surprise me.
                  "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                  "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                  "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                    you guys are pretty spammy, given how shortly you've been here. you should both be banned.
                    That coming from someone who is self-titled "Cave Troll".

Comment

To test Russia's abilities, just play as the russians and see if you are able to easily expand. If not- then you are either a bad player, or the game truly is biased agasint a large russia?
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by siredgar

Comment

Originally posted by siredgar
                          When it comes to trolling, you are far superior, siredgar, aren't you? Look alone at your mega troll thread "Stop the America bashing", even though it may have been meant serious.

On topic: I also have noticed the fact, that Russia is often puny. Russia is an expansionist civilization and ought to be large. At least in my "russian" games it is. It's probably a sign, that the AI can't properly handle the expansionist trait. This assumption is proven by the fact, that other expansionist civs (England, Zululand, America) are also mostly small and weak. Only the Iroquois are often quite large and strong.

Comment

LOL, "mega troll thread"? Well, I have to give points to Serb for a lot of that because I only jumped in later in the game. I hate him.

Anyhow, if you follow the tips I listed, the Russians are able to expand much wider on a realistic map. Your point about the "expansionist" quality is valid and I think "growth" is a more important factor as you can see this works quite well for the Chinese and Indians.

Also, one key error in programming was that they didn't allow Horseriders or Knights to upgrade to Cossacks. I don't know if they fixed that or not though because I'm still playing v1.16f, hehe.

Comment

They fixed it. You can upgrade chariots, horsemen and knights to cossacks now. But the cavalry type of units is still a dead end, just like swordsmen. You should definitely try 1.21. It's a good patch.

Comment

Working...
                              X