No announcement yet.

India has no special unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested in REALITY and HISTORY, the War Elephant unit should be a 4.1.2, but at a reduced cost.

Such units were AWFUL on the defensive.

For those who care nothing about history, do what you want. That goes for Firaxis which is so clueless it gave Elephants three times the defense power of longbowmen, and gave knights the dame defensive strength as cavalry with rifles.

Comment

My new Mod makes Elephants 4-2-2, all terrain, +1 HP - available with HorseBack Riding and Ivory, still UU for india
      Get 84 Resources, 96 Resources, or the NEW 153 Resources! Get Rockier Bonus Grassland versions1.0 or 2.0! Get My Mix of Snoopy and Womocks early terrain! Get Varied Goody Huts!
      Upcoming Mods - Optimator (with over 1000 new units!!!) & Godzilla, Revenge of the Kaiju!
      I am in dire need of new dino and Kaiju units!

Comment

Or why not make it a Civ 2-catapult style 6-1-1? Elephants are not that fast, are they?

Comment

Originally posted by godinex
          I think the best way of make the Indina UU is asking a Indian player what is the best way for make it.

In the case of the Elephants the solution is simple: 5-3-2 or 4-4-2
          I agree completely. I made the elephant in my scenario 5-2-2 and also gave it a bonus hit point as i did wth a few other of the under powered units in general, such as the battleship, which is to weak in my opinion. ive had a few other ideas too.
          its defense is only 2 because like the earlier post says, they were poor on defense. If taken by surprise they were easily starteled and often trampled as many of the friendly soldiers as they did enemy. I also think i read somwhere that the Romans learned to use large tacks as barriers against Hannibal's few surviving elephants becuse they have sensitive feet, or something like that.
          I gave them an extra hit point because, well, they are massive packederms(sp?). I mean, in the modern day you need massive, restricted use rifles in order to take those suckers down....Ever see the movie Tremors where the survivalist guy Bert blows one of the things away in his base ment with an elephant gun....
          Last edited by Kramerman; June 13, 2002, 04:16.
          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Coracle
            For those interested in REALITY and HISTORY, the War Elephant unit should be a 4.1.2, but at a reduced cost.

Such units were AWFUL on the defensive.

For those who care nothing about history, do what you want. That goes for Firaxis which is so clueless it gave Elephants three times the defense power of longbowmen, and gave knights the dame defensive strength as cavalry with rifles.
            Though they were poor on the defensive they were truly fearsome and terrifying on a rampaging offense. At least according the Age of Empires help menu. But realisticly, logically, a War Elephant has to have a higher attack than a knight. I mean what would be more scarry to you if yo were a foot soldier, a mounted armored man coming at you, or a man on a armored elephant charging towards you, wailing those elephant trupeting noises.
            I love the idea of another thread about making the elephant a general unit and i think the Ghurka idea is excellent, though, Ghurka soldiers in the sense of modern rifleman would have to be a British, i mean, a English unit, because they have fought for the British for the past 100 years or so, i believe (i may be very, very wrong, though), kind of like the soldiers in the French Foreign Legion are foreigners fighting for France.

hmmmm, that gives me an idea.
            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Re: India has no special unit

Originally posted by caralampio
              Have you noticed that India has no advantage in its "special" War Elephant unit? It is the exact equal of the Knight. Same requisites, same costs, same 4-3-2. Actually worst because you can't upgrade Horsemen to Elephants.
              The manual lists the Elephant as 4-4-2 which would be nice, but they must have figured that it would be too powerful and it got downgraded somewhere along the design process.
              An interesting idea for a future development would be to allow elephants to anyone with Horseback Riding and access to Ivory, and make them something like 3-2-2.
              hi ,

the elephant should move 2 spaces true forest and jungle , then it would be nice , .....
              in the editor some people make it required to have ivory before you can build it , as India , ....

have a nice day
              have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

If Elephants were a strategic source, one could use them together with horses to build a Zoo Park improvement. That would make them useful throughout the game.
                The difference between industrial society and information society:
                In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Re: Re: India has no special unit

Originally posted by panag
                  the elephant should move 2 spaces true forest and jungle , then it would be nice , .....
                  This is one of those obvious-in-retrospect things that makes me want to slap my forehead and say "Why didn't I think of that?!" Of course! This is an obvious benefit to give to elephants! Really, why didn't someone think of it sooner?
                  "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                  "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

And now from an Indian

Hey guys,
                    As a genuine, bonafide Indian (and into history) here are my 78,000 lire worth:

1) As someone has already stated, Elephants are pathetic on the defensive. Well - they're pathetic in a chaotic retreat, pathetic if used in close conjuntion with infantry units (if they panic, they trample everything!) - but I imagine a defensive elephant unit would have to be used as an 'offensive defense' (I don't believe any mounted units can be used as static defenders) The things about Elephants is that they're slow: they need fodder and a lot of love and affection as well.

2) Therefore, it seems reasonable to me to give an elephant a 5/4/1 ADM. I understand that the A might seem a little excessive, but anyone has ever seen a rampaging elephant - well, then they might come around to my point of view.

Finally, Gurkhas as a special unit are a lovely idea, but they're really not Indian - they're more Nepalese (though they do have a regiment in the Indian army and have served with distinction). So they're not really distinctively 'Desi.' Incidentally Kramerman, the Gurkhas were inducted into the armies of India and Britain as a "special ethnic group" - since enrollment took place on the basis of caste/race as it was imagined to be - and they are inducted into the British army. So not quite as fallen as the Kepis-Blancs.

--------------------------
                    "Nuke 'em all to Hell and Beyond" - Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Comment

I think that the Elephant unit should appear earlier in the game.
                      The difference between industrial society and information society:
                      In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                      In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

never mind
                        CSPA

Comment

Working...
                        X