Babylonian Bowmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babylonian Bowmen

Hello all, the game landed on my doorstep a few days ago, and I love it! My first game was played as Babylon, which is somewhat appropriate (the Mesopotamians were, after all, the first great civilization of all time!). I also liked the bowman special unit, and yet, it seems no one else does, and everyone complains that historically the bowman wasn't really too important to Babylon and other Mesopotamian civilizations. However, those who think this are wrong. The bow was probably invented by the Akkadians during the period of Sargon I, and was used by this ruler to great effect in his campaign to dominate much of Mesopotamia. Little could stand up to this stunning new weapon. The Akkadians didn't last long after destroying the Sumerians, however, and the Babylonians who came after inherited the wonder weapon, the bow, and it was this weapon that Hammurabi used to such good effect when he conquered the city states of Mesopotamia. And then the Assyrians also used the bow quite often in warfare, though by then it was becoming common in Mesopotamia, and so it wasn't as useful as it was to Babylon and Akkad. I think the bowman is a good choice for special unit, considering this. The only two other options would be the Phalanx or the Chariot, and those units are both used for other civilizations, and so what else could be chosen but the bowman?
    Empire growing,
    Pleasures flowing,
    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Weren't the Assyrians extremely dependent on their excellent marksmen?

Comment

The bowman was a good choice - I think most people were complaining about how useless it is in the actual game (mediocre defence and attack and no retreat).

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence
        Forgive my ignorance, but what is a marksman?
        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence
          Forgive my ignorance, but what is a marksman?
          Blah

Comment

In this context, a marksman is an excellent shooter. The bowman is a good unit, but not a spectacular as the units of several other civs. It tends to set off early Golden Ages, not as useful as those in the Middle Ages. But a spearman who can attack (the 2-2 bowman) can be very useful in the early ages against raging barbarians.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Ta!

wAHT IF THE uu OF THE bABS ARE THE garden man!!??? (Just for the hanging ones)
              Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
              religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Working...
              X