Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else create their own civilization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else create their own civilization?

Every now and then in Civ 2, and now in Civ 3, I play as the "Sylvanian" civilization. I have my own list of city names and leaders. Can't wait for the editor to expand so I can add even more personal touches. Anybody else do this? What do you base it on?
    -Daryl
    My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

I play mostly modern nation-states.

So, I've replaced Greece with Portugal, Babylonia with Spain, Persia with Netherlands, Sioux with Korea, and just for fun, Aztec Empire with Khmer. I also changed America to "United States", England to "Britain", and Rome to "Italy". I don't care if you're offended because most of you don't even exist anymore.

In addition, I took Sevorak's list of city names and expanded them to include colonial outposts and cities from "related" cultures (i.e., adding cities like Brazzaville and Geneva to the French list). I also changed the names for Zululand cities to modern African cities like Lusaka and Kinshasa.

By the way, you should check out the "Middle Earth" thread. I think some people are making a "Lord of the Rings" mod.
    "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

I have to say though I usually don't play United States or Zululand or Khmer. They seem somewhat out of place in my game.

Comment

That's not quite what I meant. My civ does not exist in reality, though it is reality based. What I mean is, I play as the Sylvanians. All the city names are of landmarks/cities/roads/rivers in Pennsylvania. The leaders are people like my grandfathers and uncles.
        I used to play Civ2 over the net with a guy who did the same, only he would name his cities Markton, Markville, Mark Beach, Mark Groves, Mark Estates, etc. I never found out what his name was...
        -Daryl

Comment

I know that's not what you meant. That's why I suggested you check out the Middle Earth thread (in Creation, I believe).

Anyhow, I was talking about me, not you. It's not all about you.

Comment

Well, in Civ2 I played the Etruscans very often... with the Etruscan city names and titles and so on.

Is that something like you had in mind?

Comment

I often play "The Culture". Have done for years. Interesting that Civ III includes culture as a game concept now.
              Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

If You are interested, a Costa Rican MOD exist in the creator forum.
                Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
                religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

In Civ2 I created the Giovannini Civilization!
                  They were starting in north-west Italy and was replacing the Romans!
                  Cities were like: Giovannopolis, Gionslandia, Giolano, Giorino, San Giovanni and so on.....

But I didn't mess up with Civ3 yet!

Saluti
                  A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority. -Samuel Johnson- (1709-84), English author
                  I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,/Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,/And sounds as if it should be writ on satin/With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.-Lord Byron- (1788-1824), English poet.
                  Lump the whole thing! Say that the Creator made Italy from designs by Michael Angelo! -Mark Twain- (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Comment

That's cool, Giovanni! It is easy enough to create the same in Civ 3, just edit the civ3mod.bic file, though you will have to choose which civ to replace. I nixed the Iroquois, since (Penn)Sylvania is in roughly the same geographical location. You could replace the Romans, unless you wanted to go up against them each game as your arch-rivals. After downloading the Spain mod, I find that I now have 17 civs to choose from, though only 16 are playable.
                    Like I said, some of my relatives show up as leaders in my Sylvanian civ. One leader I have is August, he was my grandfather

-Daryl of the Sylvanians

Comment

Originally posted by Quasar1011
                      That's cool, Giovanni! It is easy enough to create the same in Civ 3, just edit the civ3mod.bic file, though you will have to choose which civ to replace.
                      I know it is pretty easy, probably much easyer than in Civ2... but I didn't want to change the game too much now....

It would be cool to create a mod with only not-real civilizations

Saluti
                      A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority. -Samuel Johnson- (1709-84), English author
                      I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,/Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,/And sounds as if it should be writ on satin/With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.-Lord Byron- (1788-1824), English poet.
                      Lump the whole thing! Say that the Creator made Italy from designs by Michael Angelo! -Mark Twain- (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Comment

I sometimes play as the Matzanians with the capital "St.Matz"

You got to know that Matz(i) was my nickname as a child.
                        Other town names originate from combinations of all my names (Werner Gerolf Rüdiger Stangl): Wersta, Werngl, Werger, Gerüd, Nersta... and not to forget such towns like Matzograd, Wernopolis, Matzoburg, Matzabon, Wernabad, Matzeran, Matzstadt...
                        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Using a fictional civ can add some extra interest to the game. And using your own name/nickname/alias can help to personalise your civilization. I somehow find it easier being Lord Azreal of the Azrealites, with Azrealopolis as my capital than Emperor Caesar of the Romans with Rome, or President Lincoln of the Americans with Washington, etc. It gives a sense of accomplishment, as a new civ is created rather than an existing one being recreated.

And as for extra city names, when I am out of ideas, I'll use towns, cities and landmarks from Ultima (Britain, Trinsic, Moonglow, Valoria/Jhelom, Magincia/New Magincia, Skara Brae, Yew, Minoc, Paws, Vesper, Moon, Montor, Fawn, Moonshade, Monitor, etc.) and perhaps also use places from Middle Earth. But since I have quite a few ideas for city names, I don't need to get that far.
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Azreal...

I use Ultima city names as well. I never use "New" Magincia, unless the original gets destroyed. I always say daemons did it. I also try to mimic their placement. ie... Skara Brae, Jhelom, Magincia, and Moonglow are on islands. Hmmm, maybe I'll use the dungeons in my next game. Sire, the citizens of Shame are unhappy. Sire, the citizens of Deceit have revolted and joined the treacherous French.

Very few of my cities have real-life names. I use my hometown name and Philadelphia is the Americans are not in the game.

My capital is always Timtown.

Oh, yeah, over on CivFanatics there is a map of Britannia. It's called a map of Sosaria, but it's actually Britannia.
                            Last edited by dunk; April 23, 2002, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by dunk999
                              Hmmm, maybe I'll use the dungeons in my next game. Sire, the citizens of Shame are unhappy. Sire, the citizens of Deceit have revolted and joined the treacherous French.
                              Covetous is suffering the hugest amounts of corruption and waste in history. Civil disorder in Despise.

Oh, yeah, over on CivFanatics there is a map of Britannia. It's called a map of Sosaria, but it's actually Britannia.
                              I know about that. Anyway, if the map editor gets a bloody mini-map, I might consider making a map of the Serpent Isle as well. A map of Pagan might also be interesting, and so that might well be on the cards for me to make.
                              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X