Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARGH! The Manual Has the Civs All Wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH! The Manual Has the Civs All Wrong!

I know, probably every knew that but me. And I know (now) that it does mention your civ's traits at the start. Still...

But, no wonder I've been having so much trouble. I've been trying to make my civ do things they are not inclined to be good at. And I've been misunderstanding the traits of the opposing civs, too.

Why do they do things like that? I would think that something of that nature would have been pretty easy to notice before production time. And why bother to change them around? Does it really matter to anyone whether the French are industrious and commercial rather than religious and militaristic (or whatever)?

Are there any other major surprises like that (or a site/thread that talks about them)?
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

"The worst manual ever."

Infogrames or Firaxis has probably used cheap Vietnamese child labor for reading through the manual. It's unbelievable how many printing mistakes it includes. For instance you can't trust any of the information tables that would be quite essential for checking detailed information. Not to mention that some of the facts doesn't seem to be true or then it's incomplete.

I assume Civ III's manual is the worst manual I have ever read.

Poor work from Firaxis...
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

We can't just blame this one on infrogames either. Well it's true that the publishers rush to get things on the self before Christmas must have exaserbated the situation it is still Firaxis's responsibility to sort out the manuals, proofread them, and make sure the information is factual and complete. From what I can tell Firaxis just didn't care enough to do a good job on the manual.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

that's why they have readme files, guys.

Comment

i think a better idea for civ traits would be to let you choose the two traits you want.....this way you can find out what works best for your civ and playin style
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Did you read the EU manual?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

i thought the manual was pretty good, besides a few mistakes...

Comment

apparently i am not missing much
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by HolyWarrior
                  that's why they have readme files, guys.
                  Er, good point. I so seldom ever find anything useful in readme files that I got out of the habit. I have now read this one, though, and printed out parts of it to include with the manual.

Worse luck, the 3 civs I compared from the manual to the game were the only 3 that were changed. Go figure (and if I recall my math correctly, that figure would be only about 18 times out of 10,000 tries). LOL!
                  Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                  Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                  Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                  Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Makes you wonder about Peano's fifth axiom.
                    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian
                      Makes you wonder about Peano's fifth axiom.
                      Why is that incorrectly stated in the manual aswell?
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

Did you read the EU manual?
                        The EU manual sufficed as a basic history lesson. In relation to gameplay, it was MUCH WORSE than the Civ 3 manual!

-Daryl
                        My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Comment

Heh

Have you ever read the Diablo 1 manual? THAT was bad.

--Kaervek

Comment

Wrong attributes, as in religious, etc. ?
                            Yeah. A pisser.
                            Maybe in an updated release notes.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                            X