Which is the most useful Unique Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the most useful Unique Unit

Just wondering which Unique Unit is thought to be best. Here's their stats (taken from Most Useless Unique Unit vote)

Aztec Jaguar Warrior 1-1-2 Cost:10shlds (none)
    Zulu Impi Warrior 1-2-2 Cost: 20shlds (BronzeWorking)
    Greek Hoplite 1-3-1 Cost:20shlds (BronzeWorking - Greece starts with)
    Babylonian Bowman 2-2-1 Cost:20shlds (WarriorCode)
    Egyptian WarChariot 2-1-2 Cost:30shlds+horses (TheWheel)
    Roman Legionary 3-3-1 Cost:30shlds+iron (IronWorking)
    Persian Immortal 4-2-1 Cost:30shlds+iron (IronWorking)
    Iroquois MountedWarrior 3-1-2 ZOC Cost:30shlds+horses (Horseback Riding)
    Chinese Rider 4-3-3 ZOC Cost:70shlds+horses (Chivalry)
    Japanese Samurai 4-4-2 Cost:70shlds+iron (Chivalry)
    Indian WarElephant 4-4-2 Cost:80shlds (Chivalry)
    French Musketeer 3-4-1 Cost:60shlds+saltpeter (Gunpowder)
    English Man-O-War 3-2-4 (3-1-2) Cost:60shlds+iron+saltpeter (Magnetism)
    Russian Cossack 6-3-3 ZOC Cost:80shlds+horses+saltpeter (MilitaryTradition)
    German Panzer 16-8-3 ZOC Cost:100shlds+oil+rubber (MotorizedTransportation)
    American F-15 8-4-1 (4-0(6)-2) Cost:100shlds+oil+aluminum (Rocketry)
    Aztec Jaguar Warrior
    6.00%
    Zulu Impi Warrior
    0.00%
    Greek Hoplite
    10.00%
    Babylonian Bowman
    0.00%
    Egyptian War Chariot
    0.00%
    Roman Legionary
    12.00%
    Persian Immortal
    22.00%
    Iroquois Mounted Warrior
    8.00%
    Chinese Rider
    11.00%
    Japanese Samurai
    2.00%
    Indian War Elephant
    3.00%
    French Musketeer
    2.00%
    English Man-O-War
    0.00%
    Russian Cossack
    5.00%
    German Panzer
    16.00%
    American F-15
    3.00%

Re: Which is the most useful Unique Unit

Originally posted by Wulfram
    Chinese Rider 4-3-3 ZOC Cost:70shlds+horses (Chivalry)
    You also need iron to produce a Rider.

Comment

I think this is too difficult to answer yet. First of all, I doubt many people have tried out all the civs yet to see how their specific unique unit helps. Second, a lot depends on what style of play you prefer. Third, it matters how much stronger the unique unit is compared to the standard counterpart (has anyone made a comparison of that yet?). Fourth, the terrain matters; some unique units can be greatly negated by playing a map with lots of impassible terrain. Fifth, length of game matters; if I play to win before the Modern Age, German Panzers and American F-15's aren't going to even come into play.
      Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

i echo your thoughts as well Cavebear... time will see alot of changes in strategies ..its too early still
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I haven't tried all the civs yet, but I suppose the Panzer and Man-O-War are my favourites. But I won't give my vote yet.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

We have to wait for F-15 till patch come out, Air units is bug and useless, became enemy keep bombing on my land and I have Jet fighter or F-15 dont do their job with SMA I forget spelling that.

Comment

Hoplites are great - every other civ needs to wait until the second age in order to get a unit that is as good as this one, which the greeks can build right away. amazing if you're going any non-militaristic route, and great if you are and want to secure your conquered cities.

I think that immortals are my favorite, but the persians are my favorite civ (i love scientific/industrial as a combo). the attack of 4 is unmatched until the middle ages, and since persians start with bronze working, they can get iron working as their first tech to be researched and have a major advantage. when you get them, go attack!! NOW !!!! winning cities and getting workers this early in the game can make or break the rest of the game. By the time you can build them, your enemies will have many small cities ripe for the plucking.

I also love cossacks - the ability to conquer and the staying power to defend the cities afterwards makes them nice all-around. Heck, they even look cool, and they come at a time where getting a golden age (if you haven't already got one) is a great advantage - your empire is big and can get that boost that you can ride right on in to the industrial ages

finally i have to say that panzers are amazing, but only if your ultimate goal is TGD. If not, don't take germany - its simple really. Personally, i know that they are amazing but i'd never take germany because i love to conquer early, and by the mid to late industrial ages, lay back, fortify my cities and start the culture/diplomatic/scientific race to the finish line.

but thats just what i think

Cheers and good gaming everyone!
              ~Alex
              "Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion"
              -Democritus of Abdera

Comment

Legion is the best, but depends on age

For early on, the legion has the swordsman's attack and the pikeman's defence. Plus, the Persians are not commercial like the Romans. You won't have a higher defence unit until you get the musket man. And the musket man doesn't have 3 attack.

The cossack is also good for having a high defence for such a powerful, mobile unit. And since it can attack many times, the Panzer is much more powerful than the normal tank.

I would go for a general purpose unit that can be good for anything. The babylonian bowman is a good choice, but 3/3 is also great.

I find military tradition and cavalry come too soon to make the samurai useful

But for the middle ages, the samurai rules. It depends on when you actually want to wage war. I just like legions for early defence and power, thats all.
                Wrestling is real!

Comment

Personally I think the best UU so far (I tried all of them except the late game units like the F-15) is the Persian Immortal. You need to get iron but if you can get that then you can rush and attack all the neemy civilizations. Rushing usually eliminates one or two civilizations (if they are reasonably close to you).

KoalaBear33

Comment

I have finally made up my mind; the Persian Immortal is my favourite. At least it has been useful against the Roman Legions in my current Roman campaign.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

The first vote for the Iroquois Mounted Warrior.
                      Fast and 3 attack points and well upgradable.

Hoplite is nice and might be a good choice in a multiplayer game.
                      Immortal was more useful for me than Legionary. Samurais are nice but come a bit late.

Comment

i found the samurai to be more useful than the immortal. its great having a mobile attacking unit thats as good a defender as the best defender of the age the musketman. plus you dont need horses. the good part is they even upgrade to cavalry for some reason.

Comment

I find the panzer to be useful, considering its late debut in the game. I find when I play as a civ with its UU early in the game, i hit a golden age when my empire is smaller than it could be. When I get panzers, not only can I start rolling over my opponents, but if i hit a Golden age then, I can really get the party started.

Comment

Difficult question to answer. The best way to answer it is to think about when you want to go to war, when you want your Golden Age, etc.

An ancient era UU like the Jag. Warrior, Hoplite or Impi which you can just about get right away starts the golden age too early, as your empire is too small and has little to no infrastructure to take advantage of the GA.

Middle ages UUs are the most useful when you want a GA started. Its about the time of the middle ages when you have enough infrastructure to take full advantage, and get your wonders done quickly.

As for Industrial-modern UUs, the Golden age from them comes too late to make a difference.
                            "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                            "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                            "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                            X