Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official place names of China (at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mahdimael
    Or just copy the file to a disk or via the network if you have one. I've reinstalled civ2 twice when I reinstalled windows on my computer. I usually just change the name to whatever I want when I found the city. It takes 2 seconds and works just fine.
    That's all well for your own cities but I'd rather conquer the German city Köln instead of the silly English (originally French) spelled Cologne.
    "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
    "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Hmm...I believe the cities.txt file has the names for all the cities, so the computer would reference it as well for names.

I'm not disagreeing. I'd love to have Firaxis do the hard work for me, but at least the option is there to change it if desired.
      ----
      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm...I believe the cities.txt file has the names for all the cities, so the computer would reference it as well for names.

I'm not disagreeing. I'd love to have Firaxis do the hard work for me, but at least the option is there to change it if desired.

I agree 100%. If Firaxis does not change this themselves, then I'm still happy doing what I've always done.

I just bring this up in the interests of further accuracy, that's all. Anybody else who knows of improvements that can be made on naming is encouraged to post.

Again, it only takes me about 2 minutes to change them back if they're not right in the first place. It's up to Firaxis entirely whether they want to update the names or keep them traditional.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I would like to see Unicode support for city names. And the Vikings should be called the Norse (if they're included). Vikings were Norse raiders, IINM.
          "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
          "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

I prefer the old-style Chinese names. I would like to see the image of Mao removed from the game as China's leader. They don't use Hitler to represent Germany. Sun Yat Sen would be a better choice.

B
            The more people posess, the greater their losses.

Comment

I want to play Korea when I play Civ but it isn't included in the game (It's in CTP2, though). To play the Koreans I choose the custom civilisation with Oriental buildings and fill in the leader titles. When cities are founded I write in the city name I want. I use a Korean computer so I can type the names in Korean script. I can even write them in Chinese script because with the exception of Seoul all major Korean cities were named using Chinese. There was a king who thought the original Korean names sounded too provincial so he had them all changed. Seoul, by the way, just means 'capital'. It's strange the capital's name would be so unimaginative when other cities have great names like 'Peaceful East' (Andong), 'Great Fields' (Taejeon), and 'Fortress of Rightousness' (Uiseong).
              Formerly known as Masuro.
              The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                I think the spelling of Hong Kong and Kowloon should be left alone since they are too well known to be changed.

Also Bejing in Cantonese is more along the lines of "Buck-g'ink." "G'ink" is what you get when you pronounce "g" and "ink" at the same time

Shadowstrike,

"X" in pinyin is pronounced like "zh" in English IIRC.
                Still, as a native speaker, I've always pronouced and heard other people pronouce Hong Kong as "Heung Gang". Even with translating it into po tung hwi, I still cannot see how the heck they cam get Xianggang from it.
                *grumbles about work*

Comment

Originally posted by BSH
                  I prefer the old-style Chinese names. I would like to see the image of Mao removed from the game as China's leader. They don't use Hitler to represent Germany. Sun Yat Sen would be a better choice.

B
                  You can't compare Mao with Hitler. For starters Mao had neither intended to wipe out any ethnic groups nor start a war of conquest. While he's not the best, Sun is even less so. There are several choices including the mythical Yellow Emperor.

Shadowstrike,

Not really sure. I don't think it's "Hseung" though since there's a "sh" (or "zh") component at the beginning.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

SS & UR....isn't "Heung Kong" the cantonese pronuciation and "Xianggang" the Mandarin version of the same two characters?
                    (where did that 'hseung' stuff come from)?

Anyway, I'd favour having all the names of the Chinese cities in their original dialects. So Hong Kong & Kowloon should be kept as they are. And all the other city-names should be in their respective dialects...

As for the leader, I'd also favour using one of the Emperors rather than Mao or Sun.
                    PHOENIXCAGER
                    The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

If Kowloon is a different city from Hong Kong, I will editi it out ASAP. Its the same city, just a different part of it! What's next? Oh... let's have New York, Manhatan, Queens, Bronx, and all those other parts of New York as differnet cities? Why no have a Chinatown city?

Note: This post was posted in a mocking tone. The author does not expect anyone to take this serously. if this is taken seriously, the author will be most....vexed.
                      *grumbles about work*

Comment

Didn't realise that that was your point, SS....

btw, Hong Kong Island and Kowloon are pretty distinct, but are they considered one city or two? UR...what's the usual stand on that?
                        PHOENIXCAGER

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
                          If Kowloon is a different city from Hong Kong, I will editi it out ASAP. Its the same city, just a different part of it! What's next? Oh... let's have New York, Manhatan, Queens, Bronx, and all those other parts of New York as differnet cities? Why no have a Chinatown city?
                          the interesting is tho, that each of the 5 boroughs used to be considered different cities, at one point the cities of New York (Manhattan) and Brooklyn were both one of the largest cities in the nation. it was only in the last 100 years that Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island united and formed Greater New York.

perhaps cities can start out with older names but events whether it be a take-over (new amsterdam->new york), revolution (edo->tokyo), culture, or just even time (peking->beijing) can change city names.

Comment

Just like to cast my vote with the side that says names should be written as the civilization they belong to would call them. Thus

Beijing instead of Peking
                            Koln instead of Cologne
                            London instead of the Roman or Viking name if its an British/English city (can't remember which one the civ actually is sorry)
                            I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixcager
                              SS & UR....isn't "Heung Kong" the cantonese pronuciation and "Xianggang" the Mandarin version of the same two characters?
                              Heung is fragrant/fragrance and Gang is harbour. Just a zillion different ways to write the same thing down in the English alphabet

(where did that 'hseung' stuff come from)?
                              Supposedly from the fragant wood trading which HK was a centre.

btw, Hong Kong Island and Kowloon are pretty distinct, but are they considered one city or two? UR...what's the usual stand on that?
                              Hong Kong and Kowloon were ceded to Britain at two different times. However since the Brits put them together under one colonial government, they are supposedly two different districts of the same city. So like New York City, Hong Kong has 3 general regions (Hong Kong Island, Kowloon Peninsula, and New Territories) and 18 districts (for election purposes).

If you want to know New Territories was leased by the British for a duration for 100 years.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think that's enough to justify having two seperate cities in civ.

btw, UR, I know the 'Heung' is correct.....but there was an extra 's' in added in one of your posts...and I was just picking on that.
                                PHOENIXCAGER

Comment

Working...
                                X