AU 103: Island hopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 103: Island hopping

You are Tourist Tina (sorry guys ) of the English. All you want is a little vacation and relaxation in foreign lands. Unfortunately, you don't know where any of those lands are. Not to worry! Exploration is what tourism is all about. Just pray that the locals speak English, and not Greek or Latin or some other weird language you don't know...

Settings:
    AU MOD 1.0
    Monarch
    Standard
    Archipelago
    80% Ocean
    Normal
    Temperate
    4 billion
    Raging Barbarians (no, not sedimantary, ha, ha)

Tourist Destinations
    Rome
    Greece
    Babylon
    America
    France

Goals
    1. Win the game. Any victory condition will do.
    2. Explore. Uncover the entire map as fast as possible.
    3. Rule the seas. Build AND use (not necessarily for combat) at least 1 of every naval unit until the win. Build at least 10 Privateers. Gold star for innovative use of MoWs, subs, blockades & interdiction.

And don't forget your sunscreen!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alexman; August 8, 2002, 10:04.

Here's the same map with standard rules.
    (pure Civ3 1.29f)
    Attached Files

Comment

***REMINDER***

Great Lighthouse = Instant Golden Age

Nice dilema... build it fast or wait until you're not a Despot and risk missing it? Hmmm...

Comment

Before anyone starts playing: Lockstep has posted a bug report here, can this still been fixed before we start or should we play this one with the bugs? Alexman?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
          Before anyone starts playing: Lockstep has posted a bug report here, can this still been fixed before we start or should we play this one with the bugs? Alexman?
          Seems kind of important in a game based on naval power...

Comment

Sorry about that upgrade bug... I'll have a new save up in half an hour.

Comment

Hm, of yourse I couldn't keep my hands off it and started already. On second thought it's not too bad, I'll keep on playing anyway.

Comment

Bug fixed. Sorry if you started playing. But I think both you and the AI won't be able to upgrade your ships with the old version. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                  Sorry about that upgrade bug... I'll have a new save up in half an hour.
                  Oh, or are you going to make a complete new game?

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
                    Bug fixed. Sorry if you started playing. But I think both you and the AI won't be able to upgrade your ships with the old version. Is that true?
                    AFAIK, yes. Upgrade rules should work the same way for the AI and the human player.
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

***WARNING***

Did you know that the Colossus, contrary to what it says in the Civilopedia, triggers a GA for commercial civs in addition to expansionist and religious?

Serves me right for never playing the English...

If you're by any chance planning to get all the Wonders in this game, prepare for a despot GA...

Comment

I just logged in with the same warning!! The damn thing is evidently commercial AND expansionist.

btw, alexman, you have a sadistic streak in you!!

But... A Woman Called Intrepid.

[reference to a famous book about Churchill]
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Oh dear. Then again, an early GA may be necessary just to hold our own on this one (dunno, haven't downloaded it yet).

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                            btw, alexman, you have a sadistic streak in you!!
                            More like sadomasochistic (since I am also playing it)
                            The options were an easy Emperor map or a hard Monarch map. It's not my fault you chose the latter!

I don't get your Intrepid Woman reference, BTW...

Played up to 190 A.D. and Caesar's the top dog! Amazing what building something besides units can do for a warmongerer...

Comment

There's a famous book about the activities of the British Security Coordination group, which was sort of the equivalent of the OSS, in supporting Churchill as he guided England through her darkest hour. It was written by the head of BSC at the time, whose code name was INTREPID. The title is "A Man Called Intrepid."

Anyway, once I figured out the immediate map, I knew that this one's gonna be tough, and that title came to mind.

Game stuff:

Yeah, Rome is top dog for me too... except Tina!!! I got off to a blazing start, especially considering circumstances.

Colossus and Lighthouse... now for my earliest ever intercontinental attack!!

Haven;t found the island yet...
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                              X