Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt, would it be possible for us to see the article before it is submitted?

Comment

yes, most definitely. i like to pass it around to as many people who are wiling to read and get feedback -- especially to check if i'm interpreting people right and make any changes before any final drafts are turned in.
      -----
      kurt squire, joystick101.org

Comment

I don't know that I would be the best person to interview for this, but I'd be happy to contribute.
        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
        -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Re: AU Print/Online News Coverage

Originally posted by DanQ
          For all those who have and continue to contribute to AU, the recognition is well deserved. Congratulations!
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Did anybody see the update of this article in the October issue of Computer Games Review??

I was flipping through it this morning, and dropped my cup of coffee!!
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Hi Kurt. Good to hear from you, and thanks in advance for the article preview.

As far as interviewing people on AU goes, I'm sure I'm atop of your list already...

Originally posted by Theseus
              Did anybody see the update of this article in the October issue of Computer Games Review??

I was flipping through it this morning, and dropped my cup of coffee!!
              I haven't. Can you provide an excerpt or two for us (including name of author, page number(s))?

--------
              Dan; Apolyton CS
              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Computer Games Magazine, October 2005, pages 94-95

"Applied Game Theory", by Henry Jenkins and Kurt Squire

"The Higher Education of Gaming: Is Apolyon University, an online school for players of Sid Meier's Civilization, a model for discovering the next generation of talent?"

"Imagine an online university, run by gamers, dedicated to helping you become a better player and maybe even a game designer. There's no tuition, and you're free to participate however you like. You might browse materials looking for strategies. Mayber you enroll in a few courses. Not only do professors read your ideas, they give extensive feedback. They even let you run your own course, if you think you can do it better. If you're really lucky, maybe a game company will take an interest in your talent and turn this interest into a career.

" Does that sound far-fetched? Well, it's not. In fact, it's happening right now at Apolyton Univeristy (AU), an online university of Civilization players at Apolyton.net. AU is a group of players who have mastered the basics of Civ and want to learn more, starting by redesigning the game rules to make it more challenging. There are roughly 24 courses, ranging from OCC, the "one City Challenge" (players must win with only one city, which is an insane, but fun, strategy), to "Give Peace a Chanc," a course challenging students to win through economic and diplomatic means. Alll of these courses are free online, and anyone can participate."

"As more educators look for ways to use games for learning, self-organizing learning communities such as AU illustrate the importance of looking beyond game technologies and also see the social changes that they are a part of. Customization and mod tools amplify the ever-blurring lines between consumers and producers. Making mods, scenarios,a nd game movies, or, in this case, "courses," is a natural extension of participation with the medium. And no one denies access based on a lack of credentials; kids from Croatia can participate right alongside PHDs in articifical intelligence."

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                X