No announcement yet.

Training Succession Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (I apologize for the contiuned semi-threadjack!)

Originally posted by punkbass2000
    I don't follow. How does 69 speed up your start, aside from being founded one turn earlier? It still requires one tile to be irrigated before the game.
    First, being founded one turn earlier is not unimportant in the early-game.

Second, by putting a city on the Desert, I irrigate a tile that I need to irrigate but that I do not plan on using, which is highly convenient in terms of Worker-turns. As you point out I still need to irrigate a tile, but I irrigate a Flood Plains, which can be put to immediate good use as a 3F/2C for Adrianople. You, on the other hand, need to irrigate a Desert tile, which I doubt you will use (only 1F...) before turn 80 or so.

Third, by having Adrianople only 2.5 tiles away from my capital, I ensure that it will suffer the least amount of Corrpution among all my core cities. This is important to keep Adrianople as small as possible but still capable of producing 2-turn Workers. In my city placement, I have a couple of cities as distance 3, less then where you have Adrianople at 3.5. I believe this means Adrianople would lose its fourth Shield to Corruption instead of its fifth. Again, a big deal for a pump city.

Again, this was a simple error on my part. I misunderstood your comparison, I thought you were following my first ten moves, which is why I think our tests have failed.
    Why have they failed?

(Edit: I may have misunderstood the quote above. Are you saying that you only claimed that Granary-first was better than Settler-first given your chosen first ten moves of the game? If so, I agree, and please disregard the rest of this post.)

"Settler-first": Build a second city as quickly as possible in order to make most efficient use of bonus Food resources. Two cities and bonus Food means more Workers early on, which in turn means faster irrigation of bonus Food resources. It is critical for this strategy to work that, in the first few turns, Constantinople work the Wheat tiles and the Worker do a Chop Forest on the Game tile.

"Granary-first": Build a Granary as quickly as possible in order to maximize its Food-generating effect from each growth in Pop. It is critical for this strategy that, in the first few turns, Constantinople obtain high Shield production, which means leaving the Game Forest alone (for now) and having the Worker mine a Bonus Grassland.

The point of this whole discussion is to determine which of these two strategies, if perfectly executed with superb micromanagement and smart higher-level decisions, results in a stronger position later on in the game (at turn 40, or at Philosophy). There is nothing that Settler-first did in my tests that is so much more efficient than Granary-first, apart from building a Settler first. From my results, I feel confident in claiming that Settler-first is at least as good as Granary-first. I am happy with leaving it at that.
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• Originally posted by punkbass2000
      Yeah, I just realized that Dom didn't build any warriors, including the one I built immediately. I think this seriously throws off the results. I started from turn 10 on my granary-first run and there's no really good way to build a settler at that point. Assuming that granary-first doesn't *need* a warrior (and I can't see why it would, at least vs. settler-first), to compare to what I've already done will either probably make settler-first look worse than it should and Dom's way makes settler-first look better than it should. So much for trying to eliminate individual bias I wonder if this is largely a result of me generally believing in granary-first and thus knowing the "optimal" strats with it, while Dom is more familiar with settler-first. I suppose we could try to compare my granary-first to Dom's settler-first, though that still runs into some problems, it could be interesting. I'm interested to know what contacts you had in 2110BC Dom, and when you acquired them w/o warriors. Same for huts, as well as overall exploration.
      Sorry to quote myself.

I'm still quite interested to see how your 'settler-first' turns out, when do you get Phil.? Also, how does expansion and exploration go? I actually have a whole slew of questions for you I'm realizing. Pop quiz?

EDIT: Good point about irrigating the FP, BTW. I do agree the other two are important, but not to the same degree.
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• Had time this morning, Here's the next 5 and save:

1350BC We can build the FP if we're so inclined.
        Otto and Worker4 begin road.
        Grog to Const.
        Tax rate to 0.9.1
        Hitt and Worker5 help out Worker2 with road.
        W Settler W.
        Joe S.
        Smyrna builds Worker6, begins barracks.
        Worker6 SE and irrigates.
        Saffron S.
        Magellan 993 (Oops, slight miss hit, shoulda been 963).
        Special Forces fortifies.

1325BC Const. completes Settler, set to another settler.
        Adrian. completes Worker7, set to another worker.
        Worker7 N.
        Both Arabs and Hittites have warriors beside worker stacks and empty cities so
        Grog to Ceas.
        and Settler + Special Forces 222.
        Also, renegotiate peace with both, 40 gold from Arabs to renew and 60 from Hittites. Decide this seems to be getting profitable and call up Ottos for 100. There seems to be a very specific amount they're all willing to pay, interestingly enough. This I didn't know. Actually, looking at the powergraph now, we're double any of them, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised by their capitulation.
        Joe S.
        W Settler SW.
        Saffron W.
        Magellan 369.
        Tax back to 0.10.0

1300BC Arabs declare war anyway. This brings up a good point. When a few enemy units suddenly move towards undefended cities/units, they may simply have had a random decision to attack and won't turn back, regardless. In later stages of the game you can gain gold with gpt by reacting properly to his behaviour. In hindsight I wish I'd lowered the science briefly and offered gpt to the Hitts and Arabs for additional gold. Oh well.
        Arab warrior beside Ceasarea attacks and loses to Grog, doing only one hp of damage. No promotion, though
        Other Arab warrior SW of Special Forces runs away in fear upon sight of the elite forces, morale broken upon word of the failed siege of Caesarea. (S is his only option, aside from N.)]
        Grog fortifies.
        Joe E.
        W Settler founds Chaceldon, set to worker. We've sufficiently blocked the Ottos, for now, I feel, and with a couple units I can probably keep them from settling in our desert for a bit, without having to 'sacrifice' settlers there yet. Can now concentrate on blocking Arabs/Hitts to E and S.
        Special Forces + Settler SW.
        Worker4 NW and irrigates.
        Otto 232.
        Worker stack clearing jungle.
        Worker7 irrigates FP.
        Worker3 irrigates different FP. Saffron S, finds Arab Settler/Spearman team. in the E.
        Magellan 989. Most of Arab capital territory visible.

1275 Smyrna gains 10 shields from forest.
        Arab warrior runs away SW.
        Arab team N out of sight.
        Ceas. trains Worker8.
        Ceas. begins granary.
        Joe E.
        Worker1 begins mine.
        Worker4/6 78.
        Otto S, begins clearing.
        SF + Settler S.
        Saffron S, discovers Damascus. This may cause any stacks the Arabs have going towards to start heading this way.
        Magellan 888.

1250BC Hitt warrior NW.
        Magellan 889, Arab team 41 from Magellan.
        Saffron S.
        Settler E.
        SF NE.
        Worker8 roads.
        Grog 662.
        Joe to Const. for MP, fortifies.
        Worker 4/6 irrigate.
        Science dropped to 90%, still 7 turns, gains 1gpt.
        1st in every demographic that matters, except Military Service.

Here's the known world:
        Attached Files
        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"

Comment

• PB: I've seen some similar behavior with AI attacks and tried to get peace, sometimes to exploit $ and sometimes in the hopes of averting an attack. From my experience too it seems like the AI decides (randomly) to attack and there is nothing to turn it back, but is this proven part of how AI thinks?

About the FP, if this were my game I would probably wait to drop it in some big mass of new, hopefully conquered land. OTOH we are basically losing $ to corruption, so how do you guys work the FP on emp+ levels and what are we going to do here.

Also, PB, can we have the save posted?

Thanks, dave

Comment

• Originally posted by dmd175
            PB: I've seen some similar behavior with AI attacks and tried to get peace, sometimes to exploit $ and sometimes in the hopes of averting an attack. From my experience too it seems like the AI decides (randomly) to attack and there is nothing to turn it back, but is this proven part of how AI thinks?
            I don't know that it's proven, but I've seen others claim so and do believe it happens at least sometimes. They lost nothing this time, but I've seen them give up lots of gpt and even luxuries like this before despite (like this time) being far lower in power and even polite/gracious (though the Arabs were annoyed today).

About the FP, if this were my game I would probably wait to drop it in some big mass of new, hopefully conquered land. OTOH we are basically losing $ to corruption, so how do you guys work the FP on emp+ levels and what are we going to do here.
            Well, there's a good and unusually active thread in Strategy Forum about the FP and potential uselessness of it. Anyway, the FP has been drastically nerfed in C3C 1.22, as I gather you're largely unaware, as it does not create a 'second core' like it used to. It no longer acts as a second palace for OCN, it only affects distance corruption and increases your overall OCN like 20%.

Also, PB, can we have the save posted?

Thanks, dave
            little absent minded in my old age now.

Comment

• Goddamn
              Attached Files

Comment

• Modo, are you going to play this next 10 turns or should I?

Comment

• I'd rather not. I don't think the AI was suposed to get thrashed by players so much in this game, and I'd only add to the development Punkbass already made. Perhaps try to post in the PBEM forum, as a couple succession games are going on there. People might want to join another one. Posting reports shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Try this thread:

Also, I'm playing AU 505 right now, and it's quite time-consuming.
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

• Sooo... someone is going to play this, right?

Comment

• 1250 BC (end of turn): Adrianople changed from desert to hill to kick out worker in one less turn (and +1gpt). Arabs move warrior N to meet Saffron. Arab spear/settler visible 8888 Damascus.

1225 BC: Sardica founded. Constantinople MM forest--> ocean (did not need extra shields to build settler).
                      Worker 9 E (maybe we can trade away an incense). Adrianople to settler.
                      Special Forces SW. Saffron...what to do with you...maybe we can run and pillage Arabia. Saffron NW.
                      Magellan 68.

1200 BC: Hittites building Pyramids (ummm, guys, you have like 4 cities!...but we'll be happy to conquer it later for you).
                      Workers 4679 all roading. Worker3 SW for irrigation. Worker2 moved S to start road to Sardica and spices.
                      Saffron sick of Arabic warrior. SE, kills him, -2 hp but promoted. Special Forces SW.
                      Magellan 69.
                      Constantinople settler: Ottos blocked, war w/ Arabs, so 998 Adrianople to block Hitts.

1175:
                      Heraclea worker10 SW to road (build barracks). Worker8 SW to road to Chalcedon. Worker2 road.
                      Saffron W. Special forces SW.
                      Magellan 978

1150 BC: Ottomans building TOA.
                      Worker10 road. Worker 4 SE. Worker 6 24. Worker 8 road.
                      Magellan 69.
                      Special Forces W. Saffron N.

1125 BC: Naissus founded (warrior).
                      Trebizond worker 11, Treb builds warrior. Worker11 S to road wheat.
                      Workers 146 road. Worker 7 E, 9 98, both toward Naissus.
                      Mag 69.
                      Saffron rests. Special Forces asks for Arabia's surrender. They spurn him. He was not happy.

He asked permission to attack, an elite warrior vs. regular spear. I consider it...consider it...and bid him good luck. Oooh...two hp lost. Wait, we hit the spear for two. He retaliates, but then Special Forces strikes the fatal blow. Justinian emerges from the rubble of Kufah to lead our people
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Now the Arabs will talk. We can get either Poly OR the city of Najran...this city is at the far corner of Arabia and would be tough for us to defend. I'll wait until next turn and see if Saffron can do some damage and try to get us more reparations.

What to do with Justinian? Army or FP? I usually build army, with the hopes that it will pay off via heroic epic with more leaders sooner.
                        Justinian 999.

1100 BC: Drop sci to 20% for +27 gpt and philo in 1 turn.
                        Const settler to Smyrna 988.
                        Worker 7,9,11 road. Worker 3 99.
                        Saffron NW. SF rests. Justinian NE.
                        Mag 69.

1075BC:
                        Philo researched. Normally I would take literature without hesitation. But I thought here have not yet built temples, let alone libraries. We are going to be warring soon with possibly all three of our neighbors, and we are seafaring. Furthermore, mapmaking is the most expensive tech available. In doing something I have pretty sure never done before with the free philo tech, I chose mapmaking and await your comments.
                        Sci back to 80% for literature in 8 turns.
                        Philo to Otto for Poly+121 gold. Poly to Hitt for 73 gold.

Saffron E for another Arabic warrior kill (no lost hp). SF rest.
                        Worker 10 SE. Worker 3 road. Worker 8 47.
                        Justinian 9. Mag 699.

Varna barracks, set to harbor, as is heraclea.

1050 BC: Barb spotted 87 from settler. Halted. Bring Dickus from Const, which is now 2/1/2

happy, content,unhappy.
                        Worker 8, 10 roads. Worker 12 E to mine. 4 irrigate, 6 mine. 1 SW.
                        Justinian 8. Mag. 978.
                        Saffron rest. SF S to hill, spots another Arab spear settler.

1025 BC: Const +1 entertainer.
                        Worker 7,9,11 irrigate. 1 Road.
                        Mag 98.
                        Saffron rest, Dickus N, SF stays.

1000 BC:
                        Dickus survives and protects settler. Settler and Dickus north. Naissus Mercenary fortifies.
                        Mag 977.
                        Saffron E to Damascus. Special Forces kills spear, captures settler = Damn Sam and Baghdad Bob, both of whom go N to meet their death and doom at the gates of some city. Arabs still only give Najran.
                        Const settler to Sardica 411; Grog to clear the way.

Justinian left to your discretion. I think I would given another turn build army and use it for heroic epic. OTOH, I did read about how watered down the FP is and since its location really does not matter, I think building FP ASAP is also a good idea.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• We have surpassed Arabia in score (213 > 209).
                          Demographics - we still
                          Attached Files

Comment

1250 BC (end of turn): Adrianople changed from desert to hill to kick out worker in one less turn (and +1gpt). Arabs move warrior N to meet Saffron. Arab spear/settler visible 8888 Damascus.

1225 BC: Sardica founded. Constantinople MM forest--> ocean (did not need extra shields to build settler).
                            Worker 9 E (maybe we can trade away an incense). Adrianople to settler.
                            Special Forces SW. Saffron...what to do with you...maybe we can run and pillage Arabia. Saffron NW.
                            Magellan 68.

1200 BC: Hittites building Pyramids (ummm, guys, you have like 4 cities!...but we'll be happy to conquer it later for you).
                            Workers 4679 all roading. Worker3 SW for irrigation. Worker2 moved S to start road to Sardica and spices.
                            Saffron sick of Arabic warrior. SE, kills him, -2 hp but promoted. Special Forces SW.
                            Magellan 69.
                            Constantinople settler: Ottos blocked, war w/ Arabs, so 998 Adrianople to block Hitts.

1175:
                            Heraclea worker10 SW to road (build barracks). Worker8 SW to road to Chalcedon. Worker2 road.
                            Saffron W. Special forces SW.
                            Magellan 978

1150 BC: Ottomans building TOA.
                            Worker10 road. Worker 4 SE. Worker 6 24. Worker 8 road.
                            Magellan 69.
                            Special Forces W. Saffron N.

1125 BC: Naissus founded (warrior).
                            Trebizond worker 11, Treb builds warrior. Worker11 S to road wheat.
                            Workers 146 road. Worker 7 E, 9 98, both toward Naissus.
                            Mag 69.
                            Saffron rests. Special Forces asks for Arabia's surrender. They spurn him. He was not happy.

He asked permission to attack, an elite warrior vs. regular spear. I consider it...consider it...and bid him good luck. Oooh...two hp lost. Wait, we hit the spear for two. He retaliates, but then Special Forces strikes the fatal blow. Justinian emerges from the rubble of Kufah to lead our people
                            Generally speaking, I wouldn't attack a spearman with a warrior unless the situation is dire, especially an elite warrior. They aren't necessarily easy to come by! Glad it netted us a MGL, though

Comment

Now the Arabs will talk. We can get either Poly OR the city of Najran...this city is at the far corner of Arabia and would be tough for us to defend. I'll wait until next turn and see if Saffron can do some damage and try to get us more reparations.
                              I would be fairly inclined, generally, to just accept Poly. unless I had fairly specific reasons to want a farflung backwayer burg. This is especially so as we're not finished REXing yet and army is rather small. I know in this game that we are economically dominant and would be able to quickly train a superior army, but we really shouldn't be this far ahead

What to do with Justinian? Army or FP? I usually build army, with the hopes that it will pay off via heroic epic with more leaders sooner.
                              Justinian 999.
                              I've always thought an army is generally the way to go with the first MGL, especially with both MGLs and armies being revamped for C3C. A Swordsman army would be both devasting at this juncture as well as enabling the HE, as you've pointed out, and later the Military Academy (though it has been significantly modified in the AU mod, it is still quite valuable). My general heuristic is first leader > army, second leader > FP, though this is, of course extremely situation-dependent and subject to change.

1100 BC: Drop sci to 20% for +27 gpt and philo in 1 turn.
                              Const settler to Smyrna 988.
                              Worker 7,9,11 road. Worker 3 99.
                              Saffron NW. SF rests. Justinian NE.
                              Mag 69.

1075BC:
                              Philo researched. Normally I would take literature without hesitation. But I thought here have not yet built temples, let alone libraries. We are going to be warring soon with possibly all three of our neighbors, and we are seafaring. Furthermore, mapmaking is the most expensive tech available. In doing something I have pretty sure never done before with the free philo tech, I chose mapmaking and await your comments.
                              Sci back to 80% for literature in 8 turns.
                              MM is certainly a valuable tech to achieve in any game, and as you say, it is quite valuable. My main quibble with it is just that I find it is usually the first tech researched by the AI that has Writing as a preq. Also, in this particular case I would want to have Literature so that Nicaea can build a Library without wasting shields, which will be cheaper than its current 'pre-build' of a temple and provide more culture, as well as being more useful should we turn it into a SSC. Also, especially as we're Scientific, I don't necessarily get Temples up and running before Libraries anyway, unless I'm Religious and not Babylon.
                              Philo to Otto for Poly+121 gold. Poly to Hitt for 73 gold.

Saffron E for another Arabic warrior kill (no lost hp). SF rest.
                              Worker 10 SE. Worker 3 road. Worker 8 47.
                              Justinian 9. Mag 699.

Varna barracks, set to harbor, as is heraclea.

1050 BC: Barb spotted 87 from settler. Halted. Bring Dickus from Const, which is now 2/1/2

happy, content,unhappy.
                              Worker 8, 10 roads. Worker 12 E to mine. 4 irrigate, 6 mine. 1 SW.
                              Justinian 8. Mag. 978.
                              Saffron rest. SF S to hill, spots another Arab spear settler.

1025 BC: Const +1 entertainer.
                              Worker 7,9,11 irrigate. 1 Road.
                              Mag 98.
                              Saffron rest, Dickus N, SF stays.

1000 BC:
                              Dickus survives and protects settler. Settler and Dickus north. Naissus Mercenary fortifies.
                              Mag 977.
                              Saffron E to Damascus. Special Forces kills spear, captures settler = Damn Sam and Baghdad Bob, both of whom go N to meet their death and doom at the gates of some city. Arabs still only give Najran.
                              Const settler to Sardica 411; Grog to clear the way.

Justinian left to your discretion. I think I would given another turn build army and use it for heroic epic. OTOH, I did read about how watered down the FP is and since its location really does not matter, I think building FP ASAP is also a good idea.
                              The thing about the watered down FP that is an "advantage" (or at least something that offsets the new disadvantages) is that it's now ideally located in the 2nd or 3rd ring, this meaning that rushing the FP is far less necessary than it once was. If we do go for the SSC in Nicaea, having the FP there in addition would be a major boon. Once the Library completes and a courthouse is rushed in I would certainly consider starting up the FP there and I would think it could be as little as a ~30 turn project. I know it doesn't look ideal for the FP, and it's not, but our palace is already very central on this continent and there's nowhere really to put it that's not going to be out on an "arm" of land. This in addition to the fact that the real advantage of the FP, IMO, is the increased OCN. Anyway, just things to consider

As Modo pointed out, we are doing almost too well, though I still think we're at a stage where there can still be discussion and learning, especially about the AU mod. I do, however, believe that we are at a stage where the student (or students, theoretically) would be able to successfully win this game without much difficulty. It will still be fun to finally get to try one of Arrians Ultimate Power games firsthand for once, though

Oh, and before I forget, post the save

Comment

• Doh!

Forgeting the save is contagious. I'll post it by 530-6pm when I get home. Sorry.

If you feel that we are too far ahead, I would be happy to be trained at the emperor/demigod level, and it might be more challenging for you as well. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X