pb2000's Roman AU MADNESS Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pb2000's Roman AU MADNESS Log

This is the thread for the first six-player, No AI AU mod PBEM (AFAIK).Unfortunately, if you are Theseus, snoopy, Paddy, Moonbars or Ljube, you may not read this thread.

Well, not much to say yet, just thought I'd give you guys my start position. No specific plans yet as little is known about my surroundings. Researching pottery full blast, making a warrior or two in the meantime. Gonna be an uphill battle, though, as we all had random civs and I got stuck with the Romans while the rest are strong civs except for Moonbars (Spanish). As you can see, I'm up against the Dutch, Chinese, Babylonians and Iroquois(!).
    Attached Files
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Nice to see you playing a MP game anyway!
    What size of map is it? Standard? Are there any barbs?

It looks like it will be a tough game for you, as you have not a particularly good start (although not too bad either.) Or are the start locations modded so they are balanced?

Keep the reports coming
    Roma aeterna! Death to the infidels
    Alea iacta est!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquinius
      Nice to see you playing a MP game anyway!
      What size of map is it? Standard? Are there any barbs?
      Small map. Everything else is random, so I don't know, but I haven't seen any barbs yet.

It looks like it will be a tough game for you, as you have not a particularly good start (although not too bad either.) Or are the start locations modded so they are balanced?
      The map is not modded. I agree my start is not top notch, but I suspect it may be alright. The looks of the map suggest a 3 billion age, so everyone may have quite a few mountains around. IT also looks like cold because I'm pretty close to the equator and there's plenty of grassland and only a hint of desert/floodplain in the north and three plains right by me. Also looks like 80% water, but that is more difficult to determine. All the forest further suggests a cooler map as well as a dry map. All in all, I do have freshwater as well as close coast, and if there are as few rivers as my guesses suggest, the Agr. civs may not be too powerful. There's enough grass land around to take advantage of quite a few hills as well as mountains later on.

Oh, and the first warrior will be built next turn. Will it go North, East, West or South? Who knows? Stay tuned to find out...
      Last edited by punkbass2000; November 10, 2004, 19:34.
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"

Comment

Small up date.

We are into 3700. Warrior heading a South, counterintuitively away from the equtor, as a) We're not too far from the equator anyway and b) North looks like a peninsula. I expect border expansion to discover that area for me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Good guesses about the maps climate. If they are correct then the other starts will have problems as well.

Let's see what your warrior will find; maybe the grass is greener on the other side of the mountains
          Alea iacta est!

Comment

Another quick update; just popped a warrior from a hut. Soon to develop pottery and have a pre-build for my granary.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, I think it's safe to say I'm isolated. I hope this is an arch map, or else I'm probably screwed. I think snoopy (as the Dutch) is likely to have huge advantages. Mine, Ljube and T's UUs are probably not going to be useful. I'm fairly certain that there won't be much land mas beyond what can be seen in this screen. I'm cetainly glad I went the pottery/granary route with only one warrior, as it seems barbs are only from huts (I popped barbs which are still around in the screen down south). Exploration won't be a big deal, and the short term loss of an early settler will be outweighed by my ability to build tons of settlers in the long run and fill out this isle. I want my first city on that hill 2 tile to the SW of my capital so that it will not need an aqueduct and will allow irrigation to be brought down to that cattle, but I'm torn because I also need a city two tiles to the W of my capital so I can get naval units out there. If there's ocean between me and everyone else it won't matter though, so I'm probably going to go with the hill first, which will build a granary immediately.
              Attached Files

Comment

It could be worse, you have at least two luxs. You have water.

Comment

Time again. Just completed granary. Lost conscript warrior to barbs; couldn't get the E one in above screen to attack on mountain feasibly and quickly, so I opted for the hills and evidently lost. Other warrior not doing too much, minor exploration.

Granary was built with spice forest chop, 10 turns at 2fpt and 2 turns at 5spt 1 fpt with the spice forest, while it was being chopped (it almost feels like an exploit ). Growth with full granary is imminent and a settler's on its way. At this point I see no reason to not pump out settler till island is full, aside from letting Gnome grow a bit.

Worker roading spices.

Long time till Writing, but self-research is not really worthwhile for it yet anyway. Also, another immense benefit of choosing Pottery at full blast right off the bat: preq. for Map Making. My main concern is whether I should try for Phil to grab MM for free or just go full steam towards MM. Given that snoopy, Moonbars and Ljube all start with Alph., I'm probably going to play it safe and bee line for MM; contacts will be important in this, I think. Also, with so many coastal cities, harbours and galleys will be pressing concerns.

Comment

_
                    Attached Files

Comment

Not a game update, per se, but just a note for anyone who might actually be reading this thread. The game is on hiatus, as, IIRC, Theseus is gone from last Thursday until this Saturday (2nd-11th) and Paddy is generally available only erratically, so the entire PBEM forum has now come to an abrupt halt

Comment

Working...
                      X