No announcement yet.

Choose the next AU course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are virtually none of the PBEMs in that forum played with AI civs?
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Too easy to exploit, too easy to kill (not so much AI to AI trade pretty much kills them). Basically not worth it, except for some special purposes (a punching bag comes to mind).
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

MP vs SP again

I see no reason why you can't have both choices at the same time. These are radically different games (MP vs SP). Running both at the same time just gives people more choices.

PBEM is hands down the best because the AI is HI. And I would also declare that it makes the most interesting DARs.

The PBEM format only has one drawback. Commitment.

With existing commitments to spouses, children, employers, ect. Having time to commit to being a "proper" CIV MP player is difficult if not impossible. Which is why SP is the "Only Way For Some to Play."

Pleae don't leave us out again.

NOTE: If the AU does run two classes at the same time, they have to be completely different courses. SP is way quicker and can spoil MP no matter how vigilant everyone is. And delaying the start will only punish SP participants.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
          With existing commitments to spouses, children, employers, ect. Having time to commit to being a "proper" CIV MP player is difficult if not impossible. Which is why SP is the "Only Way For Some to Play."
          most of my AU games end up being old AU courses by the time I finish them, so I would go with replaying an old course (updated to C3C just might draw a few more in). Im still playing AU504 - just about cleared the continent....

Although in theory PBEM requires not too much time, I can not in all honesty sign up knowing I can give less commitment than I would anticipate, and expect of others.

So, does AU 'move on' with a MP game, and run a parallel revamped old course. Nothing to stop you playing both - and would provide a feast of DAR's which would enliven the forum again.

(More WW2 DAR in the Strategy thread please - we are on tenterhooks here... (or there?))

Comment

i voted the no wonder building, I would extend it to no capturing either: if there is a city with a wonder u may not capture it.

otherways updating al the former courses wouldn't be bad.

Greetz
            http://www.danasoft.com/sig/scare2140.jpg

Comment

I voted for Nathans "maximize wonders" game, already yesterday. It's the only scenario I might be interested in, because I didn't play a UP game for maybe 2 years.

Yeah, but with a long playing time and some important contributors missing from the PBEMs, the learning value of those is suddenly down in the cellar, big time. What stays is the fun part, so Sir Ralph would be pleased. Unfortunately, it doesn't help much when you're trying to improve your skills.
              to the fun part; but please don't associate the lack of the scholastic aspect with me, it wasn't me who brought that up. My concern was and is the coexistence of learning and fun, as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                to the fun part; but please don't associate the lack of the scholastic aspect with me, it wasn't me who brought that up. My concern was and is the coexistence of learning and fun, as much as possible.
                Another flame?

I didn't mean to do that and I'm sorry if that's how it sounded to you. My use of language is biased by experiences with mathematical logic, where separate sentences mean just that - separate sentences. Thus, I didn't feel like I was associating you with anything but the fun part . Again, sorry.
                Last edited by Modo44; November 6, 2004, 13:11.
                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

which ever is chosen, can we include a resolution on the cavalry and subs that are ongoing at the moment?

It will mean waiting until they are resolved, but this may put some impetus into that.
                  Last edited by JimiD; November 7, 2004, 05:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                    Another flame?
                    I have really no desire to drag that discussion in another thread. No, I didn't think that you wanted to say it this way. I just wanted to make sure, everybody else understands it right. No need to apologize.

Comment

My vote goes to the PBEM Diplogame. It'd be nice to at least give it a try.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I couldn't vote, but if i could have voted, I'ld vote for 4-person fast pbem.
                        Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Not that I am totally obsessed or anything , but a 4-player PBEM using the Ancient Civs mod, and starting with one of these two configurations might be fun:

1. Babylon, Persia, Phoenicia, Egypt
                          2. Babylon OR Persia (delete the other), Phoenicia, Egypt , Hittites

The AI civs would be far enough away that no one player could really take much immediate advantage.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                            Not that I am totally obsessed or anything ,
                            REally? I was under the impression it had pushed you beyond madness...
                            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

I actually voted for a Replayed course on a new map, before I voted against it

Comment

VOTED:A succesion game training

Why, becuase I have never done this....
                                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                                X