AU 504 Glory of Culture Game Parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 504 Glory of Culture Game Parameters

Dominae suggested that I set up the scenario for this game, and I'm willing to do so if no one else who hasn't set up an AU scenario recently is interested. It will be a little awkward for me both setting up the scenario and playing, but I've done it in the past without its spoiling my fun (way back in the old AU 201 "Quest for Ultimate Power" game). Needless to say, any comparsion between my game and the games of others would have to keep in mind my access to spoiler information, even though I'd try not to use it.

The game parameters I have in mind are:

Standard size
    Continents
    Either 60% or 70% water (as determined by the poll in this thread)
    Random climate/temperature/age (generating maps until I find something I like)
    Roaming barbarians

I'm thinking in terms of having all the rivals be religious or scientific civs, selected more or less at random (using rolls of dice or some such).

The two significant issues that remain outstanding in regard to the actual scenario design are:

1) Dominae suggests 70% water (the middle setting) to make what we learn more applicable in other games, while another person or two has expressed a preference for 60% water (maximum land) in order to make the game easier since most of us probably aren't used to aiming specifically for cultural victory. The poll with this thread is aimed at addressing that issue.

2) What civ do we play? I'll address that in a separate thread.

(Of course there's also the ongoing debate about exactly how to define the course description. But since both sides seem to be content with having the space race victory condition turned on in the scenario, with the main point of contention being whether humans are allowed to use it if an AI is about to, that's not really a scenario design issue as such.)

Depending on how quicly the AU Mod panel votes, I'm hoping to get the game going sometime Saturday or, at the latest, Sunday.
    70% (Average) - Make the game typical.
    56.25%
    60% (Maximum land) - Make the game a bit easier.
    25.00%
    Any world with bananas is fine with me.
    12.50%
    Any world is fine. I don't even care about the bananas.
    6.25%

The poll is expired.

70%
    People looking for an easier game should play a level lower...
    The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

70% water

60% could backfire, giving a really bad KAI. This is a couple test games talking.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Bananas!
        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
        -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

60%, and KAIs be damned!!!

/me the KAI Stalker
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

60%, voting to get some more nOObs involved.
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

70%.....better for comparison purposes to most of my games

How about going for a wet earth.....presumably more FP's and rivers for growth. I'm also fairly partial to 3 billion year worlds, since I love the look of mountainous barriers.

As for AI, I don't think you should go out of your way to choose Religious/Scientific ones. I'd focus more on a spread of traits, but with nearby UU's that may present a bit of a challenge (remember ducki's accursed Iroquois in AU502?).

Looking forward to this game....cheers Nathan
              Last edited by Aqualung71; September 18, 2004, 21:06.
              So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
              Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

This should be a great game! Hopefully I'll get around to posting some civgroup news.

Comment

Working...
                X