X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAR of Betacles the Builder - Defender of Greece

Betacles the Builder - Defender of Greece
    Attached Files
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

[b] DAR for the Greek side of the AU601 game between Rhothaerill of the Romans (booo, hisss) and Betacles of the Greeks (hurray, hooraw).

This DAR is a bit late in coming, but I have kept pretty good notes and a number of screenshots. Furthermore, the game is just getting to the real interesting part.

The DAR will comprise 4 elements:

1. A simple recounting of the game from my perspective.
    2. Screenshots which help explain the situation.
    3. My observations, musings, and deliberations on key moments and aspects of the game. (in italics)
    4. The occasional and obligatory speech saluting the Light that is Greece and denouncing the Darkness that is Rome.

and

As I have not checked any of the other DAR's, as is a requirement of the game, I am not sure to the extent which others may ask questions or dialogue in this thread. I presume alexman knows best.

Speaking of whom, alexman - GREAT GAME!!!! Rhoth and I are having a great time exploring this scenario - and I believe we have taken different approaches to it.

{edit} Sir Ralph, sorry - did not realize you were the mastermind behind this. I should've known. Excellent set up. You are to be congratulated.

On to the DAR....
    Last edited by Beta; September 6, 2004, 23:44.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

4000 BC

I build on the site. First decision is the tech. Pottery (15 turns) or writing (50 turns). I pick writing.

Quickly get the wheat tile mined to produce units.

I am conscious of getting a warrior produced quickly, but more because of recent PBEM experience. (Ask Sir Ralph.) In retrospect, I should have realized that Rome would not be an immediate neighbour, and that the early warrior may not have need be a first priority.

3500 BC

3 warriors - one at home keeping the peace. Find the hut to the east (5 tiles from Athens) . Barbs.

3450 BC

I get pottery from the hut to the NW.

Now wondering if I should have sent both warriors east. West looks like coastline - where I may have had some time to explore.)

3250 BC

Contacted Egyptian warrior on the border of the great desert to the north. They have masonry, W.C., and C.B.. I have B.W. and alphabet. We make a deal of masonry for alphabet.

I think Cleopatra likes me. I certainly like her.

3050 BC

Goody hut spotted to the SE, two tiles away. Fingers are crossed.

2900 BC

Barbarians from the hut.
      Last edited by Beta; September 6, 2004, 23:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
        Speaking of whom, alexman - GREAT GAME!!!!
        Those thumbs belong to Sir Ralph, actually.
        I had nothing to do with the scenario creation.

Glad you're having fun, anyway. I have been following Roth's DARs with interest and I'm anxious to see your side of the story.

Comment

2900 BC

Meet Babylon. Trade alpha and masonry for C.B. and W.C and 10 gold.

This is NOT a great trade deal, but I need the techs, and I want to keep friends with the neighbours.

2800 BC

Settled Sparta 2-2-3 from Athens (to the south)

2670 BC

Got Mysticism from a hut

Zeus smiles upon the chosen people.

2590 BC

Meet the Persians. I have a reasonable tech lead. I am up on the Persians by Pottery and C.B., and on the Babs and my beloved Cleo by Mysticism.

And I have writing in 11 turns.

2550 BC

Plan for Athens is worker in 2 turns, settler 6 after that, and building a granary in Sparta. It has the flood plain tiles to work.

2470 BC

Meet the Germanics. They are a serious lot. Alphabet has clearly made the rounds and is not worth as much. But Mysticism, with Alphabet gets me the Wheel. I still have to meet the Celts and the Carthaginians.

2430 BC

Mysticism to Egypt for 20 gold.

This is done for friendship and pocket change, not to mention my enduring love for her.

2230 BC

Settler produced in Athens - will head north to the luxury tile. Meanwhile - I have 3 hoplites for home defence - and they are busy with local barbs.

2190 BC

Writing Completed.
          Started philosophy; 18 turns to completion.

2110 BC

Thermopylae built on spice tile 7-7-7 from Athens.

2030 BC

A trading turn:

Trade writing to Persia for HBR and 5 gold.
          Trade Mysticism and the Wheel to Babylon for I.W.
          Trade HBR to Egypt for 25 gold.

At this point, I am feeling OK. The trading has worked well. I am willing to do most any trade that works for one of the AI civs, and which gets me either tech or gold.

1990 BC

So at this point:

Persia is annoyed with me - but weak militarily.
          Bablyon is cautious - and average.
          Egypt is polite - - and average.
          The Germanics are annoyed - (I don't think they have good bowel movements) - and average.

I have 4 warriors and 3 hoplites.

I have all the first tier techs, and IW, Writing, Mysticism, and HBR. I am well into Philosophy.

No sign yet of the Carthaginians, the Celts, ...or the Romans.
          Last edited by Beta; September 6, 2004, 23:41.

Comment

Greece in 1990 BC
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Beta; September 8, 2004, 21:10.

Comment

1830 BC

Sparta builds granary. Philo in 5.

I have to enter Persian territory if I want to see more. I don't like to, as I know it will upset them, but exploration is key.

I also note that I am now average to the Persians militarily - and I am up to 5 warriors and 4 hoplites.

1700 BC

Looks like I am across Persian territory. I see the border of Carthage.

1675 BC

Hurray!!! First to philosophy. I take Code of Laws. I start Republic.

Sell writing to Germany for 125 gold, and Egypt () for 25 gold and a hot night in Alexandria.

1625 BC

Finally meet a Carthaginian. We are up on them in technology by Philo and Code of Laws.

I was hoping it would be more - but I am sure Rome has had a hand in this.

1575 BC

Corinth settled 9-9-9 amongst the bananas. A true city of Apolyton.

Comment

And also in 1575 BC...

Greece Meets Rome!

My warrior on a mountain is spotted by a damaged curragh - which has clearly had an adventure or two.

(the chronicles of Betacles the Builder will continue tomorrow, when Greece is left with no choice but to go to war for territory. Stay tuned.)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Beta; September 8, 2004, 21:13.

Comment

I'm hoping that your love of Egypt transfers to the Welcome Theseus PBEM!!

/me says: Go get'em Betacles... Avenge me! AVENGE MEEEEE!!!!!
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Well, I was attracted to yet another bold champion of the Greeks! And of course we honor, the fallen, dead and now dishonored fellows who have fallen before (namely Theseus). So, some comely adroit advise Beta; WIN!!!!!

That said Emperor Betacles, have you any lucretive 'positions' available for up and coming nobles? I like rich surroundings, SAFETY, and lots of money and slaves. Thanks, just don't put me in charge of ditch digging like my Grandfather under 'Theseus the fallen' had to do once those despicable Roman overlords arrived! They are without mercy beware!

Oh, gee not to get negative, something nice will do like 'High Minister in charge of Currency'. Er have you discovered that yet?

Sincerely,

PS, Theseus did indeed play a great game, cheers, I am drinking a toast in your honor at Mauseleum!
                    Last edited by Antrine; September 7, 2004, 19:35.
                    The Graveyard Keeper
                    Of Creation Forum
                    If I can't answer you don't worry
                    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                      I'm hoping that your love of Egypt transfers to the Welcome Theseus PBEM!!

* Theseus says: Go get'em Betacles... Avenge me! AVENGE MEEEEE!!!!!
                      Betacles looks at Theseus. Then he looks at Cleopatra.

Theseus, sorry bud, it has nothing to do with Egypt.

Thank you for your encouragement gentlemen. I will need it.

Antrine - to be honest, civilian jobs (unless of course you want to be a head librarian, or own a marketplace) are in short supply. If you want to command a unit of hoplites ...

:sign here >>>>>>>> _______________

Comment

Gosh Emperor Betacles, you are so generous, what will my 'family' think? I'll take the Marketplace, that way I can comfortably Pontificate at the local Pub.

Not that I not fit for the Hoplites, however it does sound like a long career off a short dock, so to speak. Is upgrading in the contract? My cousin might be interested.
                        The Graveyard Keeper
                        Of Creation Forum
                        If I can't answer you don't worry
                        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Good open, Beta

This looks to be one of the more entertaining of what have been some extremely entertaining games to watch, not that I have any bias toward one player over the other due to anything in any other game.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

What, you don't like bananas??!!
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Totally off-topic: BTW, anyone get my movie quote?

(Where are UnO and Tube when you need'em?)

Comment

Working...
                              X