AU 504: The Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 504: The Poll

OK, I've been thinking about setting up a single player AU game this weekend, so that people who do not have regular internet access/playing time can play along.

Most people (myself included) want AU 504 to be the single player version of AU 601. I would like this since it will not only please many posters an members, but it will also help in the comparisson of games.

However, it is not fair on the MPers if that map is released while any of the PBEMs are still being played, because it will mean that there is the ability to explore the map and find out where all the resources are etc.

So, I thought that an "AU 505" could be released, focusing on the balance of the traits in the game and AU mod.

I have a finished map, albeit a 200x200 monster, with all 31 civs on the map. All EXP civs are available to play, so we have the combination of the traits.

would you be willing to play such a large map, or do you want another, smaller map to be published?
    Yes, I want the big map NOW!!
    33.33%
    Yes, I want the big map, but will wait for AU 504
    16.67%
    NO, I want a smaller map, but will wait for AU 504
    16.67%
    NO, I want a different AU 504 NOW!!
    0.00%
    Give me that Banana NOW!!
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

I did want to play AU601 as SP, but am enjoying the DARs too much ( and learning more from them then previous DARs, keep up the writing..), and would not want to play knowing the whole map and setup .

I am still in the middle of AU503 (started again!), thank to Theseus's DARs, but have time for the next game in a week.

I think the idea needs a little more focus - how are we comparing them?

Also I dont think my machine will handle the size of map and number of civs as the game progresses.
    Cant vote for:

'Smaller map - dont bother with SP Au601'

but if I could i would

Comment

Huge with all 31!!

Hit me, im game!

I would probably succumb to hordes of zulus within 40 turns.
      Ive realised that the only way to play such a massive setup is to play 10-20 turns per session in the later game. Otherwise it turns into a chore

crilloan,
      -still not working at work
      longtime lurker

Comment

I think the idea needs a little more focus - how are we comparing them?

Since all of the playable civs are EXP, we will see how each player makes use of that particular trait.
        This is my main aim, since alot of the players who post that they think it is a useless trait may be able to undersstand why it can be as powerful as AGR (well, maybe not...)

The flip side of this is, except for the Zulu and Mongols, we can compare all of theo ther traits (admittadly it is not completely accurate, we would need other courses to explore that).

The last point is that it can be fun

crilloan, play the Zulus, crush everyone else for a change...

and your advice on how to play is true, that is how I play the late game stages of Huge sizes+, and it helps me keep my concentration.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Gimme a big map BUT I still think single player versions of 601 should be made available for those wqho would want to play.
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

The only thing that concerns me about the big map, is will most people be able to play it?

Comment

The thing that slows down most big maps is the amount of water squares, because the games algorthym checks every trade route. This map is Pangaea, so it is not affected until the AIs get rails.

Comment

It's a bit smaller than Gargantua as well.

Comment

True...

And some machines are more modern;

Most are a year older...

Comment

I'd say go ahead and post the game now for whoever wants to play it, and we can sort out later whether to make it an official AU game. Even if we do, we probably ought to make it something alongside regular AU games rather than a substitute for them so people who can't handle (or don't want to handle) such a huge game don't have to wait a long time for the next AU game they can play. (That was what I intended when I proposed the "gargantua" game last summer.)

By the way, if things are set up so players can choose any Expansionist civ, I assume you have the scenario rigged with the "Player 1" starting position locked and the slots that are left open for the non-player expansionist civs a long way away from the player (since they will end up different places in different games, at least assuming C3C works like earlier versions in that regard)?

Nathan

Comment

Ugh! Just a personal preference, but I can't play huge map games on my rig anymore. I just can't stomach the lethargic pace of my PC during what is valuable leisure time.

Catt

Comment

Personally I think the standard size is a little too big, so I'd have to excuse myself from playing anything larger the normal.

Comment

By the way, if things are set up so players can choose any Expansionist civ, I assume you have the scenario rigged with the "Player 1" starting position locked and the slots that are left open for the non-player expansionist civs a long way away from the player (since they will end up different places in different games, at least assuming C3C works like earlier versions in that regard)?

Bingo

Comment

I think I'll wait until I've started AU503 and AU601.

I would play a large map. But we have done it before and I'm doubtful of the learning value.

Comment

Krill sent me the following request :

I have a problem. I have made a mistake in my poll in the AU forum. I wrote down the wrong description on one of the choices. Could you please change the fourth choice from : "NO, I want AU 504 NOW!!"to: NO, I want a different AU 504 NOW!!
                              The change has been made, so if you think something has changed... it has

Let me know if there is anything else needed.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X